Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Feb 2016 (Tuesday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is anyone using PS Elements 12?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 23, 2016 13:00 |  #1

I have PSE 9 and there are 2 things about it that I just absolutely hate:
1) If you have your images free-floating and you get one of them too close to the top of the image editing area, Elements grabs it, makes it into a tab, and expands it so it fills the whole editing window and covers up any other images that are open. That happens to me over and over again.
2) If you have more than one image open and you want to print the one you're working on, you have to tell Elements which one you want to print. It seems totally logical to me that I'd want to print the one I'm working on, NOT the one I was working on before, but some genius at Adobe obviously didn't see it that way.

Over time, both of these things create the need for many unnecessary mouse clicks. So here's my question:
I'm thinking of going to PSE 12 and I'd like to know if it contains these two annoying characteristics. Can anyone tell me is that's the case?
Thanks

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2016 14:20 |  #2

So you want the program to print the image that HASN'T got the focus when you execute the print command? That would IMO be really perverse, I don't think I know of any program that allowed multiple documents to print to anything other than the one that has focus. If you have say three images open how would it know which of the two that didn't have focus you wanted to print?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by ncjohn.

Feb 23, 2016 15:13 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #3

I want to print the one I'm working on NOW, the one that's on top. That's the one that should have the focus. But that's not how it works.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,899 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2016 10:09 |  #4

BigAl007 wrote in post #17909923 (external link)
So you want the program to print the image that HASN'T got the focus when you execute the print command? That would IMO be really perverse, I don't think I know of any program that allowed multiple documents to print to anything other than the one that has focus. If you have say three images open how would it know which of the two that didn't have focus you wanted to print?

Al, it didn't seem to be what he was saying at all. I think he said the opposite - that he wants whatever image is currently being worked on/viewed to print by default. At least that is how I understood it when I read his post. Is there something I am not seeing?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,899 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2016 10:21 |  #5

ncjohn wrote in post #17909809 (external link)
.........things about it that I just absolutely hate:

...... If you have your images free-floating and you get one of them too close to the top of the image editing area, Elements grabs it, makes it into a tab, and expands it so it fills the whole editing window and covers up any other images that are open. That happens to me over and over again.

That would be maddening. In fact, something like that would be enough to cause me to not use the program anymore.

The exact same problem seems to happen to me, but not in PhotoShop. Where I sometimes work they have a Windows-based computer (not an Apple). The same thin happens there with Internet Explorer windows. When doing things online, I prefer to have a lot of windows open and visible at the same time, with all of the windows overlapping one another on my screen. But, this p.c. at work makes it really difficult because any time I drag a window to the top of the screen it automatically expands it and makes that one window fill up the entire screen, which means that in order to get it back the way I want it I have to then click the thingy at the top corner to make it not full screen, then drag it away from the top edge. BUT I WANT IT AT THE TOP EDGE - that is where I want it to be, and I want it to be there but not full screen. Can't do it. If it is at the very top of the screen it is going to go full screen on you. Absolutely maddening. Makes me want to drag my whole desktop to work just so I can browse the 'net MY WAY!

Anyway it seems like your PhotoShop program is giving you the exact same problem that Internet Explorer gives me. If you figure out how to fix this then please let us know in this post.............I don't think I am going to buy or subscribe to PhotoShop until I know for sure that this will never happen to me.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2016 10:44 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #6

Well, Tom, it makes me want to not use it anymore also; I'm looking like crazy for a replacement. And the print thing is even worse.

I know the problem you're talking about with IE but it's not just IE, any window will expand and fill the screen if you take it to the top edge. It's the Windows version (I'm using 7) and I'm sure they consider that a feature. :)

As far as the problems I wrote about, I don't know if the full PS does that or if it's just Elements.

sponsored links

1,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is anyone using PS Elements 12?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.