Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by mike_d.

Oct 16, 2016 11:48 |  #31

AlanU wrote in post #18158336 (external link)
For Canon please give me a 3rd party company that gives identical performance and reliability?

If you miss a pivotal moment during a clients EVENT because you saved $40 on a 3rd party battery is wonderful LOL!!!!

If you missed your childs first step because a 3rd party battery died due to incorrect battery level (indicator) is worth saving some money right???

Joking and ribbing aside please tell me a 3rd party fuji battery that will perform identical to oem. There is nothing out there that is comparable to OEM.

My DSTE cheapy battery on my gh3 worked.......it was a spare but otherwise I would use OEM first and use 3rd party for last ditch efforts in keeping the camera going.

IF you do "PAY" you do get a reliable battery. Why do you think people use OEM as a benchmark/reference???​????? because it's a comparison of reliability and longevity. You understand maH is an absolute joke in the 3rd party world because we all know they typically do not last as long as an oem. If this case was the opposite I'd only buy 3rd party!!

Been there...done that.....

For my fuji gear if I use it in a more serious manner I'd throw away all of my 3rd party batteries and use only OEM.

If price were the same or even close, I'd go OEM. But they're not.

Even if 3rd party batteries were 60% the capacity of OEM, you'd still be ahead due to the extreme price of OEM batteries. I rotate through 4 batteries (1 Canon, 1 Sterlingtek, 2 Wasabi) and they all work fine and none of them stand out as lasting longer/shorter than the others.

sponsored links
eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 16, 2016 12:01 |  #32

I doubt Canon makes it's own batteries. They are most likely produced by the same companies that produce the third party batteries. You will never be able to convince me that a Canon battery is so superior at almost $100, as opposed to $20 third party battery.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,636 posts
Gallery: 131 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 12:14 as a reply to  @ eddieb1's post |  #33

I'd like to find the third-party company that makes canon batteries. No one in the world has yet to find this so-called company. If so please tell me!!!!

Fuji is my secondary system. Since it's a secondary system it does not get used for high Importance photography. This is where I have tolerance for third-party products.

I imagine if you do research on the net you would hear some people having some epic failures at the wrong time with third-party batteries versus oem. In fact I read recently of a POTN member having a battery failure while shooting a wedding with a third-party battery . I personally have never heard this happen with an OEM battery but things can happen ....but more so with third-party IMO.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2016 12:20 |  #34

AlanU wrote in post #18158379 (external link)
I'd like to find the third-party company that makes canon batteries. No one in the world has yet to find this so-called company. If so please tell me!!!!

Show me pictures of the Canon-owned factory in Japan producing the cells and the Canon-owned factory in China producing assembled batteries.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,600 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 16, 2016 12:20 |  #35

Fuji is my secondary system. Since it's a secondary system it does not get used for high Importance photography. This is where I have tolerance for third-party products.

I imagine if you do research on the net you would hear some people having some epic failures at the wrong time with third-party batteries versus oem. In fact I read recently of a POTN member having a battery failure while shooting a wedding with a third-party battery . I personally have never heard this happen with an OEM battery but things can happen ....but more so with third-party IMO.

I never have epic failures, because I never do epic shooting! :-)

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 16, 2016 12:21 |  #36

To each his own. You'll probably have me believe they make every screw they use. All companies use suppliers. It's normal business. But you're welcome to believe what you want.:rolleyes:

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 16, 2016 12:23 |  #37

Archibald wrote in post #18158382 (external link)
I never have epic failures, because I never do epic shooting! :-)

+1:mrgreen:

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2016 12:26 |  #38

If you do enough Googling, I'm sure you'll find stories of wedding photographers forgetting to pack memory cards too.

In my experience, short of a Samsung situation, batteries do not fail suddenly. They hold a charge less and less, then die. This is why you carry spares. And with the low cost of 3rd party batteries, its easy to do so.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,636 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 12:39 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #39

Sterlingtek used to claim that they used Japanese made battery cells.

Mike tell me the company that makes canon batteries because then they have a new customer;-)a

So far I haven't heard any company producing identical or better performance than OEM at a cheaper price.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2016 13:13 |  #40

AlanU wrote in post #18158410 (external link)
Sterlingtek used to claim that they used Japanese made battery cells.

Mike tell me the company that makes canon batteries because then they have a new customer;-)a

So far I haven't heard any company producing identical or better performance than OEM at a cheaper price.

My Sterlingtek, Wasabi, and Canon batteries all say they're made in China from Japanese cells. The non-Canon batteries claim far high MaH ratings but in reality, they all perform about the same except the Canon cost far more.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,755 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Oct 16, 2016 13:58 |  #41

Since my first Canon DSLR, I have only purchased TWO Canon branded batteries.
That was the huge NIMH for the 1D back when no one made a knock off, and likewise for the 1D3 when the LP-E4 was introduced.

I've used a lot of brands of 3rd party, and the only problems I have ever encountered with any of them, was with some lesser known brands, performance was reduced, or over all lifespan was shorter. (or in the case of the 1D, the locking mechanism did not function as well.)

The only time I have truly felt that the Canon brand mattered was with the 1D bodies. The locking mechanism seems to be hard to duplicate for the 3rd parties. I worried about weather sealing etc. In the case of the 1D and 1D2, the simple solution was to use the cell body from a 3rd party, and replace the cap from an original no longer charging Canon branded battery. This usually resulted in a battery that lasted a lot longer than the original Canon.

I have not tried a 3rd party LP-E4/n yet, but I have to mention that right now the only batteries I own that are performing poorly, are both Canon branded LP-e4 and LP-E4n. One will no longer connect to or power the 1D4 at all, the other intermittently will give an ERROR 99. Replacing these with Canon branded batteries will cost close to $400.00. this is about 50% of the resale value of the 1D4 right now. Not a purchase I aim to take lightly. 3rd party will be less than $100.00

Back to more normal batteries, like the LP-E6, BP-511 and Rebel batteries,

If one is at all interested in things like math or economics, one could easily deduce that even with the worst performing 3rd party I have encountered, I got a lot more for my dollar than I would have with a Canon battery.

But more importantly, after my very first foray into 3rd party BP-511s, I went with batteries that were more reputable, and since then I have had batteries that equal the performance of Canon batteries in all regards, for a fraction of the price.

Delving back into the dreaded maths and economics of it, I am way ahead vs. buying Canon branded batteries. I've saved hundreds.

I will not knock anyone that is willing to pay extra for piece of mind.
At the same time, I'd not let anyone knock me for being interested in being a frugal consumer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,636 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 14:16 |  #42

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18158470 (external link)
Since my first Canon DSLR, I have only purchased ONE Canon branded battery.
That was the huge NIMH for the 1D back when no one made a knock off.

I've used a lot of brands of 3rd party, and the only problem I have ever encountered with any of them, was with some lesser known brands, performance was reduced, or over all lifespan was shorter.

If one is at all interested in things like math or economics, one could easily deduce that even with the worst performing 3rd party I have encountered, I got a lot more for my dollar than I would have with a Canon battery.

But more importantly, after my very first foray into 3rd party BP-511s, I went with batteries that were more reputable, and since then I have had batteries that equal the performance of Canon batteries in all regards, for a fraction of the price.

Delving back into the dreaded maths and economics of it, I am way ahead vs. buying Canon branded batteries. I've saved hundreds.

I will not knock anyone that is willing to pay extra for piece of mind.
At the same time, I'd not let anyone knock me for being interested in being a frugal consumer.

I think I had about 8 BP511 for my 5d and 50d. 2 OEM adn 6 Sterlingtek. 1yr those Sterlingtek had about a little over 1/2 capacity iirc.

With my LPE6(n) batteries they last long and I just bought extra oe canon batteries.

Truthfully I'd really like to find a 3rd party battery that has identical performance of an OE battery.

Fuji - gone

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2016 14:27 |  #43

AlanU wrote in post #18158479 (external link)
I think I had about 8 BP511 for my 5d and 50d. 2 OEM adn 6 Sterlingtek. 1yr those Sterlingtek had about a little over 1/2 capacity iirc.

With my LPE6(n) batteries they last long and I just bought extra oe canon batteries.

Truthfully I'd really like to find a 3rd party battery that has identical performance of an OE battery.

Translation: "I got some bad 3rd party batteries years ago, therefore all 3rd party batteries today are junk."

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,755 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 16, 2016 14:51 |  #44

AlanU wrote in post #18158479 (external link)

I never had any Sterlingtek, so can't speak from experience there. My favorite BP-511 were called "Maha PowerEx" and they are in fact Powerful and Excellent. I just sold my IR converted D60 (yes, D60, NOT 60D) and gave away the 20D and 30D that used them. Of all the BP-511 batteries still kicking around, the Maha PowerEx were holding the best charge.

For LP-E6 so far the Wasabi's I bought after getting a then stylish new 5D3 are still going strong and these to me appear to perform exactly like OEM. They worked in the 7D2 wen I got it, and now they are still working great in the 5D4.

How old are those Wasabi's now? When did I get a 5D3? it was not immediately after 5D3 release, but later that year.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,636 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 15:00 |  #45

mike_d wrote in post #18158487 (external link)
Translation: "I got some bad 3rd party batteries years ago, therefore all 3rd party batteries today are junk."

Translation: assumption is very bad thing......

My DSTE 3rd party for my Panny GH3 was actually decent. Mind you I only had it for 4mths??? as I sold all of my M43 gear. My DSTE batteries for my E-m5 worked but my old original lasted much better than a brand new DSTE 3rd party.

My Fuji OE batteries live much long than my Tama or Upstart brand 3rd party. What I notice is the inaccuracy of the power level indicators on the 3rd party.

Mike it's not my concern what other photogs use for their personal gear be it professional or casual.

The thread states "Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?"

The answer is "NO" for equal performance and reliability to an OE battery. The answer is "YES" if your talking about "better price" than an OE battery.

Mike can you please tell me a 3rd party battery company that will equal long term years of performance and battery capacity??

I'm all for saving a few bucks.....aren't we all??

For the mirrorless world I think this is where spare batteries are more critical since they eat batteries quickly.

Fuji - gone

sponsored links

29,725 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.