Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND SDB777 (showing now: SDB777)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality8.5
Value for Money10
Bokeh6
Sharpness7.5
Contrast8
Focusing5.5
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II, reviewed by SDB777

SDB777
36 posts
Joined May 2015

Jan 31, 2016 15:41 |  #1

I will discuss the only downside to this lens first. The inability to accept a 'normal' filter, sure...you can make a set-up or even purchase an 'extreme' filter adaptor. But really?
If it were possible to stop the lens further then f/22 that would help, but it is what it is.

The positive side of this lens is the width! You get everything in landscape/nature. But it isn't f/1.2! So what, when was the last time anyone went out and took a landscape photo at that f-stop anyway? And this is the reason I purchased the lens....landscape. Too tight to get that 25mm lens? No problem for this one!

Would I recommend this one? Sure! Everyday of the week!
Will I be selling mine anytime soon? Don't hold your breath, I have a lot of shutters remaining on my Sony a7ii!

Did I mention this was made with full frame in mind? The DG series from Sigma is awesome on a budget!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

upesnlwc
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Jan 09, 2017 13:35 |  #2

I am looking at this lens, as well as its predecessor (Sigma 12-24mm F/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM IF ASP), mainly due to cost difference (the older version can be readily found for $350-$400).

Are you able to talk about any noticeable differences to help steer me one way or the other?

AsifSalam
41 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by AsifSalam.

Dec 06, 2018 14:39 as a reply to  @ upesnlwc's post |  #3

I have the first version of the lens, it is OK because the distortion is quite a lot :(

Also you need to keep that lens horizontal or full vertical where the horizon is in the middle to get an accurate representation.

On the 2nd version they did further improvement on that so that distortion is low but then I rented the new 12-24 F4 and oh boy, that is an invention.

even taking pictures you cant tell if they were taken by super wide lens however the price was way too much and the weight was really a lot to the point i could not be bother carrying that brick.

I do a lot of travel photography and as much as the 3rd version is the best lens for super wide but I stick to the 2nd version due to weight mainly.

I will try to post some photos by tomorrow :)

Sony A7R IV| Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 24-35mm f/2 Art | Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Sport | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II
AsifSalam.com (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 12, 2019 02:44 as a reply to  @ AsifSalam's post |  #4

Sorry to correct you but the mkI had lower angular distortion than the mkII. The mkI was spooky in the way the straights stayed straight...it was like an architectural lens. The mkII less so. But with rectilinear corrected lenses, lines stay straight but circles become egg shaped. Where as a fisheye (which isn't corrected) the lines become egg shaped and circles stay circles.

The mkI's achilies heel...other than massive inconsistency and quality control...was that it vignetted massively with mushy corners wide open. It was an f16 only lens for many.

The MKII had far better optics across the focal and aperture range but didn't have the super corrected straight lines that the mkI had.

There is no magic bullet / formula for super wide lenses. But both the mk1 and mkII have interesting takes on the concept.

If you want to go this wide...for many years these two lenses were the only full frame options. Sure the new Canon ef 11mm f4 L wipes this lens optically...but that's a very heavy and expensive lens to compare.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II, reviewed by SDB777
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.