Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Making the most out of a Canon Rebel Xti

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 15, 2016 10:43 as a reply to  @ post 17899078 |  #16

Thank you for your advice!

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,242 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 15, 2016 12:01 |  #17

Here is one of the XTI threads. Worth looking through and getting ideas or check out lenses used.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=4964​04&page=80

Or here is the XTI gallery. The nice thing about the gallery is the picture information is posted beneath.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/gallery.​php?camera=125

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 15, 2016 12:22 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #18

Oh sweet! Yeah, this helps a lot. Thank you!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,229 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 15, 2016 12:33 |  #19

if you don't want to spend more on a lens than the cost of your body you'll be pretty limited...i can't imagine an xti selling for more than $100...for less than a $100 you can look at an old 18-55mm, maybe not even the IS or STM versions...or maybe an old 50mm f1.8 II...but yeah, you're not going to get much

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2016 08:41 |  #20

The kit I frequently recommend for any Rebel or xxD (50D, 60D, 70D, etc) is as follows:

10-18 STM

18-55 STM or 18-135 STM

55-250 STM

50 f/1.8 STM

Eventually you will want all four of these.

The reviews of the 55-250 STM are far more favorable than your 75-300 but that doesn't mean you should run out and replace it.

All of these lenses - except the 50 f/1.8 - are readily available used in mint condition or close thereto for a good bit less than they cost new. Look around.

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 17, 2016 22:55 |  #21

The XTi is a nice little learners camera and can still do a nice job with the right glass. I still have mine as a backup body

I took this with my XTi and an older kit lens several years ago and its still one of my favorite fireworks shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2016 06:55 |  #22

Eastport wrote in post #17901770 (external link)
The kit I frequently recommend for any Rebel or xxD (50D, 60D, 70D, etc) is as follows:

10-18 STM

18-55 STM or 18-135 STM

55-250 STM

50 f/1.8 STM

Eventually you will want all four of these.

The reviews of the 55-250 STM are far more favorable than your 75-300 but that doesn't mean you should run out and replace it.

All of these lenses - except the 50 f/1.8 - are readily available used in mint condition or close thereto for a good bit less than they cost new. Look around.

Sorry but that is not really true. Of all of those lenses in your list I would want only one of them, the 10-18 STM, and I would only pick that one because it is the cheapest lens in a focal length range that I would not use very often. If it were a focal length range that I would use a lot, then I would be looking for the best quality lens, or at least a mid range lens, not the cheapy.

Also why do so many folks recommend a short telephoto lens as the first fast prime that people should buy? it makes no sense. Would you recommend an 85mm lens as a first fast prime on a 35mm format camera? Or would you be recommending the just slightly longer than normal (43mm) 50mm lens? Something fast in the 28 to 35mm range would be a much better bet for a first fast prime for a user of an APS-C format (27mm normal FL) camera. Just because a lens is cheap, thank to it being the most commonly sold focal length for a different format, should not make it a perfect buy for a camera of a different format, that shares a common lens mount.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Eastport. (4 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2016 08:09 |  #23

BigAl007 wrote in post #17903024 (external link)
Sorry but that is not really true.

Which part? It was an opinion not a fact. Hopefully, yours as well.

As a former Xti owner and current Sl1 owner, I do favor this four lens type of kit. And I suspect I am not alone in that feeling based on hundreds of posts in this direction.

I can see either version of the 35 - with and without IS. I have the f/2 IS but that gets used almost exclusively on the full frame and the 50 on the crop.

For someone with a $100 DSLR like the Xti, I don't see the point in running out to buy more expensive primes (two to three times as much) but to each his own.

Indeed, if I had to leave one lens off the list, it would be the prime.

BTW, since you are dismissing the rather well regarded 18-55 STM and 18-135 STM, I am curious as to whether you have owned them or at least tried them extensively.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2016 09:41 |  #24

As well as being a great camera out of the box, a non-Canon firmware upgrade (similar to Magic Lantern) has been developed for the Xti (400D).

Check it out here.
https://github.com/400​plus/400plus/releases (external link)

It gives you neat features like Spot Focus, Auto-ISO, Intervalometer and many others.
It has Custom Modes - so you can save settings like the C1,C2 etc on later models.

Check out those new features here
https://github.com …s/400plus/wiki/​User-guide (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by advaitin.

Feb 18, 2016 10:04 |  #25

Xti is a fine little camera. I carried one for a four month, live-out-of-suitcase, trip around Europe. carried the 10-22 Canon superwide, the 17-85mm IS zoom and a 70-300 IS zoom.
Results were fantastic, even using 1600 ISO handheld in the depths of a French cave.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsj​wFB2Qd (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,242 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Chet.

Feb 18, 2016 10:39 |  #26

You can shoot iso 1600. Lit only by the laptop straight out of the camera.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cw9Lgxz/1/L/i-cw9Lgxz-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/i-cw9Lgxz-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
My Gear List

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 18, 2016 11:10 |  #27

Chet wrote in post #17903261 (external link)
You can shoot iso 1600. Lit only by the laptop straight out of the camera.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/i-cw9Lgxz-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

That is a wonderful shot. I loved my Xti - first DSLR I owned.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,387 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2016 13:04 |  #28

BigAl007 wrote in post #17903024 (external link)

Also why do so many folks recommend a short telephoto lens as the first fast prime that people should buy? .

CMR wrote in post #17898637 (external link)
I am looking to do some portraits ...

Thanks!

Because 50mm f.1.8 STM on an XTI makes a brilliant affordable portrait length prime for a fraction of the cost of getting an 85mm on full frame.

Because the OP asked for a good portrait prime.

Because it's an excellent optics for about $100.00 new. It's always been the go to for that reason. Sensor size does not change those facts.

Yes, I recommend the 85mm f/1.8 all the time to people, even when it costs 4 times the 50mm. Who ever said one should go for "normal" first?

The other good super affordable primes are sadly not as fast, but certainly ones I would not be without,
24mm f/2.8 pancake, and 40mm f/2.8 pancake. I use both of these more often than the 50mm, as you suggest, and now they are available they are great options.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,371 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 23, 2016 07:09 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #29

These new STM "cheapie" lenses can sometimes beat out some of the more pricey units. There is no other bang for the buck than these newest STM lenses like the 18-55 and 55-250. They are inexpensive, deliver excellent IQ, and once you have funds to upgrade to something more robust, faster, or longer, then you can sell these for very little loss. The 18-55 is a good walk around lens, and actually makes for a great pseudo macro lens and also a group portrait lens. The 55-250 is very light and versatile, and focusing is not too far off to the USM L lenses. The 50 1.8 is one of the first primes always suggested due to its performance on a crop body being around 80mm on a FF, and makes for a very good portrait lens.

We have fortunately gotten out of the era of "cheap and ineffective Canon kit lenses", they have finally produced a great set of EFS starter lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,242 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2017 21:27 |  #30

I hate breaking a great kill, but alas, I will.

I was playing with photo's from Disney and figured I would see what would happen if I pushed the file to see recovery. I must say for a 9 year old XTi, I'm somewhat impressed. I remember taking the camera (xti) in 2007 and it was a pain to lug around, so no way was I going to take the 1dmkiii and the 24-70. With a 18 month old kid, just wasn't happening. I took the xti and kit lens, and got what I got, which still beats most cell phones. I've printed 20 x 30" prints that look fantastic, so it will represent when needed.

Ok, crappy picture of the crowd and the Castle in the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. Pushed it in LR, and got halfway decent results. I will probably throw this away as it really has nothing in it that holds special meaning, but I'm happy to know I can recover a picture that may mean something to me.

Before (hope it's obvious)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pnqFmLz/0/O/i-pnqFmLz.jpg

After (Sure the chick in the black has a bit of noise, but she also has a tattoo, who knew? )
IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-jmJtdcs/0/O/i-jmJtdcs.jpg

My Gear List

sponsored links

7,000 views & 12 likes for this thread
Making the most out of a Canon Rebel Xti
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.