Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Feb 2016 (Monday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wheels up!

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 08, 2016 18:18 |  #1

Could someone tell me how I can clean up the dirty areas under the wings in either LR or PS? I think I remember reading about adjusting colors in certain areas.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 08, 2016 19:12 |  #2

I can't help with the cleanup. I will offer the opinion that propeller driven planes just look better with moving propellers. Try one at 1/125 to 1/200 and see what you think.

sssc
567 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by sssc.

Feb 08, 2016 21:30 |  #3

In LR play with the shadows and highlights and whites good starting point.Then if needed you can bring your expose up or down.Also you can get your adjustment brush and work on the parts you want to. Here check this out might be a tad of help for you in LR.https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=16891903

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 09, 2016 07:16 |  #4

Just a quick edit w/ a little touchup and added some spin to the propellers.
Hope you don't mind.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 09, 2016 07:37 as a reply to  @ DagoImaging's post |  #5

Cool! :-) How did you add the spin?

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2016 08:07 |  #6

For that dirty area on the wing just outside the camera-left engine, I would start with the Lightroom adjustment brush with the "teeth whitening" preset, small size, 50% feather, and low flow (like 20 flow) - gradually brush it onto the dirty spots.

The teeth whitening slightly increases exposure and decreases saturation, which should fix areas that are brown or dirty on a light-colored background.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

A1original
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 09, 2016 08:08 |  #7

Beat me to it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R|Canon RF 24-105L|Canon 6D griped|Canon 7D II griped| Canon 7D griped| and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link) Ira “No one here gets out alive”

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 09, 2016 13:01 |  #8

I made a quick selection of the blades and duplicated it twice (one side at a time). I then rotated two of the copies around a "midpoint" and then merged the three copies together. I than used the Blur Gallery to add spin blurr to taste. Then repeated the process for the other side.

Problem if you shoot at a slower SS it will add motion blur to the plane as well and to me that would ruin the image as you want the plane sharp.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2016 16:16 |  #9

DagoImaging wrote in post #17891737 (external link)
Problem if you shoot at a slower SS it will add motion blur to the plane as well and to me that would ruin the image as you want the plane sharp.

That's simply solved by getting your panning correct. I usually shoot prop aircraft at 1/160s maximum, but some really need slower, and of course slower also gets a fuller prop circle. The hardest are the big helicopters, things like the Sea King, which don't show much blur even at 1/60s. To be frank I think that your added effect looks very fake, as it is not the correct shape, and still shows the frozen props. I have to say that as far as I know I have never really seen adding the blur in post done really well. Really the only answer is using an appropriate shutter speed to start with.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 09, 2016 17:24 |  #10

DagoImaging wrote in post #17891737 (external link)
I made a quick selection of the blades and duplicated it twice (one side at a time). I then rotated two of the copies around a "midpoint" and then merged the three copies together. I than used the Blur Gallery to add spin blurr to taste. Then repeated the process for the other side.

Panning?

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 09, 2016 17:39 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #11

I'm assuming that means the way I handle the camera. The planes fly in at an angle from my vantage point. When they're further away I can hold the camera pretty still, (and theoretically use slower ss). Using continuous burst most of the shots motion is frozen, but then the plane is just too far away to make a good image. By the time it flies close to me it's moving rapidly across my field of vision and I'm probably jerking the camera around in an attempt to hold it still for the shots. Probably I'm better off sticking with a certain length and move the camera smoothly as the plane tracks towards landing.

- William Ernest Henley

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 09, 2016 20:06 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #12

If the plane was left to right of him, then yes, panning. At this angle it's gaining in closeness faster than a pan would allow to remove the blur.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 09, 2016 20:25 |  #13

DagoImaging wrote in post #17892341 (external link)
If the plane was left to right of him, then yes, panning. At this angle it's gaining in closeness faster than a pan would allow to remove the blur.

Hardly. If you believe this is true, you need to work on your panning technique. A moto-cross biker from track-side is moving much faster (rate of angular change) than this airplane at a few hundred feet is. A stock car moving down the front stretch of the local dirt-quarter is moving a lot faster than this airplane is. Lots of folks pan those shots with P&S cameras and get good results. Shutter speed is almost irrelevant if your technique is sound. You should be able to track an airplane easily at 1/125-1/200 and not get motion blur.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by DagoImaging.

Feb 09, 2016 20:37 |  #14

To each their own...I shoot motoGP races so I'm comfortable in my technique.

You also realize that twin prop is moving around 100mph?

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 09, 2016 21:37 |  #15

DagoImaging wrote in post #17892377 (external link)
To each their own...I shoot motoGP races so I'm comfortable in my technique.

You also realize that twin prop is moving around 100mph?

Yes, 100 mph. Speed is only part of the equation. Velocity is what matters. It is 100 mph at quite a distance, relative to say a hockey player. This plane was shot at 170mm. Any way you do the math, it is a few hundred feet away at best. It is also not moving perpendicular to your line of sight. It is angling toward you, which means it angular velocity is reduced by the cosine (or is is cosine?) of the angle from perpendicular. If I shoot hockey from the penalty box, or basketball under the net, the action can be moving a lot more quickly across my plane of vision than this airplane could ever hope to. A hockey player, moving down the near side of the ice at full-tilt-boogie (yes, I grew up in the '60s) will cross my 180 degree field of vision in less than 2 seconds. That airplane will be in your field of vision for over a minute. The conclusion is: the hockey player is moving at least 30 times faster than the airplane, relatively. Like I said, the air plane is going by you at a distance of at least a couple hundred feet. If I hang over the penalty box, the hockey player is going to run into my camera. (That will do all sorts of bad things: injure the hockey player, ruin my camera, and get me banned from the best seat in the house.) Distance matters. Lots of things are a lot harder to pan than a slow-moving, distant airplane.

sponsored links

7,670 views & 22 likes for this thread
Wheels up!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.