Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

Michael456
965 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 23, 2019 01:01 |  #3511

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18898165 (external link)
Michael -- you've indicated that you hand-hold all of your macro shots. What is your technique for the MP-E 65? I haven't had much success with mine unless I use a tripod and a focusing rail.

Regards, Jim

I've never used the MP-E on a tripod and I don't even have a focusing rail. I hold the camera with my right hand and support the lens with my left hand. I try to rest my left hand or elbow on something, e.g. my leg if I kneel or sit in the grass. When shooting insects on flowers or leaves, I often try to hold the flower steady with my left hand while resting the lens on that hand/wrist. When doing that, I try to slowly move or turn the flower to compose the shot. That obviously only works on insects that hold still for a moment (these bees didn't!). Some insects let me grab and move/turn the flower they're sitting on, some won't.
Other than that, I delete lots of OOF shots :lol:

C&C always welcome

sponsored links
lijoec
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 23, 2019 03:57 |  #3512

Michael456 wrote in post #18898371 (external link)
I've never used the MP-E on a tripod and I don't even have a focusing rail. I hold the camera with my right hand and support the lens with my left hand. I try to rest my left hand or elbow on something, e.g. my leg if I kneel or sit in the grass. When shooting insects on flowers or leaves, I often try to hold the flower steady with my left hand while resting the lens on that hand/wrist. When doing that, I try to slowly move or turn the flower to compose the shot. That obviously only works on insects that hold still for a moment (these bees didn't!). Some insects let me grab and move/turn the flower they're sitting on, some won't.

do you have any pictures of your flash set up? at those slow SS lighting has to be a huge factor! You macro work is more then good enough where you can be selling tutorials. Between composition, focus, lighting and your post processing are all are spot on!

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

Dead ­ Pixels
33 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2018

Jul 23, 2019 10:02 as a reply to  @ lijoec's post |  #3513

I totally agree! Awesome work, Michael.

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 23, 2019 10:12 |  #3514

Michael456 wrote in post #18898371 (external link)

Thanks! I really prefer to handhold all of my cameras but the MP-E 65 has been a challenge. I'll try your suggestions. They sound promising!

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Michael456
965 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 23, 2019 12:18 |  #3515

lijoec wrote in post #18898411 (external link)
do you have any pictures of your flash set up? at those slow SS lighting has to be a huge factor! You macro work is more then good enough where you can be selling tutorials. Between composition, focus, lighting and your post processing are all are spot on!

Thanks!
This is my current setup that I use with the MP-E:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

IMO using a flash is essential with the MP-E. You really need it to freeze motion at these magnifications and you have to get so close that you block out most of the natural light. I use the Yonguog YN24EX twin flash (way cheaper than the Canon) and these diffusors:
POST 18566619

Before getting the diffusors I used various quick and dirty self-made ones which also worked well enough.

Most of the times, I use this setup with the "normal" macro lens as well. For e.g. flowers or dragonflies, i.e. when I'm not getting super-close, I often use natural light only, without flash.

Before getting the Yongnuo flash I used this setup:
POST 18419007
POST 18419028

I still use it sometimes with the normal macro lens, but for the MP-E the twin flash makes getting light on the subject easier. The normal speedlite with the mini softbox also has advantages over the twin flash: The two flash heads of the twin flash often create two reflections in an insect's eye, which looks a bit weird. Using the single flash with softbox does not do that.

C&C always welcome

lijoec
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 23, 2019 17:53 |  #3516

Michael456 wrote in post #18898604 (external link)
Thanks!
This is my current setup that I use with the MP-E:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=188​98604&i=i254867276
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=188​98604&i=i54735428

IMO using a flash is essential with the MP-E. You really need it to freeze motion at these magnifications and you have to get so close that you block out most of the natural light. I use the Yonguog YN24EX twin flash (way cheaper than the Canon) and these diffusors:
POST 18566619

Before getting the diffusors I used various quick and dirty self-made ones which also worked well enough.

Most of the times, I use this setup with the "normal" macro lens as well. For e.g. flowers or dragonflies, i.e. when I'm not getting super-close, I often use natural light only, without flash.

Before getting the Yongnuo flash I used this setup:
POST 18419007
POST 18419028

I still use it sometimes with the normal macro lens, but for the MP-E the twin flash makes getting light on the subject easier. The normal speedlite with the mini softbox also has advantages over the twin flash: The two flash heads of the twin flash often create two reflections in an insect's eye, which looks a bit weird. Using the single flash with softbox does not do that.

You would laugh at mine, it's a pringles can on top of a canon 430II:mrgreen:g:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

RodS57
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 23, 2019 21:51 |  #3517

lijoec wrote in post #18898776 (external link)
You would laugh at mine, it's a pringles can on top of a canon 430II:mrgreen:g:mrgreen:

Why would anyone laugh? For years my diffuser was tissue paper wrapped around the flash and held in place with an elastic band. Whatever works.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Michael456
965 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 24, 2019 00:29 |  #3518

Yeah, no reason to laugh at all. Many ways to skin a cat and as Rod said, whatever works!

C&C always welcome

happyduck
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Gallery: 507 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 24, 2019 08:49 |  #3519

DBS 66 167 working the Carlisle N.Y. to Margam T.C. passing through brock

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 70D [ Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro OS HSM C
Prudence never pays
And everything she wants costs money

My Flkr (external link)

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,398 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 24, 2019 18:33 |  #3520

HOSTED PHOTO

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D and a bag full of lenses.

markesc
Goldmember
2,475 posts
Gallery: 946 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 25, 2019 00:16 |  #3521

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

markesc
Goldmember
2,475 posts
Gallery: 946 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 25, 2019 00:17 |  #3522

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
965 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 25, 2019 00:46 |  #3523

greenjeans wrote in post #18899343 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by greenjeans in
./showthread.php?p=188​99343&i=i45067381

That looks very clean and detailed for ISO 6400!!!

C&C always welcome

Michael456
965 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 25, 2019 07:07 |  #3524

markesc wrote in post #18899456 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by markesc in
./showthread.php?p=188​99456&i=i15566455

Love the blurred tree trunk in the foreground as well as the light on the owl with it's shadow on the tree. Gives the photo a 3-dimensional quality.

C&C always welcome

Michael456
965 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 25, 2019 14:09 |  #3525

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18898529 (external link)
Thanks! I really prefer to handhold all of my cameras but the MP-E 65 has been a challenge. I'll try your suggestions. They sound promising!

Forgot to add:
I try to hold my breath when composing a shot, especially when I can't rest my left on anything. At higher magnifications (beyond 1:1) that really helps sometimes to avoid camera shake and get a good composition.

C&C always welcome

sponsored links

1,660,300 views & 14,383 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.