Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 10 Apr 2016 (Sunday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first Baptism. How did I do?

tatony333
31 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by tatony333.

Apr 10, 2016 00:00 |  #1

Hi guys i was approached by some family friends and asked if i would be able to documnet thier daughters baptism. My whole family knows me as the camera freak. I agreed to do it as my gift to thier daughter for her baptism. I've always wanted to photograph events for people but I think i've always been affraid to just go for it.
Anyways they were extremly pleased with my photos. They did an amazing job of sharing these photos and now im getting request from others to document thier events. My wife and other family members say "go for it follow your passion". I just wanted to share a few from this event and I'm looking for honest critique and opinons on if i should persue this or just keep working overtime at my day job to pay for all my photo toys LOL.

Thanks for looking.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,629 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 10, 2016 01:13 |  #2

Top notch shots, excellent work.

Mark

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2013

Apr 10, 2016 01:28 |  #3

Agreed, you really did a nice job documenting the moment(s)

Lupo

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 10, 2016 02:02 |  #4

Wonderful images. I'd like to see some wider shots in asking the tighter shots. Nice window light in some of those shots. Did you use any flash?

Which church is that?

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 10, 2016 07:38 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #5

Thanks for the positive feed back so far.
When I took these photos the widest "fast lens" I had was a 50mm, my 24-105 being f4 was no use to me inside the church. The entire set was taken all natural light, I took a few test shots before using a flash and decided bumping the iso on the 6d was a better choice in that wonderful church. I've done a couple more shots in that church since and it's absolutely beautiful to shot in.
It's called St Clements of Ohrid Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Thanks again every one.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 10, 2016 08:35 |  #6

tatony333 wrote in post #17966840 (external link)
Thanks for the positive feed back so far.
When I took these photos the widest "fast lens" I had was a 50mm, my 24-105 being f4 was no use to me inside the church. The entire set was taken all natural light, I took a few test shots before using a flash and decided bumping the iso on the 6d was a better choice in that wonderful church. I've done a couple more shots in that church since and it's absolutely beautiful to shot in.
It's called St Clements of Ohrid Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Thanks again every one.

I've shot at that church without flash (can't really bounce anywhere) and was fine with a zoom. Granted it was at f/2.8, but it was mounted on the 5D. So I think you would've been fine at f/4 just to get the wider shots.

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 10, 2016 18:05 |  #7

really great stuff. did they let you use the flash?

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 10, 2016 22:31 as a reply to  @ DanFrank's post |  #8

Thanks.
Yes the church does allow flash, But after taking a few shots with a flash I came to the conclusion that natural light just looked so much better that day. Pushing the 6d to iso 3200 is no problem and even 6400 if you really have too. Light room does a great job killing noise in post.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,338 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 11, 2016 00:12 |  #9

In #4, the dude looks like Robert de Niro's brother.:-P

Nice images.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

grism13
188 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 13, 2016 11:52 |  #10

Great job! I love all the colors.

If I had to give some critique, I would say to watch your white balance. The first 3 are pretty good, but #4 has a slightly green tint to it and #5, 6 and 7 are more reddish. Just try to stay consistent across all of them. But I think you're off to a great start :)

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)
http://www.grismphotog​raphy.com (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 13, 2016 12:46 |  #11

grism13 wrote in post #17970520 (external link)

If I had to give some critique, I would say to watch your white balance. The first 3 are pretty good, but #4 has a slightly green tint to it and #5, 6 and 7 are more reddish. Just try to stay consistent across all of them. But I think you're off to a great start :)

There is mixed lighting in that church, some of it caused by stained glass windows.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 13, 2016 12:53 |  #12

Great set of photos.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
5,433 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 13, 2016 13:15 |  #13

Very nice !

I'm mainly here for the snacks

grism13
188 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 13, 2016 13:22 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #14

That may be but the white balance can still be adjusted, at least so the skin tones are consistent across all the images. Unless OP is ok with green skin

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)
http://www.grismphotog​raphy.com (external link)

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2016 22:26 |  #15

grism13 wrote in post #17970520 (external link)

Thanks again everyone for the compliments they sure do build confidence.
Yes the white balance in that particular church is a nightmare. In the back of the church you have tons of white natural light coming in through the doors and the rest of the church is all stained glass. I custom set my white balance in camera for the main part of the church where I knew most of the action would be. Picture 4 is taken right at the back of the church with a lot of white natural light mixing in with the stain glass light, I did try and correct it in post Maby I'll give it another look and see how I can improve it. Thanks again.

sponsored links

8,362 views & 25 likes for this thread
My first Baptism. How did I do?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.