Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 23 Apr 2016 (Saturday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PC does not rcognize Flash card

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2016 23:49 |  #1

After a couple of years of moderate use my PC-(Windows 10) computer suddenly does not recognize one of my SanDisk 32CF cards. I have used it exclusively only with my Canon 7D.

The card had a few pictures on it that, luckily, are not very important. After the computer rejection of the card, I put it back in the camera and it appears normal with the photos intact. I added a couple of test shots and the tried do read it again with the computer via one of the slots. Rejected again.

I transferred the card back to the camera and formatted the card with the camera. (MY standard practice is to format withe the camera. I never erase.) I then took a couple of test shots with the same result back in the computer.

I then tried the computer quick format with no result. To summarize: Good in Camera / Bad in computer.

I tried to format but it it went on and on with finishing.

Questions: what would cause this problem?
Is full formatting a olution?

Note: I live in Brazil and although CF cards are available they are quite costly. I prefer card purchased direct in the US or Europe when I or one of my friends makes an occasional trip. With the logistics and cost involved I do not casually throw things away if they can be saved.

JIM

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 24, 2016 00:14 |  #2

Try this memory card tester (external link). Do a few full passes with the largest pattern set.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,355 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 24, 2016 00:52 |  #3

Have you checked the pins in the card reader?

Mark

BossBob
66 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 24, 2016 01:52 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #4

If it is fine in the camera but not in the computers card reader I'd investigate the card reader. You could also try connecting the camera to the PC and down loading your pictures without the reader. Good luck.

Narwhal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2016 11:25 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #5

no problem with card reader. it reades other cards.

The probelm is with the card itself.

JIM

Narwhal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2016 11:37 |  #6

tim wrote in post #17982788 (external link)
Try this memory card tester (external link). Do a few full passes with the largest pattern set.

I am running this test......will take more than an hour

JIM

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,053 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 24, 2016 12:57 as a reply to  @ Narwhal's post |  #7

Maybe time to go back to that Argus C3 that you show. It was one of the most reliable 35mm cameras ever made and wasn't too expensive at the time.

:-P

Narwhal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2016 13:06 |  #8

Narwhal wrote in post #17983230 (external link)
I am running this test......will take more than an hour

I ran the test and there were no errors. Then I dd a Quick Format with the PC ( Before the test the computer would not perform the Quick Format). Then I transferred the CF card to the 7D and took a test Photo. Then I transferred the card back to the PC.

The PC read the card normally downloaded the picture.

Result: Card repaired and saved.

TKS TIM.

JIM

Narwhal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2016 13:17 |  #9

John from PA wrote in post #17983343 (external link)
Maybe time to go back to that Argus C3 that you show. It was one of the most reliable 35mm cameras ever made and wasn't too expensive at the time.

:-P

I had the Argus C3 from the late '50's. Only stopped using it sometime in the '70's as an occasional extra camera when the external gear teeth locked-up h from too much wear and corrosion.

JIM

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by tim. (2 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2016 14:34 |  #10

Welcome. You should probably run the memory card tester overnight, an hour is very quick. Do a full format in the computer. Good to hear it's looking ok :)

You can use a reshipper to get things to you. Ship It To (external link) is reliable.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,000 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2016 15:04 |  #11

I had this happen a couple of months ago. It turned out the my 8 year old CF card had gone bad. I though it was my moving to Windows10 and the card reader.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

2,098 views & 1 like for this thread
PC does not rcognize Flash card
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.