Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

Lame-Duck
Goldmember
2,441 posts
Gallery: 191 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 16, 2018 23:05 |  #2551

duckster wrote in post #18646584 (external link)
How does the 80D handle higher ISO compared to the 7DII? I have an older 7D and have considered upgrading to the 7D II. I am a hobby shooter, mostly sports and mostly outdoor but I do shoot some indoor sports and other family events indoors. I know the 7D II has better FPS. Any other major differences?

duckster...I shot with the 7D for a number of years, and liked the camera a lot, but the noise could be quite troublesome at times. In March of 2015, I purchased the 7DII, and right away noticed a major difference between it and my old 7D. The reduction of noise was definitely noticeable over the 7D. I have been shooting with the 7DII most of the time that I photograph birds in flight. I really feel that the 7DII is an outstanding camera for wildlife all kinds of bird shooting, sports, macro, and most other types of photography.

I just recently picked up an 80D, not because I wanted one, but because I got it from a guy who was almost ready to give it away. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. I was going to turn around and sell it, but after shooting with the 80D, I came to like it immediately. For me it does everything I want to do quite well. It has a great dynamic range, and I'm able to get shots that would not have been usable in other APS-C (crop sensor) cameras. I would really recommend it to anyone wanting to do wildlife, bird, macro, landscape, and even sports at a non professional level. It is seriously a very nice camera. I will say, that if you are planning on shooting BIF, it's pretty decent, but not as good as a 7DII. The 7DII has a faster focusing system.

If you are choosing between the 7DII and the 80D, and money is not a factor in your choice, then I'd recommend the 7DII. If money is an issue, and you decide to go with the 80D, I honestly feel that you'll be very happy with it. I sure do like mine.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are others out there that will disagree with me.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links
duckster
152 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2017

Jun 16, 2018 23:30 as a reply to  @ Lame-Duck's post |  #2552

Thanks for the first hand information. That is helpful. Most of the sports that I shoot is track & field, so pretty fast moving and there are always a few indoor meets or very overcast days early in the season so low light/higher ISO can be important. I like doing wildlife and BIF but still sort of a novice in those areas. A few landscape/sunset/sunri​se photos thrown in there. I still have a T3i that I will use from time to time but seem to consistently get better photos with the 7D.

markesc
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 16, 2018 23:37 |  #2553

Lame-Duck wrote in post #18646603 (external link)
duckster...I shot with the 7D for a number of years, and liked the camera a lot, but the noise could be quite troublesome at times. In March of 2015, I purchased the 7DII, and right away noticed a major difference between it and my old 7D. The reduction of noise was definitely noticeable over the 7D. I have been shooting with the 7DII most of the time that I photograph birds in flight. I really feel that the 7DII is an outstanding camera for wildlife all kinds of bird shooting, sports, macro, and most other types of photography.

I just recently picked up an 80D, not because I wanted one, but because I got it from a guy who was almost ready to give it away. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. I was going to turn around and sell it, but after shooting with the 80D, I came to like it immediately. For me it does everything I want to do quite well. It has a great dynamic range, and I'm able to get shots that would not have been usable in other APS-C (crop sensor) cameras. I would really recommend it to anyone wanting to do wildlife, bird, macro, landscape, and even sports at a non professional level. It is seriously a very nice camera. I will say, that if you are planning on shooting BIF, it's pretty decent, but not as good as a 7DII. The 7DII has a faster focusing system.

If you are choosing between the 7DII and the 80D, and money is not a factor in your choice, then I'd recommend the 7DII. If money is an issue, and you decide to go with the 80D, I honestly feel that you'll be very happy with it. I sure do like mine.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are others out there that will disagree with me.

I was so happy with the 70d performance, I got the 80d after the 70d shutter broke. Like he said above, if the majority of your work is sports related, I'd go for the 7dII as you're really going to need the higher fps and af abilities.
I chose the 80d and tend to pick my battles more carefully as I don't enjoy sitting and going through 700+ photos every time I get home!!

80d is amazing, and the higher pixel density will reveal both the good and bad aspects of ones technique!!! It's honestly the first crop camera I'm actually happy with so much so that I'm not overly envious anymore about the need for a full frame 5dIV (owned and sold!).

duckster
152 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2017

Jun 16, 2018 23:41 as a reply to  @ markesc's post |  #2554

I do have a buddy that recently bought a 80D to replace a stolen camera. I might have to see if I can borrow it for a weekend and do some shooting with it.

markesc
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 16, 2018 23:43 |  #2555

duckster wrote in post #18646619 (external link)
I do have a buddy that recently bought a 80D to replace a stolen camera. I might have to see if I can borrow it for a weekend and do some shooting with it.

Good move, especially if you just need something to hold you over, I suspect a 7dIII will be out come Thanksgiving time.

Michael456
347 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 17, 2018 02:53 |  #2556

lijoec wrote in post #18646203 (external link)
Macro master!!!

markesc wrote in post #18646366 (external link)
Nice work!!!!!

Thanks guys!
I wish I could shoot more bees, but I'm seeing only very few these days :cry:

Terrycanon
372 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 17, 2018 03:53 |  #2557

markesc wrote in post #18646615 (external link)
80d is amazing, and the higher pixel density will reveal both the good and bad aspects of ones technique!!! It's honestly the first crop camera I'm actually happy with so much so that I'm not overly envious anymore about the need for a full frame 5dIV (owned and sold!).

Very interested in what you say about 80D and 5D MkIV. I’ve been toying with the idea of splashing out on a 5DIV to supplement my 80D. It’s a lot of money but do I really NEED a 5D? No, but I’d love one! But you’ve got rid of yours?

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

Cormac
947 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 17, 2018 07:07 |  #2558

Terrycanon wrote in post #18646683 (external link)
Very interested in what you say about 80D and 5D MkIV. I’ve been toying with the idea of splashing out on a 5DIV to supplement my 80D. It’s a lot of money but do I really NEED a 5D? No, but I’d love one! But you’ve got rid of yours?

I'm in the same boat. I'd like a ff also. Love my 80D. But a ff would be nice to get the most out of my L glass. Not going to splurge on a 5D4 however. From what I've read seems the 6D2 is essentially an 80D with a ff sensor cramed in. Also the original 6D is a very capable low light camera that can now be had for a song. I might go that route.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

lijoec
648 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 17, 2018 08:59 |  #2559

My take on the 80D over the , 5DIV, 7DII or the 6DII.

First off, I love the 80D ! It's very very versatile, and That flip-touch back screen is friggin awesome! My point of reference is I bought the 80D getting back into phototgraphy from a break and change from what I shot! Came from the 50D and boy oh boy big big improvement. I went from Family snap shots and kids sports to landscapes and wildlife and have been doing them for around a year now. As i was learning the new type of photography I got to wondering about if i had the right camera, ( I'm pretty sure we all do this ay one time or another!) So I delv into watching comparison videos and reading thread on top of thread here and a few other sites.

80D over 6DII, I already own the 80D and enjoy the extra reach for wildlife. so the slightly better ISO and DR doesn't pay for me. If you like the more shallow depth of field then for you that might be a better option.

80D over 7DII, comes down to Mr flip screen and DR. Other wise I might have went over for the better ISO and FPS.

80D over 5DIV, this was a tough one, the superior ISO and DR almost got me to jump even with that high price tag. But damn that Flip screen for me is irreplaceable. From what I understand is the 100-400II is a better pairing on the 80D also.

So what can pry that 80D out of my hands? 7DIII ? maybe if they improve the DR to the same level as the 80D and give it the flip screen while getting better ISO results! 5DV? Well, that would be a really hard one not to jump at if it gets the flip screen! FPS isn't a deal breaker for me, I have never been a spray and pray guy. Except for shooting pictures of pitchers ! And The reason the flip screen is a big deal for me, I have lower back issues and need a hip replacement. So the ability to flip that sreen out gives me angles I would not be able to with out pain.

Sorry for being long winded, it's just my full point of view why I love the 80D!!

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

markesc
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by markesc.

Jun 17, 2018 10:49 |  #2560

Terrycanon wrote in post #18646683 (external link)

I got rid of mine because I simply needed more focal length.

I tried shooting with the 100-400 II + 1.4xIII for one year (took just over 72,000) shots, prettymuch mostly birds in flight.

What I learned was that using the 1.4xIII / F8 AF has it's compromises, and those compromises show themselves in certain key situations where you have a bird descending
from being isolated in the sky, the camera will nail these no problem, but then as it descends into a treed area, then it starts to have all kinds of inconsistencies, whereby
it just doesn't recover as fast compared to not using the extender at all.

So now if you remove the extender and conclude that's the issue, you have an amazing camera because it really is. BUT! You're then cropping much more compared to
using the 80d which will give you the 1.6 factor. I found myself cropping so much that my final sizes ended up being less than 2560 pixels wide, which then means good luck if anyone ever wants to buy a print.

So, then my choices were: A) Use the extender but continue to roll the dice on whether the camera will or will not nail the shots I want, which I tried by going out in the field almost every single day for 3-6 hours. B) Ditch the extender and get back the amazing AF but then lose when it comes to resolution. C) Just jump ship and go back to a crop body being that the shots I wanted were going to be in mostly good light anyways, therefor I don't need to edit like it's a landscape shot.

I chose option C in the above, and now I am completely happy with the 80d + 100-400 II.

80d: $1000
100-400: $1800

$2800

5dIV: $3300
100-400: $1800
1.4xIII: $300

$5400

So, I'm now getting more pixels on my subjects as 400*1.6 = 640mm (80d f5.6 combo) vs 400*1.4 = 560mm (5div f8 combo)

AND:

I have the added benefit of more pixels on the sensor or "pixel density" (3.7 vs. 5.36) which is a double edged sword I'm aware of, but if you nail the shot, and know how to
edit properly, then the results are better, again, for ME.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Overall I think this really comes down to subject matter and how much time one is going to spend on each.

The 80d works for the subject matter that I wish to chase after currently, and I've now decided I'm willing to put in the work to deal with the increased noise, but atlleast I'm getting the shots I want, which is the entire point of spending hundreds of hours out chasing photos. The 5dIV is an amazing camera if you also do landscapes/people and you want a mix of can do everything, it just doesn't perform as well at F8 AF in situations where I needed it most. For me, if I could have done it over, I would have gone from the 70d and 100-400 II, and taken the $3300 and put that towards a good used copy of a 500 F4 v1. But, we all have to learn huh!?

markesc
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 17, 2018 10:55 |  #2561

lijoec wrote in post #18646763 (external link)
My take on the 80D over the , 5DIV, 7DII or the 6DII.

First off, I love the 80D ! It's very very versatile, and That flip-touch back screen is friggin awesome! My point of reference is I bought the 80D getting back into phototgraphy from a break and change from what I shot! Came from the 50D and boy oh boy big big improvement. I went from Family snap shots and kids sports to landscapes and wildlife and have been doing them for around a year now. As i was learning the new type of photography I got to wondering about if i had the right camera, ( I'm pretty sure we all do this ay one time or another!) So I delv into watching comparison videos and reading thread on top of thread here and a few other sites.

80D over 6DII, I already own the 80D and enjoy the extra reach for wildlife. so the slightly better ISO and DR doesn't pay for me. If you like the more shallow depth of field then for you that might be a better option.

80D over 7DII, comes down to Mr flip screen and DR. Other wise I might have went over for the better ISO and FPS.

80D over 5DIV, this was a tough one, the superior ISO and DR almost got me to jump even with that high price tag. But damn that Flip screen for me is irreplaceable. From what I understand is the 100-400II is a better pairing on the 80D also.

So what can pry that 80D out of my hands? 7DIII ? maybe if they improve the DR to the same level as the 80D and give it the flip screen while getting better ISO results! 5DV? Well, that would be a really hard one not to jump at if it gets the flip screen! FPS isn't a deal breaker for me, I have never been a spray and pray guy. Except for shooting pictures of pitchers ! And The reason the flip screen is a big deal for me, I have lower back issues and need a hip replacement. So the ability to flip that sreen out gives me angles I would not be able to with out pain.

Sorry for being long winded, it's just my full point of view why I love the 80D!!

Agreed! I think this really comes down to subject being shot than anything else.

Terrycanon
372 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 17, 2018 11:16 |  #2562

Interesting. I agree about the flip screen. I, too, have problems (a troubling knee and wrist) and I love the flip screen, especially for low pix of flowers etc. I'd miss it on the 5D. Surely the 5D MkV will have a flip screen. I've also read a rumour that a 90D is on its way. Decisions, decisions!

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

Michael456
347 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 17, 2018 14:52 |  #2563

The flip screen is indispensable for me as well. I was looking at the 7D Mk II when it came out but not having a flip screen was a deal breaker for me. I shoot a lot of tiny wild flowers and other stuff close to the ground and without the flip screen I would spend half of the time lying flat in the dirt, some shots would be difficult to get even then.

Michael456
347 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 17, 2018 14:57 |  #2564

markesc wrote in post #18646365 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=186​46365&i=i64026561
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=186​46365&i=i128017854
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

These are both awesome!
How do you manage to get sharp shots with 1/25? Do you use a monopod?

Michael456
347 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 18, 2018 11:45 |  #2565

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

766,924 views & 7,990 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.