Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 05:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shadows behind subjects with flash

KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 20, 2016 05:49 |  #1

I've been trying off camera flashes on stands with umbrellas. I'm getting unwanted shadows on the wall behind subjects. What can I do to avoid this?

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,906 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 20, 2016 05:55 |  #2

Get the subject away from the wall.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 20, 2016 06:50 |  #3

and raise the flash hire up

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 20, 2016 06:54 |  #4

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17905446 (external link)
Get the subject away from the wall.

Thank you.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 20, 2016 06:54 |  #5

PhilF wrote in post #17905475 (external link)
and raise the flash hire up

Thank you.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,906 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 20, 2016 07:01 |  #6

Placement of the flash should be determined by how you want to light the subject. I'd rather have correct lighting on the subject with a shadow on the background than compromise the subject lighting to get no shadow.

If you have no space to get the subject away from the background you can also try to light the background separately to minimize the shadow.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,863 posts
Gallery: 1282 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2016 11:21 |  #7

KatManDEW wrote in post #17905445 (external link)
I've been trying off camera flashes on stands with umbrellas. I'm getting unwanted shadows on the wall behind subjects. What can I do to avoid this?

Inverse square law, or, surface area (wrap around).

1. Move away from the wall, inverse square law will have light fall off faster as long as your modifier is closer to the subject, and the shadows will decrease.
2. Or, if that's not an option, use a larger modifier. Larger modifiers wrap around the subject and produce less stark shadow.
3. Combine the two. Use a really large modifier, and move away from the wall. No shadows.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 20, 2016 11:29 |  #8

Many photographers who are new to off camera lighting tend to want to use additional lights to blast away the shadows from the key light. That is no solution. Every light you add to the setup adds one more shadow. So as mentioned above raise the lights, manage the distance to the background, and control the quality of light. One tip is that If you are using a key light and a fill light the fill light should be on the camera axis to fill in shadows the camera sees. Too many think that you want lights at a 45 degree angle on each side but all that does is create flat light or additional shadows.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,826 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Feb 20, 2016 12:27 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #17905678 (external link)
Inverse square law, or, surface area (wrap around).

1. Move away from the wall, inverse square law will have light fall off faster as long as your modifier is closer to the subject, and the shadows will decrease.
2. Or, if that's not an option, use a larger modifier. Larger modifiers wrap around the subject and produce less stark shadow.
3. Combine the two. Use a really large modifier, and move away from the wall. No shadows.

^^^
and by putting the light source up higher, whatever shadow is cast falls somewhat downward and 'behind the subject', where it is less visible to the lens.

As pointed out by gonzogolf, lighting the background does nothing to get rid of shadows, although the shadows are lessened in contrast.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
901 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 20, 2016 12:33 |  #10

Following up to the fact that a flash will leave a shadow. Multiple lights will leave multiple shadows. -- Use of a reflector will bounce primary light into shadow areas without producing another shadow like another flash does.

Of course that is not the solution for the shadow on backgrounds. Just FYI in general on reflectors.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 20, 2016 12:35 |  #11

You can also light the background, thats my preffered method and when used right it can double as a ring light.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,826 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2016 12:53 |  #12

Any 'specular' (small) source will always leave a contrasty hard edged shadow on a background, you need to position the source so the shadow cannot be seen by the lens.

Any 'diffuse' (very large apparent size) source will generally not leave a hard edged or contrasty shadow on the background, so diffuse sources are not nearly as critical in placement as positioning more specular sources.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by absplastic. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2016 13:18 |  #13

When you don't have the physical space to put distance between your subject and the backdrop, lighting direction and softness are the next most important things, as people have mentioned already. Using direction, you can try to get the shadows out of the frame, and with soft modifiers the shadows will not have that hard-edged on-camera flash look.

You can also minimize shadows by controlling spill onto the backdrop, through the use of grids, snoots, projectors, barndoors, flags, v-flats and other means of concentrating the light on your subject and keeping it off the backdrop. Even when you can't eliminate the shadows 100%, you can often get them to be low enough contrast to be not distracting, or to remove them in post.

Here is an example of something I shot yesterday in my office. It's my daughter's stuffed tiger who recently recovered from an accidental discoloring and is celebrating his renewed whiteness. You will see that, despite being just 1 foot from the white seemless, there isn't a lot of spill and the only shadows in the image are soft occlusive ones at the base of the 8-ball, which are desirable to have. He is lit from above at a 45-degree down angle, by a strip softbox with grid. The wideness of the strip relative to the subject wraps the light around him, and the combination of angle and grid keeps it from spilling onto the backdrop. The extreme softness of the light is why the tiger casts no shadow on the backdrop. I used the grid because he's white and against white paper, and I wanted him to stand out. There is also a speedlite behind him giving him a subtle rimlight:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here is the setup. I waited until after dark to actually take the shot, so there was no contribution from the windows on the left.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 26, 2016 20:15 |  #14

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 07, 2016 16:08 as a reply to  @ KatManDEW's post |  #15

These are all great suggestions....I have another one that has work very well for me. Instead of shooting directly into a wall or background...have your subject stand at an angle to the wall...so your key light is actually skimming along the wall...voila!...no shadow! I once had to use as a background a very shiny light marble wall (like in an old bank)...I just placed my setup at a 30 degree angle to the wall...and ...no shadows and no shiny glare off the marble...looked like a painted backdrop.

sponsored links

6,066 views & 8 likes for this thread
Shadows behind subjects with flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.