Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 01:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone upgrades lenses to preserve the market value ? 35L 85L ...

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2016 01:03 |  #1

In past I sold my 35L as it was +10y old, with this money I bought the 35 Art (newer and better).

I'm a bit worried with the expensive 85L (MKI) I bought for 1100 USD as the value dropped a lot probably with version II.
AF would be a tad faster, less CA and some sort of advantage with the flash (ETTL or something).
The Sigma 85 1.4 isn't maybe a real competitor (not f1.2 and I heard the (onion?) bokeh was less nice and something else), but when the 85 Art will come out it will be a different story :)

135L & 70-200LII keep their value most.
In future I want to sell my 16-35 f4L IS for the future Laowa Zero-D 12mm f/2.8 http://photorumors.com (external link) ...on-free-lens-coming-soon/
I know this unknown brand will keep less it's value, but it's wider, no distortion, faster,....

The Tamron 24-70 2.8VC is a great standardzoom for everyone, this one I will probably sell for a 35 1.4 Art again.

I sell lenses when a new one is better in everything and when I don't lose (much money).
With a 'new one' I mean a new second hand lens, I only buy secondhand to avoid to pay too much extra.

In past I upgraded my second hand 5DII for a 6D MKI (new one from the store as it was not available secondhand yet) without having to pay much extra.
When the 6D II will come out I would probably need to sell an extra lens to have the same value of the new price, but I think I keep my 6D this time.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
bildeb0rg
Goldmember
3,334 posts
Gallery: 456 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 12, 2016 08:50 |  #2

About eight years ago I bought a used non I.S. 300L which has been superseded twice. Today I'm still using an old 1D mk3 which has also been supersede twice. I like to think my pics didn't start to suck overnight when this happened and tbh I have no intention to upgrade atm. Would I like a 1Dx and 300L mk2? Yes of course, but I don't feel the need to "keep up" unless something fails entirely. When my camera started to "cough" in damp conditions, I bought a 6D as a backup. Never needed it yet, fortunately.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2016 09:02 |  #3

Buying lenses as an investment or to maximize market value is silly. Buy the lens you need, use it until it no longer serves your purposes then sell it. The value of lenses is somethung you cant control or predict. The 100-400L held its value well for a long time. Then canon and sigma made new alternatives and it sunk like a stone. The 135L holds its value well, but if sigma makes an art version or canon adds IS older copies will slide. They are tools, not stocks or bonds.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2016 14:39 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I don't think I've ever bought a new piece of equipment on the basis of the value of the old. I bought a 6D for two reasons: the AF on my 5Dc was comparative crap, and the high-ISO noise difference. The value of my 70D is going to tank shortly after the 80D starts selling. So? It will still do everything I need my apsc body to do. I don't need an 80D, even if it is better in every conceivable manner. Spending money just because something 'better' exists is a fool's errand. Something better will always exist.

I still use the original 100-400L. Just like the day I bought it, it is still a 'better' lens than the 300 f/4 IS, and the 70-300L. Since it is paid for, I consider it a better lens than a not paid for 100-400L II. The fact that it dropped in value, overnight, from $1100 to $700 is totally irrelevant, to me. Why? Because I'm not selling it.

I buy gear to accomplish some photographic task. I sell it for whatever it is worth when I no longer have a need for it. It is not an investment; it is a tool.

I invest in Indiana farmland. Right now it is paying me a 13.3% dividend, minus taxes and insurance, of course. My original 30 acres has almost quintupled in value in less than 20 years. I won't realize any gain in value unless I sell it. Just like you don't lock in the losses on your gear - until you sell it. Value and resale pricing are NOT the same thing.

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 12, 2016 19:17 |  #5

I make all my gear purchases based on my needs. (OK occasionally wants.)
Quality glass holds its value well and I always skip a generation with bodies.

Example: I bought a Canon 300 f/2.8L IS new in 2007 for $4,100. and sold it seven years later for $3,900.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 12, 2016 19:29 |  #6

Buy gear that you will use, not by how much you can sell it for later.

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Honey ­ Monster
378 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 13, 2016 10:15 |  #7

CanonYouCan wrote in post #17932530 (external link)
I'm a bit worried with the expensive 85L (MKI) I bought for 1100 USD as the value dropped a lot probably with version II

You are not preserving value if you sell after a big drop in value. If there is another lens that suits your requirements better and the cost to change is acceptable to you, then that may be a reason to trade. Selling because the value has dropped doesn't make financial sense in my opinion.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,917 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 13, 2016 10:35 |  #8

Ignore what your gear is worth on the open market and use it to the best of your ability to make beautiful images. Upgrading based on perceived monetary value will only lighten your wallet.

If you think a new version of something will help you make better images or make it easier to accomplish your goal then go for it. If you like to spend money then go for it. If you like to show off and can afford the newest of the new then go for it.

Personally I buy gear based on a particular need feature wise or out of curiosity and tend to buy used or refurbished in order to save some coin.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

1,690 views & 5 likes for this thread
Anyone upgrades lenses to preserve the market value ? 35L 85L ...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.