Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

Mark ­ A.
770 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2018 15:44 |  #4666

I wonder if anyone can please help or advise me why I cannot display the active AF point(s) that was used for focus in an image, when that image is displayed on the camera's screen.
My 1DX can do it but my 1DX Mk II will not, even though I have selected (and enabled) this option as described below:

Page 351
AF Point Display
When [Play ➜]3: AF point disp.] is set to [Enable], the AF point that achieved focus will be displayed in red. If automatic AF point selection is set, multiple AF points may be displayed.

I often like this feature.
I miss it on my 1DX Mk II.
I believe that I had it before, but I honestly cannot remember (I use the two described cameras almost interchangeably).
The focus point used will usually display in Canon’s DPP, but not always.
That would be a problem to solve for another day.

BTW, the reviewed image is not set to Magnify on the camera body, which customarily removes the displayed active focus point(s).

I am a member of CPS and I could always ask them, but I bet that the Forum knows better.
The camera receives Canon Maintenance Service from time to time at CPS, primarily cleanings.
I wonder if this feature got lost in a firmware update.
The 1DX Mk II is running 1.1.6

Thanks for any or all help!

Mark A.

sponsored links
LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 17, 2018 16:10 |  #4667

Mark A. wrote in post #18730941 (external link)
I wonder if anyone can please help or advise me why I cannot display the active AF point(s) that was used for focus in an image, when that image is displayed on the camera's screen.
My 1DX can do it but my 1DX Mk II will not, even though I have selected (and enabled) this option as described below:

Page 351
AF Point Display
When [Play ➜]3: AF point disp.] is set to [Enable], the AF point that achieved focus will be displayed in red. If automatic AF point selection is set, multiple AF points may be displayed.

I often like this feature.
I miss it on my 1DX Mk II.
I believe that I had it before, but I honestly cannot remember (I use the two described cameras almost interchangeably).
The focus point used will usually display in Canon’s DPP, but not always.
That would be a problem to solve for another day.

BTW, the reviewed image is not set to Magnify on the camera body, which customarily removes the displayed active focus point(s).

I am a member of CPS and I could always ask them, but I bet that the Forum knows better.
The camera receives Canon Maintenance Service from time to time at CPS, primarily cleanings.
I wonder if this feature got lost in a firmware update.
The 1DX Mk II is running 1.1.6

Thanks for any or all help!

Mark A.

Hi, Mark. I don't normally have the af point set to display, but I just tried it with my 1DX2. The focus point(s) showed up correctly when displaying the image on the camera's screen (I didn't try DPP). It worked both for single point focus and a focus zone that had multiple points in focus. The points don't show up if the image is magnified, just as you said. My firmware is also 1.1.6.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Mark ­ A.
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2018 16:15 |  #4668

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18730965 (external link)
Hi, Mark. I don't normally have the af point set to display, but I just tried it with my 1DX2. The focus point(s) showed up correctly when displaying the image on the camera's screen (I didn't try DPP). It worked both for single point focus and a focus zone that had multiple points in focus. The points don't show up if the image is magnified, just as you said. My firmware is also 1.1.6.

Thanks LJ3Jim for looking into it and writing a reply.

I wonder if there is some overriding function disabling mine, buried in some menu.
I really hope it is not some circuitry issue.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,894 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2018 21:18 |  #4669

One common reason for this function to be disabled is that you have the distortion correction on.
The distortion correction will "massage" the image, so the recorded AF point position will not be exactly where it's recorded any longer. In that case, the camera doesn't display it at all.

Another common reason is that the focusing function has been removed from the trigger button. In such a case, if only the AF-ON button works for AF, and it's not pressed when the picture is taken, then there is no active AF point at that time. Then no such data is recorded either.

Anders

Mark ­ A.
770 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 27 days ago by Mark A..

Oct 21, 2018 08:26 |  #4670

apersson850 wrote in post #18732530 (external link)
One common reason for this function to be disabled is that you have the distortion correction on.
The distortion correction will "massage" the image, so the recorded AF point position will not be exactly where it's recorded any longer. In that case, the camera doesn't display it at all.

Another common reason is that the focusing function has been removed from the trigger button. In such a case, if only the AF-ON button works for AF, and it's not pressed when the picture is taken, then there is no active AF point at that time. Then no such data is recorded either.

Anders,

Thank you so much for figuring it out, AND for sharing knowledge that you acquired, with the rest of us!!

Using your theory, I searched the User's Manual and on Page 196 of the English version (USA model), I found:

Page 196:
Images with distortion correction will not have the Dust Delete Data (p.403) appended. Also, the AF point(s) will not be displayed (p.351) for image playback.

The above also solves my puzzlement why some images can have dust delete data utilized in Canon's DPP, and others cannot.
(I update the Dust Delete Data frequently, and I know that not all images in DPP will benefit from it.)

Today, I disabled only the Distortion Correction option and the active Focus Points now reappear on playback; a feature I use from time to time.

I also read on page 196, where use of Distortion Correction can affect other parameters.

Because of the size of my hands, I find that it is easier for me to use the AE Lock (✽) button for Back Button Focusing.
If I decouple the shutter button from auto focusing duty, and used just the AE Lock button for focusing, I will get the active Focus Points displayed on playback.

Motivated by your post, I think I should reread the User's Manual again.

I did have a concern that the camera had a "glitch", but I had a stronger sense that another setting was thwarting the function(s) I sought to use.
It is a load off of my mind that the camera is functioning as designed, and is not in some sort of trouble.
(I really value and enjoy, these 1-Series cameras!!!)

Thank you so much for helping me, and maybe other members of the Forum!

Best regards,

Mark A.

sparqk
401 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 21, 2018 11:59 |  #4671

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://flic.kr/ps/2tzL​AL (external link)
Comments are welcome
Doug

Bkopperl
270 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 21, 2018 13:15 as a reply to  @ sparqk's post |  #4672

Great photo! This is why I'm saving up for a 1DXII. Halfway there!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2018 16:52 |  #4673

A bit closer to the bear and you'll not need any camera...

Anders

Fordsabroad
75 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2014

Oct 24, 2018 14:18 |  #4674

Bkop wrote in post #18733559 (external link)
=Bkopperl;18733559]Gre​at photo! This is why I'm saving up for a 1DXII. Halfway there!

I'd be saving up for a 600mm lens as well!!!!!

Great picture though.

tim1970
624 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2018 13:54 |  #4675

Photo session from today. First photo is with the 300mm f/2.8. An amazing combination.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1973/30644733737_72a3483b4d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NFYg​Ge  (external link) Humphrey-102 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1920/45586035761_8b8f3633a2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2csh​meP  (external link) Humphrey-104 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1941/45586040671_874c2d85a9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2csh​nGt  (external link) Humphrey-101 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 28, 2018 02:19 |  #4676

Tim, I'm trying very hard to not buy this camera and you're not helping.:lol:

I like what I like.
Gear- Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2018 10:14 |  #4677

To be honest, these images, of people standing very still, you can shoot with something cheaper too.

Anders

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,294 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 29, 2018 20:35 |  #4678

I have a little over 40 weddings on this 1Dx2

People say that you dont need a 1D AF system for weddings

I strongly disagree

I cant miss shots like this. This camera has NEVER MISSED A PROCESSIONAL SHOT. Servo is so good on these 1D bodies but the 1Dx2 is phenominal. It simply does not miss. think about that. 40+ weddings and its never missed a processional shot

If you knew how many times the focus point went to the light behind the couple on the 5D3 and 5D2 bodies. I got the 1Dx2 before the 5D4 release and I just cant shoot a processional unless its on the 1Dx2. Just does not miss

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2018 08:08 |  #4679

Look to the right in your picture and see what you can use... :-)

I can modify my statement to that people standing still, you can usually shoot with just about any camera. If your income depends on it, then it's another case.

Anders

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,294 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2018 08:59 |  #4680

apersson850 wrote in post #18739902 (external link)
Look to the right in your picture and see what you can use... :-)

I can modify my statement to that people standing still, you can usually shoot with just about any camera. If your income depends on it, then it's another case.

Yeah I almost had to shove her out of the way :-) :-)

remember the video :-)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,301,900 views & 13,493 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.