Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint XPLOR 600 TTL VS. Godox AD600

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 25, 2016 19:47 |  #16

jmaher wrote in post #17984691 (external link)
I am debating which way to go the Xplor 600 TTL for it's power and bells and whistles or the 360II for it's size and weight.

I sold my Rovelight in anticipation this morning.

Now to sell a few other things to pay for this :)

Both are great and no matter which one you pick you will be happy with it.

I AM SHOM

sponsored links
SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by SereneSpeed.

Apr 25, 2016 21:37 |  #17

jmaher wrote in post #17984691 (external link)
I am debating which way to go the Xplor 600 TTL for it's power and bells and whistles or the 360II for it's size and weight.

I sold my Rovelight in anticipation this morning.

Now to sell a few other things to pay for this :)

I see the numbers and ratings, but can someone confirm that the AD600/Xplor 600 is less than 1 stop more powerful than the AD360II?

I keep hearing about the size and weight of the AD600 vs. the AD360 and I wonder if the (2/3 of a stop?) extra power is going to make a difference to me.

For me, I really miss a modelling light. That is just as much of a selling point as 'no wires' for the AD600. At this point, my photos still benefit from a modelling light. I miss the little details without being able to see a 'preview'.

I've not once taken my Einstein640 outdoors since buying the AD360.

When I'm using the AD360, I sometimes miss having more power. But, I'm not sure that the AD600 has that much more. I will be happy when someone who uses both will compare the two (and provide exposure info) for shots where the AD360/600 are competing with the sun.

I do not have an AD600, but I can say that the AD360 has changed everything for me. It is so versatile, small, and easy to use.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

Ryan7
48 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 26, 2016 09:18 |  #18

Can anybody confirm if the TTL versions of these units will emit a preflash when using them in manual mode?

I use a lightmeter and will not get a TTL version if it they emit a preflash.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2016 11:43 |  #19

Ryan7 wrote in post #17985613 (external link)
Can anybody confirm if the TTL versions of these units will emit a preflash when using them in manual mode?

I use a lightmeter and will not get a TTL version if it they emit a preflash.

As with any TTL capable speedlite or strobe, the only time there is a pre-flash is when its in TTL mode. When in M mode it just fires when it gets the fire signal, either x sync or FP sync.

The AD600 makes a noticeable pop when firing the pre-flash. That's not there with firing in M mode.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 26, 2016 11:50 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #20

This “pop” is it distracting, or overly obvious? I am about to push the button, but am trying to mentally compare the Xplor with the handheld attachment to something like the Prophoto B2… ill still get the pop using the handheld, but will it be the same amount of “pop”?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2016 12:00 |  #21

digitalduck wrote in post #17985797 (external link)
This “pop” is it distracting, or overly obvious? I am about to push the button, but am trying to mentally compare the Xplor with the handheld attachment to something like the Prophoto B2… ill still get the pop using the handheld, but will it be the same amount of “pop”?

The pop isn't distracting, at least in my opinion. Using the handheld unit should have no impact on that sort of thing.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ryan7
48 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 26, 2016 13:00 |  #22

dmward wrote in post #17985793 (external link)
As with any TTL capable speedlite or strobe, the only time there is a pre-flash is when its in TTL mode.

Actually there are some that do still fire a pre-flash when in M mode. The Phottix Odin with mitros+ system still fires a preflash when you use the mitros+ in Manual mode. That is what I don't like about it and may be the reason I switch.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2016 13:37 |  #23

Ryan7 wrote in post #17985873 (external link)
Actually there are some that do still fire a pre-flash when in M mode. The Phottix Odin with mitros+ system still fires a preflash when you use the mitros+ in Manual mode. That is what I don't like about it and may be the reason I switch.

OK, That makes no sense and I agree it would be problematic using a meter.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 26, 2016 13:41 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #24

So will there be a pre-flash using the Xplor and X1 in M?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2016 14:41 |  #25

digitalduck wrote in post #17985917 (external link)

No. There is not a pre-flash with 600 in M. I don't have an X1Ts. I used a TT685s as a controller/trigger. No pre-flash.

When the light is in M mode, the controller causes power setting to change just as if an XTR-16/16s is doing the power change.

BTW, the way I confirm a pre-flash is by looking through the view finder. Even an optical VF its possible to see the pre-flash light the subject just before the VF goes dark for the shutter to open. Same with electronic view finder on Sony A7RII.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 26, 2016 14:42 |  #26

digitalduck wrote in post #17985917 (external link)

I would certainly hope not. A studio strobe that fires an unnecessary pre-flash would be a huge design flaw and usability issue, because it's common to meter lights in the studio and this would prevent many meters from getting accurate results.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 27, 2016 01:58 |  #27

Ryan7 wrote in post #17985873 (external link)

The Phottix system only seems to do that in certain situations, but not all.

But I do know what you're talking about. I believe part of the reason for it is because even when it appears you're shooting in Manual mode from an Odin or with a Mitros+ as master flash, you're actually still in TTL mode. The signals that tell the remote flashes at which power to fire are still conveyed via a sort of TTL communication. It's actually a sort of hybrid mode rather than TRUE "manual mode".

Or so the theory goes. :-)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 27, 2016 17:01 |  #28

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17986614 (external link)
The Phottix system only seems to do that in certain situations, but not all.

But I do know what you're talking about. I believe part of the reason for it is because even when it appears you're shooting in Manual mode from an Odin or with a Mitros+ as master flash, you're actually still in TTL mode. The signals that tell the remote flashes at which power to fire are still conveyed via a sort of TTL communication. It's actually a sort of hybrid mode rather than TRUE "manual mode".

Or so the theory goes. :-)

If you are talking about using optical communication for the remote lights there may be a communications pre-flash. If that's the case get it out of optical and into the radio mode.
Optical multi-group is a real pain for a lot of reasons. Especially if you have equipment that can do it in radio mode.

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 27, 2016 22:54 |  #29

dmward wrote in post #17987296 (external link)
If you are talking about using optical communication for the remote lights there may be a communications pre-flash. If that's the case get it out of optical and into the radio mode.
Optical multi-group is a real pain for a lot of reasons. Especially if you have equipment that can do it in radio mode.

No, I'm talking about radio control.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2016 09:04 |  #30

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17987653 (external link)
No, I'm talking about radio control.

Ok, it was just a thought.
I owned a Mitros+ for about a week. It didn't impress me and it was expensive. At the time it was the only Sony TTL speedlite available other than Sony.

I did some testing yesterday with the Godox X1Ts controller/trigger. Confirmed the functionality. The AD600, as well as the TT685s and the V860IIs do not produce a pre-flash in manual mode.

sponsored links

23,303 views & 6 likes for this thread
Flashpoint XPLOR 600 TTL VS. Godox AD600
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.