Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Feb 2016 (Monday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox TT600 and TT685 2.4G Wireless "cheaper alternative" Speedlites

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,345 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 28, 2016 20:24 |  #16

agv8or wrote in post #17916796 (external link)
What do you want them to step up? I am doing the best I can to the point of being annoying. I need more people sending emails to Godox. Just before the Chinese New Year I received an email back telling me as much. But I am not going to stop! :-)

Send emails to godox@godox.com and demand a professional shoe flash that we can use "on camera", that utilizes all the features of the 2.4G wireless system, rather than this mickey mouse, ancient 580EX technology crap they're giving us now with the TT685 and soon to be released v860II. And while their at it they could put a decent swivel head on the thing rather than these gritty friction devices that all the cheap flashes are using now. Make the head to tilt rearward rather than forward so that when you are bouncing flash "on camera" you don't have to swivel the head all the way around forward just to switch from one side to the other. While there at it make it weather sealed and a screen that displays 5 Groups with a dedicated button to select each Group individually.

Well, from your prior post about how YN is the go to mention of photographers when it comes to 3rd part lighting. I'd say mention to them to get their advertising out there.

The only reason I know about Godox is because of the ADORAMA Flashpoint 360. I just purchased my 3rd one. :) The way Adorama sells them cannot be beaten by ANYONE.
btw..the YN 622 triggers fire them just perfectly in conjunction with Nikon/YN/other speed lights. Personally I don't need "pro" speed lights. I NEED them to fire consistently which the YN does.
After Adorama adopts the Godox tt685 as their own I'll complete the switch to the X1 2.4g system for the sake of streamlining my lighting.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2016 20:52 |  #17

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17917066 (external link)
Well, from your prior post about how YN is the go to mention of photographers when it comes to 3rd part lighting. I'd say mention to them to get their advertising out there.

The only reason I know about Godox is because of the ADORAMA Flashpoint 360. I just purchased my 3rd one. :) The way Adorama sells them cannot be beaten by ANYONE.
btw..the YN 622 triggers fire them just perfectly in conjunction with Nikon/YN/other speed lights. Personally I don't need "pro" speed lights. I NEED them to fire consistently which the YN does.
After Adorama adopts the Godox tt685 as their own I'll complete the switch to the X1 2.4g system for the sake of streamlining my lighting.

I think Godox hangs back on their advertising because of their product rebranding deals they've made with sellers. There are 6 companies that I know of selling the AD360. You have these different sellers selling this product but not another product, one seller calls a product by one name while another calls it by his name. Confusion!

I realize most people would never need a professional shoe flash with a lot of the features that I have been hounding Godox for but, their current TT685 is basically a 580EX with a radio transceiver and it is not even fully compatible with either the X1 transmitter or the AD600B. Yongnuo has beat the Canon 580EX technology to death so I kind of expected Godox to up the game a little bit but, they chose the path of least resistence. Godox has a great new wireless system with some really top notch products for photographers at any level. What they do not have is a professional shoe flash to anchor the whole system. Right now that system just seems to be scabbed together.

Rand

Gear

elv
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 28, 2016 20:53 |  #18

From my own experience, discussion and enquiries have been 10 to 1 in Godox's favor the last few months.

YongNuo have some serious work to do it they want to halt that trend.

Ideally YongNuo need to improve the quality control and streamline the product range to make them all compatible. Since that's unlikely though, releasing a cross between the AD360 and AD600 with YN-622 compatibility would do the trick otherwise :-)

Godox have a lot of loose ends to clean up still as well though.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2016 20:57 |  #19

elv wrote in post #17917099 (external link)
From my own experience, discussion and enquiries have been 10 to 1 in Godox's favor the last few months.

YongNuo have some serious work to do it they want to halt that trend.

Ideally YongNuo need to improve the quality control and streamline the product range to make them all compatible. Since that's unlikely though, releasing a cross between the AD360 and AD600 with YN-622 compatibility would do the trick otherwise :-)

Godox have a lot of loose ends to clean up still as well though.

Don't give Yongnuo any good ideas. They'll probably have it out on the market next month :-P

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 28, 2016 23:48 |  #20

I agree with Rand about a "professional" speedlite.
What most event and wedding photographers need is an on-camera speedlite that can act as a fill flash and also as the controller for the off-camera units.

Canon got it right with Gr Mode with the 600EX-RT system.

For me, the perfect on camera unit from Godox would be a Lithium Ion batteries speedlite with X1 capabilities as a master so I can control 5 Groups using ETTL, Manual or a combination.

Simple solution -- reverse engineer the Canon 600EX-Rt system.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Ulysses01. (3 edits in all)

Feb 29, 2016 20:28 |  #21

dmward wrote in post #17917238 (external link)
I agree with Rand about a "professional" speedlite.
What most event and wedding photographers need is an on-camera speedlite that can act as a fill flash and also as the controller for the off-camera units.

For me, the perfect on camera unit from Godox would be a Lithium Ion batteries speedlite with X1 capabilities as a master so I can control 5 Groups using ETTL, Manual or a combination.

I realize most of the photographers and enthusiasts here are probably Canon-based. But the situation isn't quite as problematic for Nikon shooters. ;-)a

The TT685/600 aren't perfect, but you do get an on-camera flash that can control remote units (including AD600 strobes), as well as for fill. Personally, I don't REQUIRE five groups, though that would be nice.

I'm actually fairly eager to see a V850 II if in fact it will serve as a commander for the other 2.4 GHz flashes and strobes. (Or is the V850 II expected to be only a receiving/slave flash?)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by dmward. (2 edits in all)

Mar 01, 2016 07:36 |  #22

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17918458 (external link)
I realize most of the photographers and enthusiasts here are probably Canon-based. But the situation isn't quite as problematic for Nikon shooters. ;-)a

The TT685/600 aren't perfect, but you do get an on-camera flash that can control remote units (including AD600 strobes), as well as for fill. Personally, I don't REQUIRE five groups, though that would be nice.

I'm actually fairly eager to see a V850 II if in fact it will serve as a commander for the other 2.4 GHz flashes and strobes. (Or is the V850 II expected to be only a receiving/slave flash?)

The 5 groups are nice but I didn't use all of them that often.
What is more important is the Gr mode rather than the A:B ratio with C.

Will be interesting to see how the Godox stuff works with Sony TTL. My only experience with Sony TTL has been with the Nissin Air System which has three groups. It may be that Sony configures its TTL in groups for control. If so then I'll be satisfied with 3 until the X1 is released for Sony.

Having the on-camera speedlite as the master, without an underlying trigger, makes the package much easier to handle. I worked with the TT1 on camera with a 580EX II on top until Canon came out with the 600EX-RT. It worked but I broke more than on hotshoe or foot on the TT1.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ulysses01
403 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 01, 2016 11:53 |  #23

dmward wrote in post #17918942 (external link)
I worked with the TT1 on camera with a 580EX II on top until Canon came out with the 600EX-RT. It worked but I broke more than on hotshoe or foot on the TT1.

Never... ever... want to go back to that.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2016 13:04 |  #24

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17919230 (external link)
Never... ever... want to go back to that.

Me either. Control TL was the first game in town and expensive. With a lot of fiddling it would work, most of the time.

The Canon 600EX-RT on camera as master set a high bar for other manufacturers to jump over.

I hope Godox will take our advice and add X1 capabilities to the Lithium Battery TTL speedlite and then make it available in Canon, Nikon and Sony variants.

Ulysses01
403 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Ulysses01.

Mar 01, 2016 16:31 |  #25

dmward wrote in post #17919325 (external link)
The Canon 600EX-RT on camera as master set a high bar for other manufacturers to jump over.

I hope Godox will take our advice and add X1 capabilities to the Lithium Battery TTL speedlite and then make it available in Canon, Nikon and Sony variants.

In this area, Canon remains the standard by which all the other systems are measured. It's incredible. The 600EX-RT has been out for how long now?? [NOTE: Tomorrow, March 2, will mark the four-year anniversary since that flash was announced.]

We Nikon shooters thought that our own radio frequency flash system was therefore right around the corner. it would be nearly four years until Nikon would announce something that at first seemed worth getting excited about but which turns out to be a rather compromised system (SB-5000 and related accessories).

It's with good reason so many of us are eager to see somebody give us what we've been asking for over many years now. But it does sound like Godox is going to give us that lithium-powered master flash sometime soon. It may not be everything we want, but it ought to be a good start. I hope.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2016 17:27 |  #26

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17919636 (external link)
In this area, Canon remains the standard by which all the other systems are measures. It's incredible. The 600EX-RT has been out for how long now?? [NOTE: Tomorrow, March 2, will mark the four-year anniversary since that flash was announced.]

We Nikon shooters thought that our own radio frequency flash system was therefore right around the corner. it would be nearly four years until Nikon would announce something that at first seemed worth getting excited about but which turns out to be a rather compromised system (SB-5000 and related accessories).

It's with good reason so many of us are eager to see somebody give us what we've been asking for over many years now. But it does sound like Godox is going to give us that lithium-powered master flash sometime soon. It may not be everything we want, but it ought to be a good start. I hope.

If Godox is smart, and it seems someone is thinking considering what they've introduced related to TTL, they can easily become the market leader in multi-camera integrated TTL.

The X1 will be available in Canon, Nikon and Sony variants. The AD360 will talk to all three as a slave and can be loaded with any of the three as a master.
The AD600 can apparently also be loaded with all three as a slave. The TT685 can be had in each version with the appropriate hot foot. There are XFT-16 versions available to make the earlier manual version units compatible with the triggering system.

If the engineers are willing to put the X1 firmware into a Lithium Battery powered speedlite that supports all three variants they will have done what the three camera manufacturers can not. Offer to working photographers a lighting system the is independent of, but compatible with, whichever of the three a photographer chooses.

I loved my Fuji kit before going on to Sony, so I would enjoy seeing that added to the mix. Considering how limited Fuji TTL speedlites are, there may be some technical concerns that keep that from happening.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 02, 2016 13:56 |  #27

Well, as much as I love the cost and features of the new system, my new tt685 failed on me last weekend at the most inopportune time. ARGH!!!

Just last weekend shooting a wedding, I setup one AD360 and one TT685 for back lighting. And guess what, after a few test shots, the TT685 died... BRICK'ed with E5 code.

IMAGE: http://www.emaginepixel.com/photos/i-W6Lh5GT/0/L/i-W6Lh5GT-L.jpg

Oh... what could have been... here's the shot. notice the paperweight on the floor.

IMAGE: http://www.emaginepixel.com/photos/i-FBMzSwq/0/XL/i-FBMzSwq-XL.jpg

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 07, 2016 10:45 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #28

I have found the ideal setup with a ttl flash on camera...use canon 430 exIII as the master and control the godox light via the phottix laso receiver...check out my post at the end of the long 360II thread.
The 430 has group mode and you can mix ttl and manual...which is what I do a lot...it even controls my kicker light , which is a yongnuo 600rt. The point of this is that the on camera flash is very light and small, yet still has the power to provide the fill (in bounce mode, yet) so I can do very nice looking portraits on location very quickly and very accurately. I use this three light setup for commercial head shots and weddings. When I am doing outdoor fill work with my off camera 360II...I use the laso transmitter , which is even lighter than my 430 ex...its a great world!

stefpix
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2017

Apr 26, 2017 20:58 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #29

Hi, I had an E5 error as well on my Flashpoint version of the TT685. Adorama replaced it on the spot, but no idea what E5 is. It was a new flash and was using it for some backlighting in a small apartment. So it was not at full power.

For those who use 5 groups, what is a good way to keep track of which units are in each group?

thanks
stefano

nixland
515 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 27, 2017 18:27 |  #30

stefpix wrote in post #18339582 (external link)
Hi, I had an E5 error as well on my Flashpoint version of the TT685. Adorama replaced it on the spot, but no idea what E5 is. It was a new flash and was using it for some backlighting in a small apartment. So it was not at full power.

For those who use 5 groups, what is a good way to keep track of which units are in each group?

thanks
stefano

I usually set the A group for the main light and B to E for the rest, from the front to the back of the model.

If somehow you forget the setting, just turn off all groups, and test each group by turning it on one by one :)

sponsored links

29,664 views & 10 likes for this thread
Godox TT600 and TT685 2.4G Wireless "cheaper alternative" Speedlites
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.