Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Apr 2016 (Monday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2016 21:29 |  #46

Canonuser123 wrote in post #17989314 (external link)
Real high end computers can use multiple cards that can cost as much for each one as the Mac an PC computers being compared by SLR lounge,
Here is a workstation using a couple of AMD Firepro 16GB cards. http://www.amazon.com …ds=i+-x2+mediaworkstation (external link)

Some of these high end computers have as much as a Terabyte of ram in them, I think to max out the HP Z840 with a Terabyte of ram cost over $36,000 for the memory alone.

Man, where were you when Submariner was looking to burn money for his workstation? :lol:

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 29, 2016 22:40 |  #47

Bleufire wrote in post #17990065 (external link)
Man, where were you when Submariner was looking to burn money for his workstation? :lol:

:lol:bw!:lol:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2016 05:20 |  #48

Moppie wrote in post #17987779 (external link)
Not for 2d work. I've run two systems next to each other as photography work stations, both i7's both with 16GB of ram, one running Intel HD the other running an Nvidia GTX670, both driving multiple large monitors. There was NO difference in performance.

Not really.

InDesign CC for example, due to the limitation of the integrated GPU, it doesn't support drag & drop feature. To place an image on an object, you can't just drag the image file from explorer to InDesign document, you have to use PLACE command (CTRL+D).

With dedicated GPU, you can drag & drop files to the document as normal.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 30, 2016 06:43 |  #49

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #17990274 (external link)
Not really.

InDesign CC for example, due to the limitation of the integrated GPU, it doesn't support drag & drop feature. To place an image on an object, you can't just drag the image file from explorer to InDesign document, you have to use PLACE command (CTRL+D).

With dedicated GPU, you can drag & drop files to the document as normal.

Got a link or some documentation of that happening?

I can't find anything from Adobe about GPU support in InDesign, and we used to build lay ups for print by dragging and dropping images into InDesign on a computer that was running an Integrated Intel GPU.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 01, 2016 09:01 |  #50

Moppie wrote in post #17990321 (external link)
Got a link or some documentation of that happening?

I can't find anything from Adobe about GPU support in InDesign, and we used to build lay ups for print by dragging and dropping images into InDesign on a computer that was running an Integrated Intel GPU.

It's my own experience. I have Surface Pro 2 & custom built PC with Adobe CC installed.

Both can run InDesign CC but SP2 with integrated GPU couldn't drag & drop, whilst my PC with GTX 750 ti could.

Removed my GTX 750 ti & use HD4400 graphic, same experience cannot drag & drop.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2016 21:06 |  #51

Apple really has name brand power to it.

A female friend wanted a laptop and I began looking at nicely specked Windows systems for her. Her friends on the other hand truly are apple sheep. None of them understand computers but recommend anything with the Apple logo. I'm not against apple but I am against that kind of reasoning.

Anyways I told her that I don't know how to use apple and her being extremely computer illiterate I told her that every time she needed problem solving then she would need to take it in and have apple tech help her. So she buys a mac. A few years later there was a business program file that she needed use. I knew how to work it on the pc but didn't know what mac would use. She asks me for help and I'm like really don't know If you have this program or what program mac uses. She complains for a bit and I finally look at her computer. SHES USING WINDOWS. Went to a shop after a few days of owning the laptop and had Windows installed. I just shook my head and thought of the wasted money she spent

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 07, 2016 07:31 |  #52

elitejp wrote in post #17998211 (external link)
Went to a shop after a few days of owning the laptop and had Windows installed. I just shook my head and thought of the wasted money she spent

It isn't uncommon for Mac users to be running Windows as a virtual machine or on a Bootcamp partition: especially those who are former Windows users and who have made investments in Windows software, or those who use Windows in a professional capacity and sometimes need to bring work home.

Developers are certainly paying more attention to OSX, but when I switched there were three programs (and a couple of my Steam games) that I couldn't get substitutes for that I absolutely needed: RowPro (stationary rowing software), my income tax software, and DeepSkyStacker. RowPro now has a version for OSX, but the others still aren't available.

With the Mac OS being Unix based, it is really easy to work with for anyone with a background in Unix or Linux. My familiarity with Linux was one of the reasons I switched.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by nekrosoft13.

May 07, 2016 14:56 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

neacail wrote in post #17998547 (external link)
It isn't uncommon for Mac users to be running Windows as a virtual machine or on a Bootcamp partition: especially those who are former Windows users and who have made investments in Windows software, or those who use Windows in a professional capacity and sometimes need to bring work home.

Developers are certainly paying more attention to OSX, but when I switched there were three programs (and a couple of my Steam games) that I couldn't get substitutes for that I absolutely needed: RowPro (stationary rowing software), my income tax software, and DeepSkyStacker. RowPro now has a version for OSX, but the others still aren't available.

With the Mac OS being Unix based, it is really easy to work with for anyone with a background in Unix or Linux. My familiarity with Linux was one of the reasons I switched.

so the total 1-3% of population

Gear List

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 07, 2016 15:08 |  #54

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17998983 (external link)
so the total 1-3% of population

Wow. That is much lower than what I thought. It used to be that anyone worth his/her salt when it came to computers knew Unix and Linux. But, I guess things change over time.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2016 16:01 |  #55

neacail wrote in post #17998993 (external link)
Wow. That is much lower than what I thought. It used to be that anyone worth his/her salt when it came to computers knew Unix and Linux. But, I guess things change over time.

Linux/Unix are still big in the engineering world especially for embedded controllers, servers, anyone seriously working cloud or big data stuff.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

the1manchaos
101 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 07, 2016 16:40 |  #56

The only hardware where mac seem to have a big advantage is 13" laptops that are portable with long battery lives. My criteria for buying a laptop were 16gb ram, greater than 6 hours of battery life, SSD and it to not kill my back. 16gb of ram is something very unusually for 13" laptops and was the must have because of the software I use regularly (Revit and Inventor from Autodesk as well as other cad/engineering software). The two options I found were Alienware and Mac as Dell still didn't produce a 16gb variant of the xps 13. So I brought a macbook pro 13, dual booted it and primarily work in osx but reboot to Windows for the necessary software. I agree that apple can be incredibly expensive but certain machines of there's are very powerful. Even now the alternative solutions are the same money!

I would be interested to see how the Mac pro performs at the same price point as the custom PC. $3,500 will get you 3.7gHz quad core xeon and Dual firepro D300's, 32gb of ram and 256gb of SSD. I think the imac's biggest problem in all situations is the performance is massively compromised to reach the form factor that it has, particularly from graphics/processor heat perspective.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 09, 2016 12:42 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #17999037 (external link)
Linux/Unix are still big in the engineering world especially for embedded controllers, servers, anyone seriously working cloud or big data stuff.

yes, but on world population those numbers are tiny, and people that know linux/unix would preffer to use linux then apple closed up garden.

Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 09, 2016 15:57 |  #58

gjl711 wrote in post #17987999 (external link)
I think that this has been pretty well known for a long time. Mac's appeal has never been value.

This really depends on what one considers to be "of value".
I am someone who really needs a lot of instant, on-demand customer support. With Apple products, I get Apple Care, which means that any time I have a problem I just call Apple Care and I get to talk to a real live person. This person actually lives here in the US, and speaks English as a first language, and does not have any kind of difficult-to-understand accent.

Whenever I can't figure something out I just call the number and a person walks me thru the issue step-by-step. The last time I did this it was to get help downloading the Photoshop Elements program that I had just bought. I tried to download the program on my own, but kept getting this stupid error message from the Adobe website. Whenever I get any kind of error message, that's it! I really don't know how to respond to an error message because they invariably say something that I do not understand - so that is when I call Apple for help.

The Apple support person spend an hour and 40 minutes on the phone with me, because she wanted to be absolutely sure that the Adobe program fully downloaded and that I understood where to find the Photoshop icon on my screen, so that I could open it. The support person was personable, friendly, and conversational, as well as being helpful and knowledgable. THIS is the primary reason that I choose to buy Apple products; all the speed in the world won't do me any good if I don't have any idea what things to click on to get a program to work.

This extremely high level of customer care and support represents VALUE to me. So I buy Apple because of value. Apple continues to give me the things that I value the most, hence they get my continued business.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

9,709 views & 21 likes for this thread
SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.