Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2016 (Monday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What brand 120mm scanner do I need

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2016 17:23 as a reply to  @ post 17960772 |  #16

yeah, not too sure how happy i would be doing 1000s

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,890 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Apr 04, 2016 17:42 |  #17

http://petapixel.com …al-camera-and-macro-lens/ (external link)
http://www.instructabl​es.com/id/Introduction​-30/ (external link)
http://jamiemphoto.com …-is-the-best-film-scanner (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ution-or-a-Canon-5D-Mk-II (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

NASS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 04, 2016 17:57 |  #18

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked into the Epson v700. It has been discontinued. I will check out the canon scanner and Epson v850. I have a canon for my 120 negatives. My budget is around $1k, for those of you who asked. Thank you all.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2016 03:36 |  #19

NASS Photo wrote in post #17960825 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked into the Epson v700. It has been discontinued. I will check out the canon scanner and Epson v850. I have a canon for my 120 negatives. My budget is around $1k, for those of you who asked. Thank you all.

If you are already scanning 120 negatives, why would you need a different scanner for doing 120 transpancies? I thought most scanners could handle both.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

NASS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2016 13:01 |  #20

TooManyShots wrote in post #17960752 (external link)
Your choices are limited. Epson V500, V600, or V700/V750. Or Canon 9000f. They would produce OK results. If you are aftering quality scans, prepare to budget yourself around $2k. Plustek makes a 120 scanner. DSLR scanning is tricky and too many details to work out in order to produce good scans. I DSLR scan my medium format negatives but the process is pretty tedious and slow. I don't mind since all I need is a good macro lens in order to produce sharp scans....the sharpness would rival all Nikon scanners. The DR and shadow details can be tricky to master. And the color conversion process.......tedious.​.

I checked out the canon 9000f. It will scan 120 negatives, but, will not scan 120 transparencies. Thanks, nick.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

NASS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2016 13:03 |  #21

BigAl007 wrote in post #17961303 (external link)
If you are already scanning 120 negatives, why would you need a different scanner for doing 120 transpancies? I thought most scanners could handle both.

Alan

Alan. The canon 9000f will scan 35 negatives, 35 positives, and 120 negatives, but not 120 transparencies. Go figure.

NickS

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by TooManyShots.

Apr 05, 2016 13:17 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

NASS Photo wrote in post #17961697 (external link)
I checked out the canon 9000f. It will scan 120 negatives, but, will not scan 120 transparencies. Thanks, nick.

It does. The scanning is the same. Is just that you don't need to invert it with slides or transparencies using the scanning software. I owned a Canon 9000f before.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 05, 2016 19:49 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Take a look into ScanCafe. They are reasonably priced and produce good results. To scan 1,000's will take you a very long boring time.

NASS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 07, 2016 09:47 |  #24

TooManyShots wrote in post #17961714 (external link)
It does. The scanning is the same. Is just that you don't need to invert it with slides or transparencies using the scanning software. I owned a Canon 9000f before.

I read the specs on the 9000f. They stated just the 35mm slides & negatives, and the 120 negatives. It did not say it would scan 120 transparencies. I ordered it, and it should be here soon. Cannot wait to use it. thanks, nick.

NickS

NASS ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 07, 2016 09:48 |  #25

Hogloff wrote in post #17962108 (external link)
Take a look into ScanCafe. They are reasonably priced and produce good results. To scan 1,000's will take you a very long boring time.

I will check it out. Cannot wait for long boring hours. Thanks for the info. nick

NickS

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by TooManyShots. (2 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2016 10:00 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

You should buy a copy of VueScan as well. Is a much, much better scanning software than anything out there.

This is my DSLR scanning setup...you get the idea here...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5663/23160864401_0558ba02b5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BhDu​5i  (external link) DSLR scan platform (external link) by vracing (external link), on Flickr

This is how I used my Canon 9000f to scan. The glass there is an anti reflective glass, or anti newton ring glass. It can be purchased locally at your local picture and framing store. $8 for a 8x10. Online? Some vendors are charging you over $40. LOL... The edged side of the glass is facing down. This didn't solve the newton ring issues on the side, the scanner glass side, depending on the types of negatives. Again, I never used the scanning holders on the Canon.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8473967709_79dba0959c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dUPi​nx  (external link) 8O2T0038 (external link) by vracing (external link), on Flickr

Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,527 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 07, 2016 10:19 |  #27

TooManyShots wrote in post #17963637 (external link)
You should buy a copy of VueScan as well. Is a much, much better scanning software than anything out there.

I have tried VueScan and have struggled with it. It has tons of options, and is very impressive, but I found it to be a very difficult program to use. The manuals and tutorials out there are not very good and are little help in my experience.

When doing scans (mostly of color negs), it selects different black points for each scan. That means you have a different gamma (contrast) for each pic, even if they are all a single series in the same roll with the same lighting. I mean, if the framing varies a bit from pic to pic, it might include something darker or lighter, and so it sets a different black point. To me that is just not right. They should all have the same gamma. And getting good colors is tough. Sometimes the colors are brilliant, other times they look wrong and are very hard to fix. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but as I said, I couldn't figure it out. So now I'm using the software that comes with the scanner, and it has all become much easier.

If you know how to tame VueScan for getting good scans, especially of negs, please advise!

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 07, 2016 10:53 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Archibald wrote in post #17963660 (external link)
I have tried VueScan and have struggled with it. It has tons of options, and is very impressive, but I found it to be a very difficult program to use. The manuals and tutorials out there are not very good and are little help in my experience.

When doing scans (mostly of color negs), it selects different black points for each scan. That means you have a different gamma (contrast) for each pic, even if they are all a single series in the same roll with the same lighting. I mean, if the framing varies a bit from pic to pic, it might include something darker or lighter, and so it sets a different black point. To me that is just not right. They should all have the same gamma. And getting good colors is tough. Sometimes the colors are brilliant, other times they look wrong and are very hard to fix. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but as I said, I couldn't figure it out. So now I'm using the software that comes with the scanner, and it has all become much easier.

If you know how to tame VueScan for getting good scans, especially of negs, please advise!

I am trying to locate the youtube clip in how to scan color negatives using VueScan and ColorNeg http://www.colorperfec​t.com/colorneg.html?la​ng=en (external link) It was uploaded and created by one of our resident members here. I couldn't find it. Basically, for color scans, you want to do a flat, raw scan on the color negatives (no profile or inversion used). Then, export to photoshop and to use ColorNeg to invert it. ColorNeg has tons of film profiles for the inversion. It could nail the color about 90% accuracy. The rest, you can tweak in Lightroom or photoshop.

Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,527 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 07, 2016 11:09 |  #29

TooManyShots wrote in post #17963686 (external link)
I am trying to locate the youtube clip in how to scan color negatives using VueScan and ColorNeg http://www.colorperfec​t.com/colorneg.html?la​ng=en (external link) It was uploaded and created by one of our resident members here. I couldn't find it. Basically, for color scans, you want to do a flat, raw scan on the color negatives (no profile or inversion used). Then, export to photoshop and to use ColorNeg to invert it. ColorNeg has tons of film profiles for the inversion. It could nail the color about 90% accuracy. The rest, you can tweak in Lightroom or photoshop.

OK, that is a good hint. But why resort to VueScan if all one does is a flat scan?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by TooManyShots.

Apr 07, 2016 11:41 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Archibald wrote in post #17963695 (external link)
OK, that is a good hint. But why resort to VueScan if all one does is a flat scan?

VueScan is great for black and white. Two, the only scanning software that would allow you to scan a raw copy of your negative.... It gives you the option to scan in various color bits as well. Most scanning software that comes with the scanners are pretty featureless and they are designed for quick scanning.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,485 views & 3 likes for this thread
What brand 120mm scanner do I need
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.