Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2016 09:34 |  #46

Hmmmm. My experience with 3rd party batteries is limited but I just received 4 Wasabi batteries from Amazon. 2 were DOA. I hope this is an exceptional case.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

sponsored links
eddieb1
867 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 19, 2016 09:51 as a reply to  @ Trvlr323's post |  #47

It is.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,980 posts
Gallery: 464 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2016 10:08 |  #48

nqjudo wrote in post #18161062 (external link)
Hmmmm. My experience with 3rd party batteries is limited but I just received 4 Wasabi batteries from Amazon. 2 were DOA. I hope this is an exceptional case.

Well, that is very annoying, and unlikely to happen with OEM batteries. However, it does seem exceptional.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2016 10:12 |  #49

Archibald wrote in post #18161088 (external link)
Well, that is very annoying, and unlikely to happen with OEM batteries. However, it does seem exceptional.

Yeah. Strange. My previous experience with 3rd party batteries is limited to Sterlingtek and a Chinese brand I can't identify. My only issue with those was I found the capacity overstated. 1st time using Wasabi. At least I'm dealing with Amazon so I'll get them replaced without issue.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 19, 2016 17:08 |  #50

the BP511 from sterling-tek.. not very good
the LP-E6 from sterling-tek.. pretty good

the LP-E6 from wasabi.. eh.. meh..

It may be battery type dependent, date dependent, batch dependent, who knows.

so far my 3rd parties are not quite as good as canon, but vary between 60% to 80% as good.
I've never had any malfunctions or issues other than how long they last.

JMHO, YMMV.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 20, 2016 01:51 |  #51

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18158470 (external link)
I have not tried a 3rd party LP-E4/n yet, but I have to mention that right now the only batteries I own that are performing poorly, are both Canon branded LP-e4 and LP-E4n. One will no longer connect to or power the 1D4 at all, the other intermittently will give an ERROR 99. Replacing these with Canon branded batteries will cost close to $400.00. this is about 50% of the resale value of the 1D4 right now. Not a purchase I aim to take lightly. 3rd party will be less than $100.00

I believe all 3rd party LP-E4 batteries will work on the 1Dx but not show charge status in the camera (which they do in the earlier 1D series). With that one limitation, my Wasabi battery works great in my 1Dx. I generally bring it along to use in case a shoot goes excessively long, because I know it will last at least as long as the OEM under the same conditions- which gives me a rough estimate of how many shots. It fits well, too.

I have used nothing but STK and Wasabi on my 8 previous Canons, with superb results. Like you, the only batteries which have ever shown degradation are my OEM originals, which don't even get that much use. The price of one Canon-branded battery will buy a stack of STK units, allowing me to put fewer charging cycles on each and further extend their lifetime.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,370 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 20, 2016 18:52 |  #52

GregDunn wrote in post #18161768 (external link)
Like you, the only batteries which have ever shown degradation are my OEM originals, which don't even get that much use. The price of one Canon-branded battery will buy a stack of STK units, allowing me to put fewer charging cycles on each and further extend their lifetime.

This has been the case with me, and I've used Sterlingtek since 2006, when OEM BP-511 were scarce as hens' teeth for my classic 5D. I still have a 5D, and those same batteries still work, while the OEM batteries bit the dust long ago.

I long had worries of STK batteries failing suddenly on me just before a job, so I always kept plenty of them...failure never happened though. After Canon introduced its mini battery tester in the 5DII, I no longer worried about sudden failures with the STK.

I'm using STK now in EP-6, have been for years.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Joe ­ Cyr
987 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 26, 2017 09:37 as a reply to  @ post 18158392 |  #53

This is not entirely true. I have two Canon LP-E4 batteries that i have have for years now. Both bought at the same time. One works just fine, the other, will work for awhile, drop to 50% after a short time and then start blinking and completely shut off not long after that.

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by iazybandit.

Jan 26, 2017 13:27 |  #54

AlanU wrote in post #18158336 (external link)
For Canon please give me a 3rd party company that gives identical performance and reliability?

If you miss a pivotal moment during a clients EVENT because you saved $40 on a 3rd party battery is wonderful LOL!!!!

If you missed your childs first step because a 3rd party battery died due to incorrect battery level (indicator) is worth saving some money right???

Joking and ribbing aside please tell me a 3rd party fuji battery that will perform identical to oem. There is nothing out there that is comparable to OEM.

My DSTE cheapy battery on my gh3 worked.......it was a spare but otherwise I would use OEM first and use 3rd party for last ditch efforts in keeping the camera going.

IF you do "PAY" you do get a reliable battery. Why do you think people use OEM as a benchmark/reference???​????? because it's a comparison of reliability and longevity. You understand maH is an absolute joke in the 3rd party world because we all know they typically do not last as long as an oem. If this case was the opposite I'd only buy 3rd party!!

Been there...done that.....

For my fuji gear if I use it in a more serious manner I'd throw away all of my 3rd party batteries and use only OEM.

I've never had issues with Wasabi or SterlingTek. The very very few times I did have issues, it was mainly that the camera could not communicate with the battery where it shows you battery life and shots. But the batteries still work once you escape out of the error message. The manufacturer sent out replacements without a problem and quickly too. I actually have better results with battery life with these two brands over OEM.

For your Fuji, Wasabi makes batteries for the X-T10 - https://www.amazon.com …466c16840d44893​3ccda3c279 (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller | BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 26, 2017 13:46 |  #55

I have used 3rd party batteries in my Canon DSLRs over 75% of the time. In fact, I have purchased camera equipment from the revenue of selling Canon-branded batteries to those Canon battery zealots. :)

I have had good and bad Wasabi batteries, Sterlingtek has been good, and back when Phottix made batteries, theirs were identical to the Canon performance (LP-E4).

I have also had Canon batteries go bad, without any real warning.

I don't need batteries that equal Canon's, I just need them to be close, and all the 3rd party ones I have tried realized that goal. The fact that I save about 65-80% on those is the icing on the cake I am looking for. I have typically then sold Canon batteries on the boards and over the years, that revenue/savings combination bought my first 7D.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,955 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 26, 2017 14:48 |  #56

The one place that I have had problems with 3rd party batteries were both in the instance of 1D batteries.

(of course this is where I now have two useless OEM Canon batteries as well, so,..)

the old NP-E3 NIMH for the 1D-1D2 series had a tricky bit of latching mechanism that no one seemed willing to actually re-engineer. The cells were often better than those Canon was providing, but the mechanics could be so bad you did not get a weather seal, or even a good solid lock in place.

The easy solution was you replaced the end cap with the OEM one from your dead Canon, you get brand new higher rated NIMH, with genuine Canon cap, and end up with a better than OEM battery.

Today I can tell you the same issue is there for 1D3-1Dx2 LP-E4 batteries. Until this week, I never had reason to try 3rd party LP-E4, but as two of my genuine Canon batteries decided to give up the ghost, (in neither case did they gradually fade out) I bought some 3rd party.

As with the old NP-E3, the latching mechanism was the weak point,. These were particularly low cost batteries a pack f three for like $50.00.. "Kaster" I think they are called. I likely should have gone Wasabi, but for my first experiment with LP-e$ I figured why not.

Two functioned fine, one the latching mechanism failed to function. I swapped the end cap with one from a dead Canon, and it is so far so good.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 26, 2017 15:10 |  #57

To add, the LP-E17 that is used in the EOS M, T6i are probably the only battery I would buy OEM. Reason being is because they are chipped and none of the aftermarket batteries are chipped. So it won't show battery percentage which I think is crucial.

FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller | BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2017 15:28 |  #58

1KIND wrote in post #18256142 (external link)
To add, the LP-E17 that is used in the EOS M, T6i are probably the only battery I would buy OEM. Reason being is because they are chipped and none of the aftermarket batteries are chipped. So it won't show battery percentage which I think is crucial.

Give them time, the LP-E4s were the first to be chipped, then the LP-E6, etc. :) It is a cat and mouse game with Canon and the aftermarket.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,850 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA.

Jan 26, 2017 15:44 |  #59

nqjudo wrote in post #18161062 (external link)

This is one of the reasons I said in response #11 "Asssuming you live in the States, where the Wasabi and SterlingTek are both available direct from their importers, then take the advice already given and get one or the other. Wasabi tends to bundle two with a charger whereas SterlingTeck sells singles and bundles. I do suggest ordering direct from the importer so you acquire fresh stock."

As of a few years ago batteries by law cannot be shipped by air at more than a 50% charge state. If they sit on some shelf for 4 to 6 months they may not properly charge.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 26, 2017 15:46 |  #60

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18256155 (external link)
Give them time, the LP-E4s were the first to be chipped, then the LP-E6, etc. :) It is a cat and mouse game with Canon and the aftermarket.

True but the LP-E17's aren't new to the market. It's been out for awhile. There must be something that Canon did that aftermarket is not able to replicate or bypass.

sponsored links

29,830 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.