Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
6,872 posts
Gallery: 316 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 18, 2018 13:21 |  #2566

Michael456 wrote in post #18647351 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=186​47351&i=i176123357
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​47351&i=i167480046

Nice job on those two Michael. I especially like the first one.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 18, 2018 19:01 |  #2567

lijoec wrote in post #18646763 (external link)
My take on the 80D over the , 5DIV, 7DII or the 6DII.

First off, I love the 80D ! It's very very versatile, and That flip-touch back screen is friggin awesome! My point of reference is I bought the 80D getting back into phototgraphy from a break and change from what I shot! Came from the 50D and boy oh boy big big improvement. I went from Family snap shots and kids sports to landscapes and wildlife and have been doing them for around a year now. As i was learning the new type of photography I got to wondering about if i had the right camera, ( I'm pretty sure we all do this ay one time or another!) So I delv into watching comparison videos and reading thread on top of thread here and a few other sites.

80D over 6DII, I already own the 80D and enjoy the extra reach for wildlife. so the slightly better ISO and DR doesn't pay for me. If you like the more shallow depth of field then for you that might be a better option.

80D over 7DII, comes down to Mr flip screen and DR. Other wise I might have went over for the better ISO and FPS.

80D over 5DIV, this was a tough one, the superior ISO and DR almost got me to jump even with that high price tag. But damn that Flip screen for me is irreplaceable. From what I understand is the 100-400II is a better pairing on the 80D also.

So what can pry that 80D out of my hands? 7DIII ? maybe if they improve the DR to the same level as the 80D and give it the flip screen while getting better ISO results! 5DV? Well, that would be a really hard one not to jump at if it gets the flip screen! FPS isn't a deal breaker for me, I have never been a spray and pray guy. Except for shooting pictures of pitchers ! And The reason the flip screen is a big deal for me, I have lower back issues and need a hip replacement. So the ability to flip that sreen out gives me angles I would not be able to with out pain.

Sorry for being long winded, it's just my full point of view why I love the 80D!!

Almost exactly my thoughts, although I added the 5DSr to the short list. The 80D has so much more to offer than my old 7D. Much cleaner images without banding. Much better for wildlife. I never thought the articulating screen would make such a difference shooting landscapes. Now I won't even consider a camera that doesn't have one. Maybe the 5DSr II will have one.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

little ­ johny
375 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 18, 2018 21:26 |  #2568

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1747/41989168965_5444e69c38_b.jpg

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
7,758 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 18, 2018 22:13 |  #2569

little johny wrote in post #18647626 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Great shot

markesc
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Gallery: 294 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 18, 2018 22:23 |  #2570

Michael456 wrote in post #18646911 (external link)
These are both awesome!
How do you manage to get sharp shots with 1/25? Do you use a monopod?

No monopod, but I should probably own one!

The IS on the 100-400 II is that good, but it does take a number of shots and typically I'll fire off only 2-3 shots in a given sequence as going further than that seems to create almost a recoil affect leading to blur.

Also, the AF loves to occasionally just pick completly random other items for no apparent reason even using just the center point, so, I don't just take a few and assume I've got the shot I want.

Luckily Owls tend to stick around if you're really quiet, so I've learned that all the technical stuff doesn't matter if you have loud company / talking / screaming kids / runners / loud foot steps / approaching too quickly... all that good stuff.

Terrycanon
573 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Joined Mar 2016
Post edited 5 months ago by Terrycanon.

Jun 19, 2018 05:57 |  #2571

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

It's all about the light...
See more of my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 606 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by MatthewK.

Jun 19, 2018 06:10 |  #2572

I've waxed poetic numerous times on here about the 80D, so I'll try not to belabor the point, but it's such a great camera. I purchased it when I sold my 5D3 in anticipation of the 5D4, so it was my lone camera for a few months. Why the 80D over the 7D2? Simple: 27 active focus points at f/8 using my 100-400II + 1.4xIII, improved sensor performance, and the affordable pricing thanks to one of those Pixma Pro-100 mail-in-rebate deals. I thought it would be a temporary placeholder camera, but it completely exceeded my expectations. After receiving the 5D4, I decided to keep the 80D, and it's now used right alongside the FF body.

Now, I squarely hit on this exact topic in another thread, but comparing the 5D4 and 80D isn't apples to apples; instead, I've found them to compliment one another rather than compete. My guiding principal is that there's the right tool for the situation, and in some situations it makes 100% sense to use the 80D, and in others the 5D4 is the only solution. I shoot birds, and reach is king, but so is ISO noise control + feather detail retention, and AF performance aptitude. Both bodies turn out sharp, detailed, amazing photos, so you aren't giving anything up by choosing one over the other. Where they differ is in their selected application:

80D: on days when the light is bright and even. Generally, anything ISO ~1600 or below, but 3200 if the light quality is good.

5D4: when light gets challenging or dim, such as in the woods and the shadows are deep, or it's getting past Golden Hour and you start lowering shutter speeds and raising ISO above 1600.

Basically, the 5D4 sensor is a good deal better at noise control and retaining detail when ISO starts creeping up. The files are much more malleable in post, you have more latitude to manipulate shadows/hightlight without too much degradation. Seriously, there's shots at ISO 3200-6400 that are utterly noise free, it's just a joy to work with the photos. Files from the 80D at the higher ISOs, even starting at 800, start to fall apart quicker in post due to the noise. That's not to say that you can't work with the files, just that more care needs to be taken when editing, and when actually taking the photo to recognize situations that will challenge the 80D's envelope of performance.

Here's some examples between the two where the noise is similar, but the 5D4 is almost 2 stops higher ISO:

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from MatthewK's gallery.

On the topic of cropping vs. TCs vs. FF/APSC:

Here's reach (real and perceived) that my setup provides: 500mm, 700mm, 800mm, 1000mm, 1120mm, 1600mm. That's how I view my equipment, a means of reach. As ISO climbs, reach declines because I shed TCs in order to keep ISO low and shutter speeds where they need to be. When I can shoot a lens without the TC, all the better, so I put more time into getting close than I do in buying more and more gear. If noise is well controlled and feather detail is maintained, I'll crop without issue... if your file is rough and ragged, cropping too much will reveal that.

Overall: shoot in good light, use the right tool.

flickr (external link)

Michael456
519 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 19, 2018 11:17 |  #2573

More damsels from last weekend:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
6,872 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 19, 2018 15:27 |  #2574

MatthewK wrote in post #18647746 (external link)
I've waxed poetic numerous times on here about the 80D, so I'll try not to belabor the point, but it's such a great camera. I purchased it when I sold my 5D3 in anticipation of the 5D4, so it was my lone camera for a few months. Why the 80D over the 7D2? Simple: 27 active focus points at f/8 using my 100-400II + 1.4xIII, improved sensor performance, and the affordable pricing thanks to one of those Pixma Pro-100 mail-in-rebate deals. I thought it would be a temporary placeholder camera, but it completely exceeded my expectations. After receiving the 5D4, I decided to keep the 80D, and it's now used right alongside the FF body.

Now, I squarely hit on this exact topic in another thread, but comparing the 5D4 and 80D isn't apples to apples; instead, I've found them to compliment one another rather than compete. My guiding principal is that there's the right tool for the situation, and in some situations it makes 100% sense to use the 80D, and in others the 5D4 is the only solution. I shoot birds, and reach is king, but so is ISO noise control + feather detail retention, and AF performance aptitude. Both bodies turn out sharp, detailed, amazing photos, so you aren't giving anything up by choosing one over the other. Where they differ is in their selected application:

80D: on days when the light is bright and even. Generally, anything ISO ~1600 or below, but 3200 if the light quality is good.

5D4: when light gets challenging or dim, such as in the woods and the shadows are deep, or it's getting past Golden Hour and you start lowering shutter speeds and raising ISO above 1600.

Basically, the 5D4 sensor is a good deal better at noise control and retaining detail when ISO starts creeping up. The files are much more malleable in post, you have more latitude to manipulate shadows/hightlight without too much degradation. Seriously, there's shots at ISO 3200-6400 that are utterly noise free, it's just a joy to work with the photos. Files from the 80D at the higher ISOs, even starting at 800, start to fall apart quicker in post due to the noise. That's not to say that you can't work with the files, just that more care needs to be taken when editing, and when actually taking the photo to recognize situations that will challenge the 80D's envelope of performance.

Here's some examples between the two where the noise is similar, but the 5D4 is almost 2 stops higher ISO:

On the topic of cropping vs. TCs vs. FF/APSC:

Here's reach (real and perceived) that my setup provides: 500mm, 700mm, 800mm, 1000mm, 1120mm, 1600mm. That's how I view my equipment, a means of reach. As ISO climbs, reach declines because I shed TCs in order to keep ISO low and shutter speeds where they need to be. When I can shoot a lens without the TC, all the better, so I put more time into getting close than I do in buying more and more gear. If noise is well controlled and feather detail is maintained, I'll crop without issue... if your file is rough and ragged, cropping too much will reveal that.

Overall: shoot in good light, use the right tool.

Matt...This is a super informative post with excellent information!! Thank you for all your time spent on this one post.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
6,872 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 19, 2018 15:29 |  #2575

Michael456 wrote in post #18647870 (external link)
More damsels from last weekend:

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​47870&i=i242293577

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​47870&i=i15839022

Absolutely beautiful shots, Michael!!

LD, or Mike

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 606 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 20, 2018 05:04 |  #2576

Lame-Duck wrote in post #18648000 (external link)
Matt...This is a super informative post with excellent information!! Thank you for all your time spent on this one post.

Thanks, Mike, it was actually easy and fun to write because of how much I love the craft (birding). I've only been seriously into birding for two years, but it's completely changed how I look at photography in general, and effectively employing the gear you have within its limitations.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Michael456
519 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 20, 2018 14:47 |  #2577

Went to my favorite damselfly spot after work today. The riverbank is teeming with damsels at the moment :-D

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
519 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 20, 2018 14:50 |  #2578

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

katodog
Goldmember
4,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 20, 2018 18:28 |  #2579

Hot off the press...

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/891/41118807180_954e47d5e7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25Dw​CPo  (external link) 06 20 2018 Dragonfly 001 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog
Goldmember
4,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 20, 2018 18:39 |  #2580

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1827/42929567261_f4d802c9e9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28px​fGM  (external link) 06 20 2018 Dragonfly 002 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links

847,502 views & 9,462 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.