Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

feeda
94 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 20, 2016 14:31 |  #16

abbadon31 wrote in post #17941690 (external link)
2. The X-1 Receiver:
The receiver is not a TTL receiver even thou it has a TTL hot shoe mount. The receiver is just to allow you to assign it a group, a channel and a firing signal. This aid if your using a non X-System strobe and flash to be in a group/channel and a firing signal.

I'm sure this is just some confusion with the wording, but reading this I got the impression that "the X1 system doesn't do wireless TTL because the receiver doesn't support it"--which is false, of course. So, for the record, the X1 system is a TTL-compatible system. (Or it's done a great job of pretending to be one...)

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 20, 2016 14:56 |  #17

abbadon31 wrote in post #17941690 (external link)
X-1 and Receiver
Just to clear some things up that people on the net might be posting wrong or misunderstood.

1. The X-1 does not have a pass thru TTL shoe. If you have a new X-System flash on top of the X-1 your TTL information is received from the 2.4 radio from that flash to the X-1 then to your camera. So if your running a Non X-System flash you will only get a firing signal from the hot shoe NO TTL.

2. The X-1 Receiver:
The receiver is not a TTL receiver even thou it has a TTL hot shoe mount. The receiver is just to allow you to assign it a group, a channel and a firing signal. This aid if your using a non X-System strobe and flash to be in a group/channel and a firing signal.

I hope this will clear up any confusion.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 782306 does not exist. ]

So if it ain't TTL then how do flash exposure values, preflash information and mode information get sent to and inputted in to the flash? You can't pass all that information through a single pin. My 600EX-RT is not an "X" system flash and if an "X" 2.4G flash is in the hot shoe and is not set to the same channel as the X1 transmitter then there is no 2.4G radio communication. I am highly confused. -?

Rand

Gear

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by owenegan.

Mar 20, 2016 15:12 as a reply to  @ post 17941690 |  #18

Hello abbadon31.

You wrote:

>>
2. The X-1 Receiver: The receiver is not a TTL receiver even thou it has a TTL hot shoe mount. The receiver is just to allow you to assign it a group, a channel and a firing signal. This aid if your using a non X-System strobe and flash to be in a group/channel and a firing signal.
>>

What is your information source for this statement?

All the marketing material for the X1 system, as well as extensive testing of the units by many posting here, suggests the opposite - the X1R is most definitely a TTL receiver.

Again, why do you say "The receiver is not a TTL receiver even thou it has a TTL hot shoe mount. "?

Thanks.

Owen.

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 20, 2016 15:17 as a reply to  @ post 17941970 |  #19

Hi David.

The X1R does, in fact, support TTL.

I just slapped a YN600EX-RT (Yongnuo clone of Canon 600EX-RT) onto an X1R-C. The flash was set to simple ETTL (no master/slave business).

I pointed it at a patch of upholstery on my couch and shot frames at f4 , f11 and f22. Same exposure. If there's another explanation for how this can happen that isn't the X1R doing TTL, I'm all ears.

Owen.

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 20, 2016 15:42 as a reply to  @ post 17941288 |  #20

Hi Rand,

Thanks for your info.

I just tested with YN600EX-RT in the shoe of an X1T-C and I observed none of the weirdness I described seeing with the Canon flash. TTL worked, FEL worked, FEC worked. But I only played with it for about 2 mins...

I'll mention that I find testing like this useful primarily towards trying to understand how the system works in general terms. I do not actually intend to ever use a flash in the shoe of an X1T on the job.

As soon as Godox releases the V860II firmware enabling triggering in Group mode, I'll buy one and test it. If it works well, and its remote-flash triggering interface is at least as usable as the X1T's, I'll get three more and start using Godox flashes on the job. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be very nice have a bag of speedlights that recycle in 1.5s without external packs and have 2.4Ghz receivers built in. And that can control and trigger my AD360s with XTR-16 in them.

(And if Godox implements your 20-point wish list and makes the Dream Flash I might get one of those, too)

Godox says April for Group mode firmware in TT685 and V860II. I'll be happy if we see all working by Christmas...

Owen.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 20, 2016 17:00 |  #21

owenegan wrote in post #17942067 (external link)
Hi David.

The X1R does, in fact, support TTL.

I just slapped a YN600EX-RT (Yongnuo clone of Canon 600EX-RT) onto an X1R-C. The flash was set to simple ETTL (no master/slave business).

I pointed it at a patch of upholstery on my couch and shot frames at f4 , f11 and f22. Same exposure. If there's another explanation for how this can happen that isn't the X1R doing TTL, I'm all ears.

Owen.

Owen,
That's good news. After reading Shom's post I went to the X system manual on the Cheetah Stand site and read the section about setting up and using the XT-1c receiver. It sounds like it may be manual only.

Your set seems to confirm that it is TTL which seems like the only logical way to design it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 20, 2016 17:17 |  #22

I moved from Canon to Sony A7RIIs so am waiting impatiently for the Sony version.
Having the XR-1 TTL capable means I can see how they work with the Nissin A700s I have now.

The Gr A capabilities on top of the X1 transmitter is an interesting opportunity.
Nissin has introduced a small Speedlite the i60 that is just a bit larger than the i40 but even more powerful than the A700.

If, for some reason, the Nissin Sony capable A700s won't work with the the X1 receivers in TTL, then I'll sell them.
The Lithium Battery powered 860s with Sony TTL are still the best speedlite option in my simple view.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by abbadon31. (2 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2016 18:36 |  #23

Early morning typing and mind set was not correct and was thinking about the XY16 and XTR16

So much stuff to keep track of and with the new setup and I mix things up

I AM SHOM

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 20, 2016 20:02 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #24

Hi David

From the Cheetahstand page selling the X1R-C: (bolding done by me)

=========
Type: For Canon Compatible with: Canon DSLR cameras (E-TTL II autoflash);Support all cameras that have PC sync socket
Build-in Remote System: 2.4 G wireless transmission
Modulation Method: MSK
Power Supply: 2*AA batteries
Exposure Control:
Manual Flash: Support
TTL Auto Flash: E-TTL II
TTL Control:
High Speed Sync (HSS): Yes
Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC):Yes, ±3 stops 1/3 stop increments
Flash Exposure Lock (FEL): Yes

Focus Assist: Manual open
Rear Curtain Sync: No
Modeling Flash: Support, fired with cameras depth of field preview button
============

Also, you can safely ignore the "Rear Curtain Sync: No" business. With latest firmware, setting CFn 04 to "01" on the X1T-C transmitter enables rear curtain sync on speeds below 1/30. There's no visual confirmation on the X1T-C, but it works. I just tested with a 600EX-RT in a X1R-C and it worked fine.

Owen.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 20, 2016 21:23 |  #25

OK,
Thanks.
Good to confirm.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 20, 2016 22:51 |  #26

abbadon31 wrote in post #17942293 (external link)
Early morning typing and mind set was not correct and was thinking about the XY16 and XTR16

So much stuff to keep track of and with the new setup and I mix things up

It's Sunday and we're all in a forgiving mood. :-P

Rand

Gear

nixland
515 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 21, 2016 03:07 |  #27

Is there any feature on X1 to activate just 1 selected group for iterated group light test/metering like Profoto Air Remote?
Currently I use YNE3RT and for that purpose I have to turn off all group first, turning on a group, doing the test, turning off that group and turn on the next group and so on.
Well its not a big problem, but curious to know if X1 has that feature via key combination or such to make the task faster and easier.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 21, 2016 09:28 |  #28

nixland wrote in post #17942768 (external link)
Is there any feature on X1 to activate just 1 selected group for iterated group light test/metering like Profoto Air Remote?
Currently I use YNE3RT and for that purpose I have to turn off all group first, turning on a group, doing the test, turning off that group and turn on the next group and so on.
Well its not a big problem, but curious to know if X1 has that feature via key combination or such to make the task faster and easier.

That is the only way I know of in the <Gr> mode, same as the YN-E3. Godox is going to have to eventually build a more professional, full featured transmitter and Speedlite with a 5 Group display and individual Group selection, if they want to really support their AD360II and AD600 flashes. The $45 X1 is really a truly amazing little transmitter but they have just about gone as far as they can with it. I think once they get some issues resolved with modeling light and audio recycle indication I think they should quit and focus on a $200 transmitter with all the bells and whistles. I have submitted my wish list to Godox numerous times but my fear is that Godox will try to do too much with the X1 to where it will become too complicated or scrapped for a revised version. It is only $45. Have I ever mentioned that it has Global Manual flash power adjustment? Show me another TTL transmitter that has both TTL and Manual Global flash Adjustment. Not even the Profoto Air Remote, you mentioned, has that. It doesn't even have a Global FEC adjustment for TTL. I guess for $400 it had better be able to do something that the X1 can't do. :-)

Rand

Gear

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 21, 2016 15:47 as a reply to  @ nixland's post |  #29

Hi.

This isn't a solution for the X1 system, but possibly for the YN-E3-RT.

In firmware version 1.09 for the YN-E3-RT, thy added something called "Free Mask Group" that sounds like it might help some with what you're wanting to do. Here's the description:

"Added: P.FN: Free Mask Group. This setting is used with GR/*. Free mask will
be on/off when you hold GR/* button for a few seconds. When Free mask is on,
groups not in this setting won't fire. So you can take a photo with background
flashes only quickly."

It wouldn't let you sequentially measure each group, but you could at least quickly isolate, say, your key light from the others for metering...

Owen.

nixland
515 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 21, 2016 19:45 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #30

I dont care and not interested at all in Profoto.
I just need feature like their transmitter on X1 :).

Maybe X1 can add feature where if we press Gr button and hold it for few seconds it will trigger only the selected group. Or its already used for other feature?

sponsored links

489,787 views & 427 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.