Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 16, 2018 14:35 |  #4711

MatthewK wrote in post #18752326 (external link)
David: if I'm lucky, that will be remedied next month when the 600 III arrives. If I'm lucky... there's a good chance Canon may only send 2 or 3 over, and I'll be on a waiting list for months. That would suck.

Today though, I'm going take the 100-400 II out for a spin!

I am considering buying this lens to go with my incoming 1DX2, I will be interested as to how well you can crop with it.

I like what I like.
Gear- Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 16, 2018 16:44 |  #4712

From an engagement session last weekend

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Gallery: 611 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2018 16:49 |  #4713

Red Dexs wrote in post #18752480 (external link)
I am considering buying this lens to go with my incoming 1DX2, I will be interested as to how well you can crop with it.

Nice! You sprang for the 1DX2?! Congrats!

I just got back from my inaugural outing with the 1DX2 and 100-400 II. It's a different feeling camera compared to the 5D4, that's for sure. It's all business, and that 14FPS is like a machine gun, it just rips!

Hermit Thrush... not much of a challenge for this camera, but you take what you can get :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 17, 2018 03:46 |  #4714

[QUOTE=MatthewK;187525​61]Nice! You sprang for the 1DX2?! Congrats!

Getting it next month Matt.

I like what I like.
Gear- Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 18, 2018 11:48 |  #4715

Have Canon sorted out the oil splatter problem on the later builds? I have just stumbled on this issue and have read about this matter and it is concerning me, it could very possibly influence my decision not to buy the 1DX2 and go with the 5D4. Getting it sorted through warranty would prove quite expensive for me- two plane journey (I hate flying with a passion!!) and 150 kms driving to and fro to the airport, this is also a major factor to consider. I've had enough of this with my 7D2.
It has been mentioned that shooting the 1DX2 at high burst rates in higher temperatures makes the oil more viscus (obviously) and this can lead to the contamination, the temp in Crete can get up to 40c in the Summer so oil splatter is going to happen unless Canon have sorted it out. I am not paying £5K+ on a camera I can only use when it's cold!!

So 1DX2 shooters what is the state of play regarding this please.

I like what I like.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,916 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2018 16:10 |  #4716

I had to do some cleaning the first weeks or so, but never since then.

Anders

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 18, 2018 16:58 |  #4717

Experienced something cool today: there were Starlings flying about finding breakfast, and I decided to try some BIF. With the 100-400 II, camera in all-points AI-Servo, I was able to get the camera to lock on and track them, and actually get in-focused shots. Never had this kind of prowess with the 5D4, it always seemed just a small step behind, so I really haven't been one to even attempt BIF. Frankly, I'm blown away.

The oil spatter issue, I've read about it as well; since I'm a CPS member and a clean is a quick turnaround due to Canon being relatively close, I am not sweating it. Yes, it sucks, especially for the money spent, and it was actually part of what initially kept me from wanting to keep this camera. But, if it isn't affecting my photos (I rarely shoot smaller than f/8) I can live with it. In my book, the benefits outweigh this inconvenience.

flickr (external link)

Weja
938 posts
Gallery: 514 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2018 00:35 |  #4718

apersson850 wrote in post #18753806 (external link)
I had to do some cleaning the first weeks or so, but never since then.

Can you tell us a bit more how you clean your sensor.
Only with air or wet cleaning with swabs,and wat liquid you use for this.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: 1DX , 5D IV, 600mm. F4 L IS II ,100/400 L IS II, 100 F2.8 L IS macro, 1.4 Tc.III , 2.0 Tc. III,
Gitzo 5541 LS with Wimberley head II

Weja
938 posts
Gallery: 514 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011
Post edited 28 days ago by Weja. (2 edits in all)

Nov 19, 2018 00:43 |  #4719

Red Dexs wrote in post #18753585 (external link)
Have Canon sorted out the oil splatter problem on the later builds? I have just stumbled on this issue and have read about this matter and it is concerning me, it could very possibly influence my decision not to buy the 1DX2 and go with the 5D4. Getting it sorted through warranty would prove quite expensive for me- two plane journey (I hate flying with a passion!!) and 150 kms driving to and fro to the airport, this is also a major factor to consider. I've had enough of this with my 7D2.
It has been mentioned that shooting the 1DX2 at high burst rates in higher temperatures makes the oil more viscus (obviously) and this can lead to the contamination, the temp in Crete can get up to 40c in the Summer so oil splatter is going to happen unless Canon have sorted it out. I am not paying £5K+ on a camera I can only use when it's cold!!

So 1DX2 shooters what is the state of play regarding this please.

That was exactly the thing , that I have choose the 5dIV.
If that oil splatter issue wasn´t there i would already buy one.

I have spoke here with people who own a 1dx II , and some have to clean once every 20 K , and some every 1500 shots.

Feels for me like a sort of a gamble ,you get a good or a bad one.

Should not have to be the case with such a expensive piece of equipment.

My 5d IV is one year old and till yet i have never cleaned him.

My 1dx I i clean 2 or 3 times a year, but there are also a lot of them having the same oil splatter issue.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: 1DX , 5D IV, 600mm. F4 L IS II ,100/400 L IS II, 100 F2.8 L IS macro, 1.4 Tc.III , 2.0 Tc. III,
Gitzo 5541 LS with Wimberley head II

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 19, 2018 02:49 |  #4720

Thank you Weja.
MatthewK, I'm a CPS member too, its the cost of getting to the technician to get it fixed. Even if I lived in the UK it would be a bit of a journey.
'apersson850' what cleaning was involved, how heavy was the oil splatter?
Looking at the 'cause' it seems constant high speed>14fps shooting is the main culprit.
This is putting a dampener on things now, I was so looking forward to buying this camera.

Any more opinions ? There are over a hundred 1DX2 owners on this forum.

I like what I like.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,916 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 28 days ago by apersson850.

Nov 19, 2018 03:17 |  #4721

Well, I don't know how to define how much dirt there was on the sensor, sans having a suitable photo, taken with minimum aperture. But I haven't saved any such photo.
Anyway, I thought it was too much, so I bought some ready-to-use swabs from a photo dealer here in Sweden. I actually got them for my 1DX, which required a few cleanings the first few months I had it. Since then, no issue to talk about.
When I got my 1DX Mark II, it also required some cleaning to begin with. I used the same method.
Now I'm not a professional, taking thousands of pictures every day. But it happens that I take thousands of pictures in a day, occasionally. The splatter (if that's what it was, but I think so) has not come back.

Don't let this stop you from acquiring a 1DX/1DX Mark II. They are by far the best cameras I've ever had.

Anders

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 28 days ago by MatthewK.

Nov 19, 2018 04:16 |  #4722

Red Dexs wrote in post #18754192 (external link)
Thank you Weja.
MatthewK, I'm a CPS member too, its the cost of getting to the technician to get it fixed. Even if I lived in the UK it would be a bit of a journey.
'apersson850' what cleaning was involved, how heavy was the oil splatter?
Looking at the 'cause' it seems constant high speed>14fps shooting is the main culprit.
This is putting a dampener on things now, I was so looking forward to buying this camera.

Any more opinions ? There are over a hundred 1DX2 owners on this forum.

Having just gone through this decision myself, and tipped in favor of buying (obviously), I can relate to your anxiety. This oil spatter thing, along with already owning a 5D4 that I'm 100% happy with, almost stopped me from buying. Since you're not in a position to have it cleaned if the issue becomes severe, and if it'll cause you anxiety going forward, I would pass on buying and go 5D4. It's a solid, mature product that I would recommend to anyone. It'll will deliver the goods when demanded, and the output from that sensor is a joy to work with. With the prices steadily dropping, it's becoming more and more of a deal. Good luck with your decision, I'm keeping an eye on which way you go :)

From my reading, 1DX2 owners from earlier this year were still experiencing spatter, so it's safe to say it's still an ongoing issue. I'm not going to go shoot white walls at f/22 in search for problems, but I will definitely report back if this to impact my normal work.

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 19, 2018 04:21 |  #4723

umphotography wrote in post #18752558 (external link)
From an engagement session last weekend
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=187​52558&i=i22735632
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

This is a gorgeous shot, on so many levels. I know this is a thread dedicated to the camera body, but I think the experienced photographer expertly employing a 135L is where the credit is due :)

flickr (external link)

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,677 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 28 days ago by Red Dexs.

Nov 19, 2018 06:47 |  #4724

apersson850 wrote in post #18754200 (external link)
Well, I don't know how to define how much dirt there was on the sensor, sans having a suitable photo, taken with minimum aperture. But I haven't saved any such photo.
Anyway, I thought it was too much, so I bought some ready-to-use swabs from a photo dealer here in Sweden. I actually got them for my 1DX, which required a few cleanings the first few months I had it. Since then, no issue to talk about.
When I got my 1DX Mark II, it also required some cleaning to begin with. I used the same method.
Now I'm not a professional, taking thousands of pictures every day. But it happens that I take thousands of pictures in a day, occasionally. The splatter (if that's what it was, but I think so) has not come back.

Don't let this stop you from acquiring a 1DX/1DX Mark II. They are by far the best cameras I've ever had.

MatthewK wrote in post #18754215 (external link)
Having just gone through this decision myself, and tipped in favor of buying (obviously), I can relate to your anxiety. This oil spatter thing, along with already owning a 5D4 that I'm 100% happy with, almost stopped me from buying. Since you're not in a position to have it cleaned if the issue becomes severe, and if it'll cause you anxiety going forward, I would pass on buying and go 5D4. It's a solid, mature product that I would recommend to anyone. It'll will deliver the goods when demanded, and the output from that sensor is a joy to work with. With the prices steadily dropping, it's becoming more and more of a deal. Good luck with your decision, I'm keeping an eye on which way you go :)

From my reading, 1DX2 owners from earlier this year were still experiencing spatter, so it's safe to say it's still an ongoing issue. I'm not going to go shoot white walls at f/22 in search for problems, but I will definitely report back if this to impact my normal work.

Thanks guys.

I like what I like.

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 20, 2018 12:00 |  #4725

Oil splatter issue only really rears it's head if you 'machine gun' shoot, the shutter is obscenely fast so the oil is needed. YES it's a little annoying - had mine done by CPS after first race season then just wet clean when needed, probably done it 3 times in nearly 200,000+ shots! I try to 'get the shot' in one, occasionally I shoot off two frames - especially if it's cold / wet and my fingers don't work as they should lol.

Seriously guys and girls - DON'T be put off by it, usually you wont see it anyway unless your doing really slow panning with high aperture and if you do get it, it really is a simple clean.

Use THESE (external link) guys for all my cleaning kit.

.DAVID.

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,322,133 views & 13,717 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.