Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Feb 2016 (Friday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are Adoramapix contest rules fair?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2016 11:50 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #17901954 (external link)
How many times do you need telling?

NO PICTURES WERE REQUIRED TO BE SUBMITTED.

And as for sharing private correspondence online - remind me NEVER to use an attorney who does that.

Helen...did you not post some private conversations as well? It's OK for you but not others?

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2016 11:52 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

LV Moose wrote in post #17901920 (external link)
Maybe that's the bottom line for you, and Carolyn. The bottom line for me is, read the rules, including the fine print, and don't enter if you don't want to. But that's already been stated by several others, and the concept is apparently going over your head.

Personally I think its good to elevate those rules so other people get a better understanding before entering the contest.

Basically same thing as warnings others by posting a bad experience with a bait and switch supplier.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,782 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 17, 2016 12:17 |  #48

Hogloff wrote in post #17901991 (external link)
Helen...did you not post some private conversations as well? It's OK for you but not others?

where?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Feb 17, 2016 12:20 |  #49

The article on the Photo Attorney website has changed its language.

From the initial "sarcasm intended" comment, the language has been changed to:

Such a broad license is extreme for just submitting your photo to any AdoramaPix 2016 contest. But, hey. You decide whether it's worth the possibility of winning a photo book or some other big prize.

(Note: I received permission from Carolyn Wright to use her comments in email. I asked. I do not know about others.)

Website (external link) |

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2016 12:24 |  #50

Hogloff wrote in post #17901991 (external link)

I posted what I wrote to the OP, following an allegation from him that:

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17900993 (external link)
that Helen Oster was trying to financially harm me.

I did not post what someone else had written.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 17, 2016 12:46 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #17901996 (external link)
Personally I think its good to elevate those rules so other people get a better understanding before entering the contest.

Basically same thing as warnings others by posting a bad experience with a bait and switch supplier.

Fine, if it's recognized that the rules OP was railing against aren't exclusive to Adorama. As I noted above, by posting on POTN you accept essentially the same rules regarding redistribution of content. By presenting, under an inflammatory title, this as language exclusive to Adorama competitions (even though it was totally irrelevant to the contest he chose as an example), he significantly misrepresented the situation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,767 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pekka.

Feb 17, 2016 14:32 |  #52

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17895828 (external link)
- Once in that post, there is this rule:

"By entering photography contests, photographer hereby grants Adoramapix (sponsor) (1) a nonexclusive, unconditional, unrestricted, worldwide, irrevocable ,royalty-free license to reproduce, reformat, adapt, creative derivative works, distribute, transmit, display, make available and perform the photographs photographer submits to Adoramapix (sponsor) in and/or through any and all medium or media, now known or hereinafter developed or discovered, and "

In other words, they can do anything with your picture they want to at any time. And to add insult to injury, they even cover future uses in media that does not exist now!

It is my personal opinion that all contests that are rights grabs are disgusting.

Generally speaking, why such rules must be there (on websites, contests)? This is why:

The rules are there to ensure that the images users submit are usable on websites, intranet, social media, tv ads, movies (even as a glimpse), presentations. news etc. and that the images can be saved in different formats, cropped, tilted, resized and (very importantly) stored on servers and clouds and backed up on hardware media.

Without those requirements allowed by the rules, you would enter a contest and never see the winning images, never see them in news, Facebook, Twitter or any other site. Basically they would need to destroy the content on their disks and sites right away, as without a permission to use. Other option would be to the get a written (custom) usage agreement from every participant, which would be impossible in practice.

I'm pretty sure the rules are not there to let them print 10,000 copies as postcards and sell them without any royalty to you. You still own the copyright to the images.

BTW: have you read all 11 pages of Apple's agreement when you update your Mac? Do you understand every word of it? I did not think so, that it simply the name of the game.

http://images.apple.co​m/legal/sla/docs/OSX10​11.pdf (external link)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2016 17:42 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

Here is the verbiage for the Alaska Air photo contest. Straight forward and easy to understand without having to wade through a bunch of other stuff.

If there is a will....there is a way to make this fine print simple...but there needs to be that will.

Photographers retain all rights to their photographs
· Alaska Beyond/Horizon Edition magazines reserve one-time rights to publication of
winning photos, as well as rights to reprint and use photos in the magazines and on the websites
of Paradigm Communications Group and/or Alaska Air Group for editorial and promotional
purposes · Entrants agree that Paradigm Communications Group has the right to publish
photo entries without compensation

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 17, 2016 17:49 |  #54

Hogloff wrote in post #17902476 (external link)
Here is the verbiage for the Alaska Air photo contest. Straight forward and easy to understand without having to wade through a bunch of other stuff.

If there is a will....there is a way to make this fine print simple...but there needs to be that will.

Photographers retain all rights to their photographs
· Alaska Beyond/Horizon Edition magazines reserve one-time rights to publication of
winning photos, as well as rights to reprint and use photos in the magazines and on the websites
of Paradigm Communications Group and/or Alaska Air Group for editorial and promotional
purposes · Entrants agree that Paradigm Communications Group has the right to publish
photo entries without compensation

But this isn't exactly comparable is it? The language in the Adorama contest has to comport with usage on facebook as I understand it.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by HelenOster.

Feb 17, 2016 22:47 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #55

That is not an online competition. Contestants need to MAIL printed copies of the images in. Completely different from the Internet, as per Pekka's post above

http://www.alaskaairli​nesmagazine.com …2/10/PhotoConte​st2015.gif (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 18, 2016 07:54 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #17902790 (external link)
That is not an online competition. Contestants need to MAIL printed copies of the images in. Completely different from the Internet, as per Pekka's post above

http://www.alaskaairli​nesmagazine.com …2/10/PhotoConte​st2015.gif (external link)

HelenOster wrote in post #17902790 (external link)

Yes, but the photos they publish, the 10 top photos...are sent in digitally.

I just think rather than have legalize wording in the fine print, if there was truly a will by organizations, they could make their wording specific and clear rather than using a boiler plate requiring a law degree to understand. Like I said...it requires a will.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2016 08:13 |  #57

Hogloff wrote in post #17903072 (external link)

I just think rather than have legalize wording in the fine print, if there was truly a will by organizations, they could make their wording specific and clear rather than using a boiler plate requiring a law degree to understand. Like I said...it requires a will.

In today's litigious society, everything has to be in legalese.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 18, 2016 10:31 |  #58

Hogloff wrote in post #17903072 (external link)

And you don't know what they require the winners to agree to in order to get their images posted. Note also that they say "one-time publication," but also (unqualified) "rights to reprint and use photos in the magazines and on the websites of" Paradigm and Alaska Airlines. Sounds like a pretty wide-open release there, too, and not any different from what you're objecting to.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

11,542 views & 51 likes for this thread
Are Adoramapix contest rules fair?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.