Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?

Timza
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 31, 2016 17:03 |  #1

When I shop for batteries for cameras or laptops, I always see these...what could be called off brands of batteries that I have never seen before. But I wonder if there is a known brand that is in fact better than the manufacturers original batteries. I have always gone out of my way to buy exactly the look and model of the batteries that came with my cameras. But is there a brand I should be looking for instead that may have better life or better quality?

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2016 17:12 |  #2

Hey Timza. I think you might get some good information if you let us know what camera you are using. The 3rd party offerings tend to vary a lot so it helps to narrow it down.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 31, 2016 17:14 |  #3

Canon batteries are crazy expensive. Many members here, including me, have had good results with SterlingTek and Wasabi.

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Timza. (3 edits in all)

Jan 31, 2016 17:34 |  #4

I am not sure I want to say a specific camera [Cough]Canon G16[\Cough]. If there is such a brand of batteries, like Coke, or Honda, or Canon, then that brand of battery would be good for all cameras. And it would be known by people here. I have been out of photography for a long time, and have simply purchased point and shoot cameras and then purchased more chargers and batteries identical to what came with the cameras.

This place: http://www.safebatteri​es.com/ (external link) appears to make fresh batteries that are better than what come with laptops. And since my laptops are older, this place interests me for laptops because it as been hit and miss buying older batteries for my older laptops, even if the batteries are said to be "new." And makes me wonder if there is a place like that for cameras.

I like the name Wasabi.

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 31, 2016 17:40 |  #5

And when people sold cameras used, just like they point out the brand and model of memory card, they would say, and it comes with a 20,000 mAh Big Blue battery!

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 31, 2016 20:12 |  #6

Lenmar?

Digipower?

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,207 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 31, 2016 20:55 |  #7

Timza wrote in post #17880941 (external link)
Lenmar?

Digipower?

Those would probably work, but as was said earlier, you can't go wrong with SterlingTek or and Wasabi.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2016 20:58 |  #8

I bought a Lenmar NB-5L compatible as a second battery for my Canon S100. It was on sale and cost less than 1/5 the price of the Canon equivalent. I need 2 batteries because they don't last long in cold weather, so I keep one warm in a pocket and switch batteries every hour or two. (They recover their charge when warmed back up.) No problems at all so far... but I don't leave either battery charging unattended.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 01, 2016 09:34 |  #9

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=79584. It's a sticky.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,729 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Phoenixkh.

Feb 01, 2016 10:46 |  #10

I've been using SterlingTek batteries for Canon cameras for years now without issue.

I picked up a 1D4 IV a few months ago and ordered a Wasabi LP-E4 not long the purchase (SterlingTek doesn't make this battery). It charged initially... didn't have any issues. Yesterday, I put it in the camera and it only had a 50% charge. Not all that surprising since I hadn't charged it since November and it was the first charge. I just popped it into the charger and at the end of the cycle, all three of the charge indicator lights were flashing. The manual says that this means the internal temperature is out of spec (over 104 degrees F).

I emailed Wasabi though Amazon. I'm sure they'll either replace or credit me for the defective battery. I decided to just buy a Canon battery. Quite a bit more money..... but I get nervous fairly easily.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,064 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2016 11:45 |  #11

Assuming you live in the States, where the Wasabi and SterlingTek are both available direct from their importers, then take the advice already given and get one or the other. Wasabi tends to bundle two with a charger whereas SterlingTeck sells singles and bundles. I do suggest ordering direct from the importer so you acquire fresh stock.

There is little reason to suffer from analysis paralysis on something likely to be less than $20 (for the battery only).

You indicate the G16 as camera of choice. The Wasabi link is http://www.bluenook.co​m …rger-NB-10L/dp/B012PTKILO (external link).

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,715 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 01, 2016 11:51 |  #12

I know I'm spending more than I have to, but I have used only Canon's batteries. Considering a battery lasts me 4-5 years, I am worry free.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,064 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 01, 2016 12:01 as a reply to  @ Tapeman's post |  #13

The SterlingTek link is http://sterlingtek.try​nt.com/canon-nb-10l-battery/ (external link) and the battery is $12. Note that SterlingTek does not specifically say it is compatible with the G16, although the SterlingTek product on Amazon says it is guaranteed to be compatible with the G16. If you feel uncomfortable email SterlingTek and ask. They are very good about response.

The direct Wasabai link is http://www.bluenook.co​m …rger-NB-10L/dp/B012PTKILO (external link). It states compatible with the G16.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 01, 2016 14:38 |  #14

lar55 wrote in post #17880980 (external link)
I bought a Lenmar NB-5L compatible as a second battery for my Canon S100. It was on sale and cost less than 1/5 the price of the Canon equivalent. I need 2 batteries because they don't last long in cold weather, so I keep one warm in a pocket and switch batteries every hour or two. (They recover their charge when warmed back up.) No problems at all so far... but I don't leave either battery charging unattended.

I try not to leave any battery charging unattended if I can avoid it, especially lithiums.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,064 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 01, 2016 16:41 |  #15

lar55 wrote in post #17880980 (external link)
I bought a Lenmar NB-5L compatible as a second battery for my Canon S100. It was on sale and cost less than 1/5 the price of the Canon equivalent. I need 2 batteries because they don't last long in cold weather, so I keep one warm in a pocket and switch batteries every hour or two.

If you carry batteries in your pocket make sure the terminals are covered with the protective cap or carry them in a good container. Most rechargeable batteries make excellent short term welding machines :) if their terminals get shorted.

sponsored links

27,208 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.