Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Gallery: 1478 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 17, 2021 14:02 |  #4171

Yeah I used the 80d on center point only focus; If you don't have topaz, try the 30 day trial for the denoise. You may be surprised!!!

Terrycanon wrote in post #19249016 (external link)
Interesting, Mark. Using the 80D today, I really did notice how much slower it is buffering and, of course, it doesn't have the definition of the 5D IV, but I will keep the 100-400 on the 80D and give it a run. Better than it sitting unused in its case. I'm into macro with the 5D IV at the moment. Fun but not easy!

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 21, 2021 10:34 |  #4172

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Terrycanon's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

It's all about the light...
See more of my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 21, 2021 18:45 |  #4173

It's highly situation based. We're talking F8 vs F5.6, center point in both cases, all else equal. The situation - Bird perched near horizon (blue sky backround). Bird takes off, in my case, it was a red tale hawk. Hawk diving down, drops below horizon, coming right towards me = MAGIC!!! Click click...... wt... Once it drops below the horizon, camera decides: "...no..we want those trees!! not the bird..trees are better!!" <---- I had this happen multiple times when using the 1.4xIII in with the 5div + 100-400 II.

So, I held onto it for a while and just for fun/excitement, tried just the 80d + 100-400 II, same situation = higher keeper rate. Is it perfect? no. Is it's a 1dx? no. Was it snappier and more fun to use = yes.

Still love the 5dIV, but I really think it's better to ditch the 1.4xIII unless you have stationary or slower moving subjects or just better light.

Terrycanon wrote in post #19249016 (external link)
Interesting, Mark. Using the 80D today, I really did notice how much slower it is buffering and, of course, it doesn't have the definition of the 5D IV, but I will keep the 100-400 on the 80D and give it a run. Better than it sitting unused in its case. I'm into macro with the 5D IV at the moment. Fun but not easy!

Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 22, 2021 06:19 |  #4174

markesc wrote in post #19250675 (external link)
It's highly situation based. We're talking F8 vs F5.6, center point in both cases, all else equal. The situation - Bird perched near horizon (blue sky backround). Bird takes off, in my case, it was a red tale hawk. Hawk diving down, drops below horizon, coming right towards me = MAGIC!!! Click click...... wt... Once it drops below the horizon, camera decides: "...no..we want those trees!! not the bird..trees are better!!" <---- I had this happen multiple times when using the 1.4xIII in with the 5div + 100-400 II.

So, I held onto it for a while and just for fun/excitement, tried just the 80d + 100-400 II, same situation = higher keeper rate. Is it perfect? no. Is it's a 1dx? no. Was it snappier and more fun to use = yes.

Still love the 5dIV, but I really think it's better to ditch the 1.4xIII unless you have stationary or slower moving subjects or just better light.

Yes, I must admit I've given up using the 1.4 extender on 100-400 and the 5DIV. I've found it slows things down too much - and it makes the combination even heavier. Focusing with it can be hit and miss, too, as you say. I find it also needs good light. I love the 5DIV, but do sometimes miss that extra reach. Ah, well, can't have everything. I'm now trying leaving the 100-400 on the 80D and the macro 100 on the 5D. I'll see how I go. I also like the 24-70 f4 on the 5D. Somehow I think the 24-70 and the 80D never quite liked each other! :-) Interesting little discussion we're having here, by the way. Thanks.

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 22, 2021 09:20 |  #4175

Yup!

There's pro's/con's on both sides, really when it comes down to it, I find that crop body wide angle lenses are lacking if you want a proper Fast (>F3.5) wide angle zoom FROM Canon. I went with a Tokina F2 14-20mm (just arrived so jury is out, but so far seems clean).

Anyways, the fun part is just making most of what you have rather than getting caught up in the technical mumbo jumbo. At a certain point it's drop the keyboard, grab the camera(s) and out the door. See what you can get and maximize your opportunities to the best of your abilities with what you have. I've gone through periods where I had NO camera, or a cheaper Canon Rebel and just a macro lens to having a New 5d series and L lenses and just about everything in between. It's fun to see how far one can push a system and interesting that a lot of the times we're talking about that last 5-10% of image quality and in the grand scheme, does that REALLY make a difference if we're just posting online?

I believe now it's just a time thing: most either have TIME and little $, or $ and not so much time. It's nearly impossible to find a balance between those two extremes to just go out and take advantage of good light when we can.

Wildlife really comes down to time, patience and $$$ at a certain point, but you'd be very surprised what the 80d can do on that bare lens if you work your way towards getting closer to subjects/learning behaviors, etc.

Terrycanon wrote in post #19250835 (external link)
Yes, I must admit I've given up using the 1.4 extender on 100-400 and the 5DIV. I've found it slows things down too much - and it makes the combination even heavier. Focusing with it can be hit and miss, too, as you say. I find it also needs good light. I love the 5DIV, but do sometimes miss that extra reach. Ah, well, can't have everything. I'm now trying leaving the 100-400 on the 80D and the macro 100 on the 5D. I'll see how I go. I also like the 24-70 f4 on the 5D. Somehow I think the 24-70 and the 80D never quite liked each other! :-) Interesting little discussion we're having here, by the way. Thanks.

Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 22, 2021 12:12 |  #4176

All taken in my back garden. Nothing exotic, I'm afraid!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 23, 2021 06:44 |  #4177

Cinnabar moths, I think

HOSTED PHOTO

markesc
Goldmember
3,444 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 23, 2021 22:51 |  #4178

Wow!!!

Terrycanon wrote in post #19251274 (external link)
Cinnabar moths, I think

Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 24, 2021 12:32 |  #4179

Terrycanon wrote in post #19251274 (external link)
Cinnabar moths, I think

I'm told they are in fact five-sport Burnet moths. I should have known that! :-):-)

Terrycanon
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 24, 2021 12:41 |  #4180

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 26, 2021 07:33 |  #4181

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D and a bag full of lenses.

bergmen
136 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 2 months ago by bergmen. (2 edits in all)

Jul 26, 2021 09:55 |  #4182

Good shot! I have just started trying to capture these quick little buggers myself. For me, I have some difficulty holding my 70-200 lens since I am recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm going to keep at it since we are inundated with Hummers at this time of year. Not sure what these breeds are (Northern California).

(Oops, I see that I used my 17-55 lens on these, I mixed this up with a shoot on an orange dragonfly in our garden where I did use the 70-200.)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D Body | EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

C ­ Scott ­ IV
I should keep some things to myself!
3,528 posts
Gallery: 607 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 13, 2021 17:47 |  #4183

The Fallen One

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2021 07:29 |  #4184

HOSTED PHOTO

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 15, 2021 20:32 |  #4185

Northern Mockingbird

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,906,892 views & 14,825 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.