Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 27, 2016 09:52 |  #1291

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17950497 (external link)
this is interesting - both better and worse

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/14211​37 (external link)

Wow...awesome DR at ISO 100 - best ever for a Canon sensor.

Need to ask a really stupid question here: does DR correlate directly to noise? Does that graph suggest that the 1DX II actually takes a step backward in noise over the 1DX at higher ISO levels?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 27, 2016 10:45 |  #1292

David Arbogast wrote in post #17950539 (external link)
Need to ask a really stupid question here: does DR correlate directly to noise? Does that graph suggest that the 1DX II actually takes a step backward in noise over the 1DX at higher ISO levels?

That is essentially the definition of DR (signal to noise ratio). However, the character of the noise matters. As far as I understand, most Canon's to date have had less "qualitative" DR than the measured quantitive value, because the pattern noise is so objectionable. Nicely random noise (even at a reasonable quantity) is less unpleasant, and probably easier to filter in post.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 27, 2016 10:56 |  #1293

sploo wrote in post #17950593 (external link)
That is essentially the definition of DR (signal to noise ratio). However, the character of the noise matters. As far as I understand, most Canon's to date have had less "qualitative" DR than the measured quantitive value, because the pattern noise is so objectionable. Nicely random noise (even at a reasonable quantity) is less unpleasant, and probably easier to filter in post.

OK, I've always just thought of DR in merely in terms of how much shadow/highlight recovery is possible and didn't make the necessary linkage to noise. Thanks!

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2016 11:05 |  #1294

How many stops is it from ISO 25600 to 64000, 2 or 3 stops?

I am asking because I just saw a 64000 picture from D5 and it was also usable the same as it is usable for this 1DX II for 25600 (i think the highest usable from what others was saying here in this thread).

I just think that this flagship cameras , should be competing on the usable highest ISO combined with a very good AF system because these bodies is for wildlife and sports.

Anyway, I am just wondering and that is all I can do :lol: because I may not be able to buy these cameras. :)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 27, 2016 11:09 |  #1295

Keema wrote in post #17950612 (external link)
How many stops is it from ISO 25600 to 64000, 2 or 3 stops?

Approximately 1 and 1/3 stops.

Mark

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 27, 2016 11:19 |  #1296

David Arbogast wrote in post #17950602 (external link)
OK, I've always just thought of DR in merely in terms of how much shadow/highlight recovery is possible and didn't make the necessary linkage to noise. Thanks!

Remember: there's no such thing as highlight recovery - if you place a highlight at 101% of the well capacity then it's clipped. DR is the ratio between the largest and smallest signal you can record, before that small signal is drowned out by noise. Thus better DR means more chance of getting useful detail from shadows before they disappear into noise.

Highlight recovery appears to exist because there's usually more headroom in a raw than what's apparent on the camera's histogram. With a raw histogram the camera wouldn't be misleading the shooter - 100% really would be 100%.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,181 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 27, 2016 11:31 as a reply to  @ sploo's post |  #1297

And i wish we had a true raw histogram. "Estimating" is sometimes difficult.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 27, 2016 11:52 |  #1298

jcothron wrote in post #17950643 (external link)
And i wish we had a true raw histogram. "Estimating" is sometimes difficult.

Yea. You tend to develop a gut feel for how much apparent clipping (flashing highlights) is actually safe (on your body), but it isn't ideal. With the 80D and 1DxII being slightly more ISO invariant it's less critical to push your luck (ETTR) as there's less penalty for pushing a bit in post; for lower DR scenes anyway - when there's plenty of scene DR you still want to maximise what the camera can capture.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,873 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2016 12:34 |  #1299

David Arbogast wrote in post #17950539 (external link)
Wow...awesome DR at ISO 100 - best ever for a Canon sensor.

If he did not normalize for input signal, then the 1Dx and 1DxII could be like two trends in DxOMark where the data points are at different measured ISOs for the two cameras. IOW, the trend could be higher at high ISOs for the 1DxII if normalized in that manner. I would suspect that the noise character of the newer model is better, though, making it possibly neater at high ISOs.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,873 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2016 12:39 |  #1300

David Arbogast wrote in post #17950602 (external link)

The top of DR is clearly limited by highlight clipping of the RAW. The bottom of DR is an abstraction, really; just a signal point where the read noise as a standard deviation has the same "quantity", but they are not units of the same thing, and are apples and oranges, really, but that's the standard used. The is nothing special that happens at this signal level, and the character of the noise and the size of the details needed in the shadows really determines the practical DR.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,873 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2016 14:11 |  #1301

sploo wrote in post #17950629 (external link)
Remember: there's no such thing as highlight recovery - if you place a highlight at 101% of the well capacity then it's clipped. DR is the ratio between the largest and smallest signal you can record, before that small signal is drowned out by noise. Thus better DR means more chance of getting useful detail from shadows before they disappear into noise.

Highlight recovery appears to exist because there's usually more headroom in a raw than what's apparent on the camera's histogram. With a raw histogram the camera wouldn't be misleading the shooter - 100% really would be 100%.

With JPEGs of "normal" contrast setting, and extreme white-balances like those for incandescent, there can be 3 stops of blue in the RAW, clipped in the JPEG.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,562 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by thenextguy.

Mar 27, 2016 15:05 |  #1302

Wouldn't it be something if Canon finally took care of low ISO DR and then they got criticized for worse high ISO? :-D

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 27, 2016 16:50 |  #1303

John Sheehy wrote in post #17950815 (external link)
With JPEGs of "normal" contrast setting, and extreme white-balances like those for incandescent, there can be 3 stops of blue in the RAW, clipped in the JPEG.

I was aware that the histogram is based on the JPEG data; thus with an extreme(ly contrasty) picture profile you could really be fooling yourself. I wasn't aware that under a normal/sensible circumstance you could get that level of misleading data though.

Seems bizarre that a RAW histogram isn't offered as standard. In fact, it would also be useful to have it indicate not just clipped areas, but areas that would fall below some accepted definition of a minimum signal to noise ratio.

Even better, it should surely be possible to code up an auto-bracket option; that would take a series of shots, whereby the darkest exposure held for some detail in your brightest highlight, then the remaining exposures ensured you got something down to a configured number of darker stops. Lots of "ifs" and "buts" there granted, but there would be some practical solution with a bit of thought.

thenextguy wrote in post #17950878 (external link)
Wouldn't it be something if Canon finally took care of low ISO DR and then they got criticized for worse high ISO? :-D

Well, we've got to have something to whinge about haven't we? :mrgreen:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,854 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 28, 2016 07:47 |  #1304

i hang up my camera the very day i start worrying about .1 stop of DR.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by wallstreetoneil.

Mar 29, 2016 09:35 |  #1305

Stolen from a FM post

- very interesting data
- and very interesting choice by each of Canon and Nikon with this next generation where to push and where to give up
- this will help sales to some potential buyers but may stop sales from others

1Dx II vs Nikon D5

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1575/25512127133_bf3fc810c1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ESqj​yV  (external link) Screenshot 2016-03-29 10.25.40 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1Dx vs Nikon D5
IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1543/25841893780_a8082ace85_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Fnys​GL  (external link) Screenshot 2016-03-29 10.26.01 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

283,516 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.