Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 8 months ago by elv.

Nov 04, 2017 04:42 |  #1351

And this is how we have mounted the YN-622X-TX etc on a TTL cord when using the tripod up high.

The nice thing about this is that its easier to view and adjust the transmitter settings when the camera is on its side in portrait orientation.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

You could do away with the TTL cord though, and use an X1 or second Xpro, set to fire only / APP mode, mounted on the camera hotshoe.

This way you still have the AF assist light (though no TCM function).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If using a phone APP, I would personally have the phone mounted to the tripod in the same place as second transmitter anyway (and would really prefer to use the transmitter interface instead).

(Having said that, if you see my previous hint about the R2 Pro II, I can't be anymore specific than that).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,421 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 04, 2017 05:27 |  #1352

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18488084 (external link)
You might be surprised by how flattering a portrait can be (for many, but not all subjects) when the lens is lower than their eyeline...

Not for the older crowd, as most don't want their double chins accentuated. Doing single person portraits, i agree, but this situation calls for something different. Also after about an hour of a two hour session, bending down even a bit to compose and zoom, this old body starts to feel it. If i do individuals or couples where I am not in an assembly line mode, I don't use a tripod, so I wouldn't have an issue.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,421 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Nov 04, 2017 05:34 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #1353

Again, I don't think I should have to buy a $70 transmitter only to have to buy a 2nd one just to use it, nor $40+ more in cables and brackets. If you already have this equipment, great. Yes I had the YN and that was impossible, but more vertical displays are better in many situations.

I already have the X1 and I guess that is the best I can hope for, by putting a lanyard on the xpro, and hanging it off the tripod to use it only as a remote setter. I lose the TCM function this way.

Just having a hot shoe adapter to change the angle would be nice, and fairly easy to engineer. Hopefully they consider Bluetooth though. I could even meter off the subject, and readjust the lights without moving, for the ultimate in lazy light layout. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 04, 2017 05:47 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #1354

I feel like I'm talking to myself here...

Last time I'm going to mention it, you may want to wait for the R2 Pro II (the original Flashpoint transmitter).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,421 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. (20 edits in all)

Nov 04, 2017 06:08 |  #1355

elv wrote in post #18488224 (external link)
I feel like I'm talking to myself here...

Last time I'm going to mention it, you may want to wait for the R2 Pro II (the original Flashpoint transmitter).

No, quite the opposite.

Godox has created a new transmitter to replace 2+ others and would like my hard earned money. It is to be a replacement for an older transmitter I am using now. In order for that to happen, it has to satisfy my needs. I have simply stated my concerns when doing a tripod sequence of 2 hour sessions of group portraits, and how the new transmitter would be hard to manage and see, and suggested some simple changes or a new adapter that could help for a future release.

What I have received from you and others are:

a. What? You don't have one and thus you just don't understand. You can see the device if you stand on your tippy toes. That 30deg angle is better than the horizontal display of Canon and YN. I agree with the latter, and think the former is less than ideal I know that when I have my camera at eye level for the viewfinder, I WILL NOT be able to easily see a screen tilted away from me at 60deg and be able to easily use it unless I bring a small stool to stand on, or get on my toes. That was exactly the solution I was looking for in a new replacement, wasn't it! :)

b. Lower the camera... I am doing group portraits, which mean some folks are taller than I am, and some are lower than I am. Many are older, and already are uncomfortable with how they look (mainly the women obviously). Lowering the camera makes it worse. I have been doing these sessions for 6 or more years now, and started with lower, the results are better with a higher camera angle.

c. Buy a 2nd device, or that one device you were going to replace with the new product... You are going to have to keep it. I shouldn't have to buy extra units or keep older units around if I am buying an upgraded transmitter. Having all these extra items, cables, or brackets or a 2nd unit makes the Godox transmitter system more expensive, and more difficult to do setup for these sessions.

d. Wait for a new unit, it will solve all your concerns, or part of them. Well that is probably the best answer so far. The X1 is workable, just a pain, but it does the job. But also so is spending more money for cables, brackets or a second unit, or go back to having to hold one unit in my hand to adjust settings. This is the second best answer, to keep my X1 and use the Xpro in hand to adjust things. One of these two will be the solution for me. Neither ideal, but since this isn't a weekly thing for me, I can either wait and continue using the X1, or keep it (as a backup I guess), and then use the Xpro in hand.

I have suggested some changes that hopefully get into the next gen units, quite frankly things that aren't even a novel idea even. Having bluetooth in a transmitter so I can control with an app is so 5 years ago even. Several things in my house are controllable by bluetooth, some by simple voice commands, through $40+ devices I have purchased, lights, music, temperature, etc. Having bluetooth in a flash controller isn't a novel idea for pete's sake. Even a hot shoe adapter to change the angle for those that want a different angle is an easy product to develop and wouldn't be very expensive at all. A tilting LCD touch screen with orientation sensor would be cool and worth spending more money on as well.

I know for those close to development of new products, it's hard to hear things like this, but suggestions from customers is what brings a product line forward. It is good that you will continue to make suggestions to the group responsible for designs, I wish you luck.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,759 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 04, 2017 09:00 |  #1356

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18488231 (external link)
I know for those close to development of new products, it's hard to hear things like this, but suggestions from customers is what brings a product line forward. It is good that you will continue to make suggestions to the group responsible for designs, I wish you luck.

I don't know of any camera or lens or other device ever released that didn't have people with the same complaint.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,421 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 04, 2017 10:27 |  #1357

Agreed. Let's see what godox will do with the suggestions... For now I will keep my 5 lights in 3 groups and use the x, and wait to see what the pro ii brings us.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 04, 2017 12:23 |  #1358

elv wrote in post #18488204 (external link)
And this is how we have mounted the YN-622X-TX etc on a TTL cord when using the tripod up high.

The nice thing about this is that its easier to view and adjust the transmitter settings when the camera is on its side in portrait orientation.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by elv in
./showthread.php?p=184​88204&i=i239043353
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

You could do away with the TTL cord though, and use an X1 or second Xpro, set to fire only / APP mode, mounted on the camera hotshoe.

This way you still have the AF assist light (though no TCM function).

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by elv in
./showthread.php?p=184​88204&i=i34128285
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

If using a phone APP, I would personally have the phone mounted to the tripod in the same place as second transmitter anyway (and would really prefer to use the transmitter interface instead).

(Having said that, if you see my previous hint about the R2 Pro II, I can't be anymore specific than that).

The idea of adding a standard TTL off camera cord, (that I still have kicking around ) is a simple and great solution.

Your not talking to yourself, I will dig this out and add it to my kit.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 04, 2017 12:37 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #1359

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18487011

;-)a

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 04, 2017 14:35 |  #1360

Couple questions about the XPro TCM function..

1) One benefit of Godox OCF light in ETTL mode is that it can adjusted lower than the minimum in M mode. Can the TCM translate that correctly?

2) Does TCM work when I am already in mix group mode (main in ETTL, other lights in M mode)?

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by inkista.

Nov 04, 2017 15:52 |  #1361

Lotto wrote in post #18488602 (external link)
Couple questions about the XPro TCM function..

... 2) Does TCM work when I am already in mix group mode (main in ETTL, other lights in M mode)?

Yes. And it looks like all groups that are set to TTL switch to M with TCM. Those that are already in M remain the same.

I'm not 100% sure of this, though, as the TT685C is my only real e-TTL II light. The other TTL flash I have is a TT350-O, but I was told by Flashpoint support that the TT350 does not do cross-brand TTL like the full-sized speedlights, and if used in TTL with the TT685C as master, it only fires at full power. I can set its group to TTL with FEC from the XPro-C, and it fires, but it doesn't sync correctly and the light doesn't show up in the frame. Works fine in M/HSS, though.

BTW, if you set the A1 to TTL it first displays OFF, then sets itself to the last M power setting it had on it. I guess it kinda/sorta makes sense. -?

Not sure if I know how to test for 1) correctly, but at macro distances, iso 1600, f/2.8, 1/250s, and shooting TTL -3.0EV, the lowest I can get the TCM function to go is 1/128.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 04, 2017 18:59 |  #1362

Thanks inkista for clarifying on TCM and group mode.

As for the first question, what I mean was sometimes when set a Godox light very close the the subject, and I want to shoot with the lens wild open. With iso50, flash to 1/128 in M mode, I can only shoot with the aperture of f2.8, but in ETTL mode, i can open the lens down to f1.4 and still get the correct exposure. So I was wondering if we can do the same by using the TCM function. But looks like when switch over the M mode, we are stuck with the minimum 1/128.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

SereneSpeed
792 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 04, 2017 20:22 as a reply to  @ Lotto's post |  #1363

That's an interesting observation. I have never noticed a lower possible power output in TTL...

There is always the option of ND gels on the bulb too, if need be.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com/blog/ (external link) - Latest Blog Post!
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)new brand
https://www.instagram.​com/photography.on.the​.bay (external link)new 'side project'
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 05, 2017 19:50 |  #1364

inkista wrote in post #18486696 (external link)
I'm actually a little more concerned that there's no single-pin mode. I was hoping to be able to use this as a manual trigger on my X100T.

I just tried it on my X100T, and sync was unreliable. Power settings did get pushed to the flashes consistently, but it didn't fire my TT685C reliably.

Do you know if it fires any more reliably if you put the transmitter into APP mode?

I'm just wondering if the APP mode is doing anything more to disable the TTL contacts and act like a single pin mode. (I realize you're losing remote control).

inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by inkista.

Nov 05, 2017 20:39 |  #1365

elv wrote in post #18489543 (external link)
Do you know if it fires any more reliably if you put the transmitter into APP mode?

I'm just wondering if the APP mode is doing anything more to disable the TTL contacts and act like a single pin mode. (I realize you're losing remote control).

Just tried it with X100T (set to use an external speedlight on the hotshoe and mechanical shutter), and didn't fire at all. Hilariously, power settings changes on the app are communicated to the flash and TEST on the app fired the TT685C. Just no sync.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

378,376 views & 390 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.