Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade PC or get a new one (for 5DsR photos)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 25, 2016 11:16 |  #61

Submariner wrote in post #17947663 (external link)
Yeah but yours is not broken like mine :)

Maybe Tims right but as I couldnt find anyone who could scientifically tell me which bits make it fast - for an extra £500
I got:-
40 PCIe electrical lanes
32 GB ram. ( note the whole shoot can go in ram)
6 Cores
ECC Ram
And those super fast PCIe NVME discs, someone said they are 4.5 times faster than my interim backup Samsung Evo 850s. And I would say it feels like it.

Call it insurance, I dont know which bits really make it super fast.

As far as I am concerened if I had saved £500 and put it on deposit, Lloyds are only paying 0.7% so thats less than £5 per annum interest! So defo worth it.

But all this depends on the replacement MB running reliably.

At his point I would be happy if I could just get mine to shut down reliably.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc.

Mar 25, 2016 18:03 |  #62

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17947704 (external link)
Yeah, you most definitely can...

Also, the OP never mentioned anything about 4K other than the screen resolution, which could be powered by the lowest end GPUs.

I was thinking 4k video editing. Not sure how 5dsr still photo editing compares.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

110yd
766 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 25, 2016 18:05 as a reply to  @ post 17947926 |  #63

The "something special" is the performance bump gained by using an SSD that takes advantage of the 4 lane PCIe bus. I built a machine for a buddy last week and put in a Samsung 950 Pro SSD, Intel I7-6700, Asus Z170 Pro Gamer mother board along with 16GB of DDR4. The machine would boot in under 22 seconds. I did not get a chance to install the normal Photo editing tools on it before it got whisked away. I have to wait a month or so to build one for my self. Monstrous difference between Sata 3 and PCIe (Ver 3) speed wise.

Regards,
110yd

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2016 21:38 |  #64

110yd wrote in post #17948639 (external link)
The "something special" is the performance bump gained by using an SSD that takes advantage of the 4 lane PCIe bus. I built a machine for a buddy last week and put in a Samsung 950 Pro SSD, Intel I7-6700, Asus Z170 Pro Gamer mother board along with 16GB of DDR4. The machine would boot in under 22 seconds. I did not get a chance to install the normal Photo editing tools on it before it got whisked away. I have to wait a month or so to build one for my self. Monstrous difference between Sata 3 and PCIe (Ver 3) speed wise.

Regards,
110yd

Totally agree, no stats just the impression moving the os to the pcie gen 3.0 SSD , from the 850 evo :) :)

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10,704 views & 6 likes for this thread
Upgrade PC or get a new one (for 5DsR photos)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.