Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

cheffievrs
524 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2018 00:36 as a reply to  @ post 18582882 |  #4306

Thanks

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

sponsored links
Ah-keong
546 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Mar 13, 2018 02:46 |  #4307

Arrgh, This thread is poisonous....

I feel like getting the 1DX Mark II!  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,016 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2018 08:57 |  #4308

Sunset in Washington last night

This Camera does everything and does it well

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,662 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 15, 2018 18:14 |  #4309

I need a minor favor. If someone could please put their camera in AV and let me know what the back large dial (quick control dial) controls in AV mode.

I am returning this camera because a couple switches are reversed and Canon Technical service told me, those are not programmable but have to be reconnected the right way. In this case, when I hit the top button for ISO, it goes to Exposure Compensation and the EC button gives me ISO.

So... I'm wondering.... did some other things get crisscrossed? I mentioned it before but on all my other Canon bodies, including the 1D IV, in AV mode, that large back dial was used to change the Exposure Compensation.

I have to say, Adorama customer service was amazing. Took me all of 5 minutes to get the return completed.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,016 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 15, 2018 18:22 |  #4310

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18586497 (external link)
I need a minor favor. If someone could please put their camera in AV and let me know what the back large dial (quick control dial) controls in AV mode.

I am returning this camera because a couple switches are reversed and Canon Technical service told me, those are not programmable but have to be reconnected the right way. In this case, when I hit the top button for ISO, it goes to Exposure Compensation and the EC button gives me ISO.

So... I'm wondering.... did some other things get crisscrossed? I mentioned it before but on all my other Canon bodies, including the 1D IV, in AV mode, that large back dial was used to change the Exposure Compensation.

I have to say, Adorama customer service was amazing. Took me all of 5 minutes to get the return completed.

I believe its aperture however it doesnt really matter. You can assign many functions to it from custom functions. Read your manual

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,662 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Phoenixkh.

Mar 15, 2018 18:25 |  #4311

umphotography wrote in post #18586512 (external link)
I believe its aperture however it doesnt really matter. You can assign many functions to it from custom functions. Read your manual

I have read the manual... cover to cover... well, on my computer actually..... but that doesn't change the fact that things should work the way they are intended... and you can't change that dial to EC anyway. That isn't one of the options. And since those two buttons that cannot be programmed are messed up, I don't feel guilty asking how something is intended to be working.

The main dial changes aperture in AV... not that back large dial.. on the back of the camera body. It's in the manual.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

LJ3Jim
934 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 15, 2018 18:46 |  #4312

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18586497 (external link)

In Av mode, the big wheel changes ISO. If I push the top ISO button, the big wheel still changes ISO. If I push the top +/- button, the big wheel changes exposure compensation.

However, if I go into custom controls and select the big wheel and change its function to the 6th choice (the one just before OFF), then my camera behaves as you described.

Regards, Jim

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,662 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Phoenixkh.

Mar 15, 2018 18:51 |  #4313

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18586532 (external link)
In Av mode, the big wheel changes ISO. If I push the top ISO button, the big wheel still changes ISO. If I push the top +/- button, the big wheel changes exposure compensation.

However, if I go into custom controls and select the big wheel and change its function to the 6th choice (the one just before OFF), then my camera behaves as you described.

Regards, Jim

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it. I did change it up in custom controls. Now.... will it stay in EC after you hit the EC button... or does it default back to ISO? I change ISO a lot when the light changes when in AV, so perhaps that's best anyway. The one I sent back was switched, as I said.. so the ISO button was EC and vice versa.

Jim, I'd be interested to see what settings you select. I'm pretty much using the same ones I use in the ID IV but I am open to suggestions. You could PM me with them, if you're ok with that... it's time consuming so if you don't... that's ok. I won't get the camera back until hmmmm I'm guessing sometime the week of the 26th, if things go as planned.

pigpile34
151 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by pigpile34.

Mar 15, 2018 19:32 |  #4314

Phoenixkh,

Did you happen to flash the most updated firmware? Only thing I can think of other than yes send it in. Although you have already sent it in so maybe moot.

Only reason I say this is I received by 1DX II same day you reported that you did. After fumbling around with it for awhile I updated to latest firmware.

LJ3Jim
934 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 15, 2018 20:05 |  #4315

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18586539 (external link)
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it. I did change it up in custom controls. Now.... will it stay in EC after you hit the EC button... or does it default back to ISO? I change ISO a lot when the light changes when in AV, so perhaps that's best anyway. The one I sent back was switched, as I said.. so the ISO button was EC and vice versa.

Jim, I'd be interested to see what settings you select. I'm pretty much using the same ones I use in the ID IV but I am open to suggestions. You could PM me with them, if you're ok with that... it's time consuming so if you don't... that's ok. I won't get the camera back until hmmmm I'm guessing sometime the week of the 26th, if things go as planned.

The 1DX2 is my first in the 1D family. I didn't change much from the factory settings. My moving objects are big birds (like eagles and swans) and airplanes. I use servo case 2, and it does a good job. I changed the Set button to magnify at 100% so that I can chimp with my right hand. I turn off all the jpg stuff (Auto Lighting Optimizer, Long exposure noise reduction, etc). By default, bracketing is set to shoot the fastest shutter speed first. I found that, in some circumstances, the lowest shutter speed could be subject to vibration. So I changed bracketing to shoot the slowest shutter speed first, and that fixed that issue. Other than those items, the camera is pretty much as Canon shipped it. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,662 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 15, 2018 21:58 |  #4316

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18586613 (external link)
The 1DX2 is my first in the 1D family. I didn't change much from the factory settings. My moving objects are big birds (like eagles and swans) and airplanes. I use servo case 2, and it does a good job. I changed the Set button to magnify at 100% so that I can chimp with my right hand. I turn off all the jpg stuff (Auto Lighting Optimizer, Long exposure noise reduction, etc). By default, bracketing is set to shoot the fastest shutter speed first. I found that, in some circumstances, the lowest shutter speed could be subject to vibration. So I changed bracketing to shoot the slowest shutter speed first, and that fixed that issue. Other than those items, the camera is pretty much as Canon shipped it. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.

Thanks. I turn off all the jpg stuff as well. I mostly shoot the wading birds here in Florida with a few osprey and eagles thrown in. I used Case 5 on my 7D2 , so I'm starting there with the first option to the left one click. I don't seem to use bracketing though I probably should try it. I'll probably try auto ISO at some point but I use AV much like Manual... I set the f stop for what I want and vary the ISO to get the shutter speed where it needs to be.

LJ3Jim
934 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 16, 2018 10:04 |  #4317

I didn't address this:

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18586539 (external link)
Now.... will it stay in EC after you hit the EC button... or does it default back to ISO?

It does go back to ISO. But it also depends on the setting chosen for the big wheel. While I was in there, I set it to the first setting (Av). That allows the big wheel to control aperture in Manual mode (which is what I prefer, but I don't use manual all that much). When I did that, the big wheel now controls Exposure Compensation in Av mode. So there are different interactions between modes depending on the custom setting of the big wheel.

Tc202
Goldmember
1,936 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 17, 2018 13:32 |  #4318

After camping 1.5 months in the Falklands scouting for guiding here are some photos:

Gentoo

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4753/38581961690_bc33ff5d0c_b.jpg
Photo from Tc202's gallery.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4625/39501999844_4fab1e29b9_b.jpg

Rockhopper

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4654/39502000574_853f116dd0_b.jpg

Camera AF Guides:1DX Mark II (external link)5DS/ SR (external link)7D Mark II (external link)
Location Guides: Yellowstone Winter Guide (external link)Fort De Soto Guide (external link)
Instagram (external link)Guiding Services/ Blog: Outback Photo Adventures (external link)- Thomas

ShadowHillsPhoto
504 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Mar 17, 2018 17:26 |  #4319

Tc202 wrote in post #18587945 (external link)
After camping 1.5 months in the Falklands scouting for guiding here are some photos:

Gentoo

Rockhopper

First shot is simply fantastic!

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,624 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 25, 2018 05:40 |  #4320

It certainly is

Gear List

sponsored links

1,189,962 views & 12,836 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.