Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,899 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 01, 2016 15:20 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #17881855 (external link)
My 6D does a decent job at 102,400 with MSNR. I think the 1DX II is H3 at 409,600. My guess is that will be pretty useless.

Depends on character. If the read noise is truly random, then you can go to higher ISOs by the same aesthetic standards, especially for images that are to be displayed small. In a few years when we have photon-counting sensors without read noise, ISO 400K will be quite usable for 8x10" images.

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,684 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 01, 2016 15:21 |  #17

How long will it take before the word CLASSIC is added to the EOS-1DX name?

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,145 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 01, 2016 15:29 |  #18

john crossley wrote in post #17881908 (external link)
How long will it take before the word CLASSIC is added to the EOS-1DX name?

Well that didn't take long, I think you just took the title. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,104 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 01, 2016 15:44 |  #19

That's an American thing. We from Sweden knows that it's the last model in a series that's the Classic one.

Anders

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 01, 2016 15:50 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #17881249 (external link)
If the DPAF sensor on a full frame camera is true, two other things must also be true. The technology will filter down to the 6D line. Canon will be releasing more EF-class STM lenses. I'm in, for the body anyway. Not sure how many redundant STM lenses my wallet can stand. A 24-70 f/4 STM is almost a necessity. A 70-200?, and a few fast primes maybe, 24 & 85? Maybe I'll just stick to the 70D and efs STM (+24-105 STM) lenses. This could get expensive.

what so special about STM lenses?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 01, 2016 15:51 |  #21

So glad I got a 1DX last month :-)

Not seeing massive improvements. Not interested in video so we shall see.

Hopefully some images start coming through.

Rough idea on release date?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,932 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 01, 2016 15:56 |  #22

I really excited about what I am reading with the specs. If ISO is clean I will likely purchase. I spoke to my assistant about her recent experience with Nikon Service. Wasnt very good at all. Others have also commented about that as well. So as good as the D5 release is, there are some drawbacks to Nikon...that and being heavily invested in Canon glass  :p

But from a logical place, they know they had to get it close going into the development with this thing. Sony came out I think Right after the current 1Dx release and nikon Jumped on board and release some great cameras. So my thoughts are, that they are gonna be very close to that D5 with sensor performance. This is a whole new sensor and ISO technology for this thing. man I cant wait to see test images.

If anyone sees anything, please throw it up on this post.

Sure would be nice to go to one spot to find all the leaks and test results v/s looking all over the place

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 01, 2016 16:15 |  #23

So far, only thing that's attractive to me is the 170 RAW buffer. That gives about 12-15 seconds worth of burst, which should just abut cover everything I would care to shoot.

But that alone isn't worth me jumping on the bandwagon early. Unless the DR and shadow-recovery has caught up to Sony/Nikon, otherwise, I may pass up "upgrading" until next cycle.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 01, 2016 16:49 |  #24

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17881941 (external link)

thats what i was wondering too

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 01, 2016 17:09 |  #25

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17881941 (external link)

Ltdave wrote in post #17882030 (external link)
thats what i was wondering too

On the C100 Mark II, they activate facial detection in DPAF. On the C300 Mark II, there's no distinction between STM and USM for advanced autofocus. Hopefully the C100 Mark III bypasses this limitation.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,932 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 01, 2016 17:20 |  #26

jwcdds wrote in post #17881973 (external link)
Unless the DR and shadow-recovery has caught up to Sony/Nikon, otherwise, I may pass up "upgrading" until next cycle.

From the testing I have done, the current 1Dx is pretty dam good until 12500 ISO..after that the files just fall apart in this area. This was the beef with these canon sensors. Noise, dark and shadow retention ad DR.....Sony Kills us

The D5 is just impressive with the sony/nikon sensors. Canon knows this. I cant imagine they would update this camera with out getting it in the ballpark with the D5. I dont think there are a lot of guys complaining about the AF points and cross points. D5 has the obvious edge.....but not enough there to make people change systems.

They have a lot riding on this new sensor and noise reduction capabilities. They must feel its as close or better. I really cant imagine Canon would send out a flagship thats 1 1/2 less in performance than Nikons D5. Thats suicide in my opinion.

I really think we are in for a surprise with the performance and im anxious to see how it stacks up

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:48 |  #27

jwcdds wrote in post #17881973 (external link)
So far, only thing that's attractive to me is the 170 RAW buffer. That gives about 12-15 seconds worth of burst, which should just abut cover everything I would care to shoot.

But that alone isn't worth me jumping on the bandwagon early. Unless the DR and shadow-recovery has caught up to Sony/Nikon, otherwise, I may pass up "upgrading" until next cycle.

Unfortunately that drops to 72 in the buffer if you write to both cards. Which I always do. I just don't understand why they didn't go with dual CFast slots. :-|

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 01, 2016 18:53 |  #28

rdalrt wrote in post #17882194 (external link)
Unfortunately that drops to 72 in the buffer if you write to both cards. Which I always do. I just don't understand why they didn't go with dual CFast slots. :-|

I wish this thing had dual CFast as well. I guess RAW to CFAST and JPEG to CF would be the interim solution for those needing worst-case scenario backup without the slowdown. That said, buffer of 72 is still pretty huge, even when shooting college and professional sports.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:58 |  #29

idkdc wrote in post #17882210 (external link)
I wish this thing had dual CFast as well. I guess RAW to CFAST and JPEG to CF would be the interim solution for those needing worst-case scenario backup without the slowdown. That said, buffer of 72 is still pretty huge, even when shooting college and professional sports.

As long as it doesn't work like the 1DX. On my 1DX's if I write RAW to both cards, the buffer is about 30. If I write RAW to one and jpeg to the other, the buffer drops to about 16.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 01, 2016 19:14 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #30

Oh, that makes sense. It's got to write to raw and jpegs at the same time = more processing needed? Never thought of that.

sponsored links

285,412 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.