Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 17 Feb 2016 (Wednesday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sending in Lens to Canon

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2016 16:17 |  #1

I sent my 24-105 in as it was searching for focus. That is a strange way to do business. You tell them what is wrong, and they magically give you a price on what it will cost to fix it. You send in a credit card number, and once approved, they allow you to ship them your lens.

I guess they fixed it. I just got a notice that it was $300 Cdn, which was what the computer quoted. There is no explanation of what was wrong. I assume if it was more than the quote, they would have asked for more??? I was hoping it was going to be less...lol

It would be nice to know what was wrong with it, if it was actually worth fixing before they fixed it, or if the lens is on its last legs and shouldn't have been fixed etc.

sponsored links
TustinMike
Goldmember
3,406 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by TustinMike. (4 edits in all)

Feb 17, 2016 16:36 |  #2

Did you ask them to call or e-mail you before beginning the work ? You could always follow up with someone, I'd imagine. I've never had to ship my stuff to them because I'm fortunate to have a service center nearby, which is nice because I can communicate face-to-face with them. But even then, I've always received a written explanation of the work that was done with the return paperwork.

All New Year, All New Sig !

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2016 16:39 as a reply to  @ TustinMike's post |  #3

No I didn't. Is that not something they would do automatically? I thought I would be receiving an email saying, such and such is wrong, and the cost is x amount. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they fixed it, and I'm not unhappy with the price. I just find the process was strange...

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Gallery: 357 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 17, 2016 20:29 |  #4

Out of warranty repairs have a minimum price to start. The focus motor on my 24-70 had to be replaced and it was close to $300 once they added shipping.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2016 20:38 |  #5

A couple years ago the minimum repair charge was between $200-$250. You just arent going to beat that much. They usually do t do the repair until they get your payment info so uou can opt out.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 18, 2016 12:58 |  #6

Brad999 wrote in post #17902351 (external link)
I sent my 24-105 in as it was searching for focus. That is a strange way to do business. You tell them what is wrong, and they magically give you a price on what it will cost to fix it. You send in a credit card number, and once approved, they allow you to ship them your lens.
I guess they fixed it. I just got a notice that it was $300 Cdn, which was what the computer quoted. There is no explanation of what was wrong. I assume if it was more than the quote, they would have asked for more??? I was hoping it was going to be less...lol
It would be nice to know what was wrong with it, if it was actually worth fixing before they fixed it, or if the lens is on its last legs and shouldn't have been fixed etc.

What Canon normally does is to perform a "standard service" on each lens that is sent in for repair. This service evaluates all of the lens' systems and returns each system back to being within specifications.

I learned this the first time I had to send a lens in for service several years ago. It was the 100-400mm. When I called them they told me that no matter what is wrong with my lens, it will get the same basic service routine, that all systems will be evaluated, that everything within the lens would be restored to factory specifications, and that it would cost the same no matter what was wrong, so long as the problems/parts fell within the basic service parameters. I think it was $330 or something very close to that.

I remember that at the time the basic repair service for the 70-200 f2.8 was the same price as my 100-400. The basic service for some of the much less expensive lenses was cheaper, around $250, if I remember correctly. The basic service for my much more expensive 400 f2.8 was about the same as the 100-400, around $330 or thereabouts. Their explanation for that was that even though the 400 f2.8 is a much more expensive lens, the time it takes to disassemble and evaluate it is about the same as the 100-400, and the parts that normally wear out are about the same price as those in the 100-400.

It all made sense to me, and strikes me as a pretty good way of doing business, especially from the manufacturers' point of view.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Brad999. (2 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2016 13:06 |  #7

When I get my lens back, can I consider that I now have a refurbished lens as if I bought it used from Canon or is it like a used car where I fixed one thing and the next broken part could be just around the next corner?

20 years of photography and first lens I have sent in. I have worn a few out and tossed them out(aka dropped them).

I've had this lens for quite a few years, and I have had lots of use on it for vacations and haven't treated it as well as my other lenses maybe. It has been white water rafting and standing in a pool in Cuba. You cannot beat a canon lens. Watch now, I'll have 5 of them break in the next year...LOL

sponsored links

1,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sending in Lens to Canon
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.