Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,808 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by umphotography. (2 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2018 07:36 |  #4756

MatthewK wrote in post #18769286 (external link)
You didn't disclose how many total shots you took, but 500 keepers is insanely impressive considering the subject matter! From what I'm experiencing, this camera doesn't miss too often, it's just so confidence-inspiring. Along with the higher FPS, the more consistent + accurate AF is the biggest advantage I'm seeing over my 5D4. I'm not binning as many shots due to soft/missed focus.

It was extremely dark out there today so I had to keep shutter speeds down. I was playing around BT 1/500-800. In the morning when first light appeared and until about 11:00Am.... I would go to 6400-12800 iso at F/2.8-3.2 with a shutter at 1/640 or above..... so I was playing a lot at 1/400 and had a lot of motion in the shots. It was insanely dark most of the day. When the light came out I was able to get a shutter at 1/640-1200-2000 and i had very few misses. I took about 900 shots on this 8 hr trip...lost of burst shots

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Lt ­ Colonel
768 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 12, 2018 09:34 |  #4757

Oh the pressure. Canon Price Watch has just listed the 1 DX II for $4599.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Mark ­ A.
949 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Mark A.. (2 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2018 10:55 as a reply to  @ Lt Colonel's post |  #4758

I paid $4,600 at B&H for a new 1DX, when the release of the 1DX Mk II was just around the corner.
My sense is that you will see this $4,600 price more and more often as a "Mk III" looms, and perhaps for even lower prices, as that the 1DX Mk II had a lower MSRP than its predecessor.

I once purchased a 100-400 Mk II thru CPW and everything was just fine.
Still, I like B&H quite a bit for their excellent policies.
(I paid MSRP at B&H for the Mk II "kit" with the Sandisk card and reader, when it just came out)

My point is, don't worry about missing this sale if you have to.
It will return, and often with "freebies" added to lure you to one dealer over another other.

To me, both of these bodies are "worth it" and I got and continue to get, my money's worth out of the two of them.

CH_Devin
671 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 12, 2018 13:28 |  #4759

The used 1DX IIs are going or $3600 on eBay.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,808 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 12, 2018 13:40 |  #4760

Mark A. wrote in post #18769443 (external link)
I paid $4,600 at B&H for a new 1DX, when the release of the 1DX Mk II was just around the corner.
My sense is that you will see this $4,600 price more and more often as a "Mk III" looms, and perhaps for even lower prices, as that the 1DX Mk II had a lower MSRP than its predecessor.

I once purchased a 100-400 Mk II thru CPW and everything was just fine.
Still, I like B&H quite a bit for their excellent policies.
(I paid MSRP at B&H for the Mk II "kit" with the Sandisk card and reader, when it just came out)

My point is, don't worry about missing this sale if you have to.
It will return, and often with "freebies" added to lure you to one dealer over another other.

To me, both of these bodies are "worth it" and I got and continue to get, my money's worth out of the two of them.

I sincerely Doubt that we will see a 1Dx111. My guess is this will be the last one.

I Predict that we will see an EOS-RX mirrorless body come out next year or early 2020 just before the Olympics. I think it will do anything an A9 can do and then some. I think its game over for the DSLR with the new mount and the optics they will be able to produce

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,264 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 12, 2018 15:30 |  #4761

Hehe, to be nitpicking, we may se a 1DX Mark III, though. They say professional photo journalists and sports photographers are conservative.

But a hundred-and-eleven, no...  :p

Anders

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Ah-keong.

Dec 12, 2018 19:38 |  #4762

umphotography wrote in post #18769553 (external link)
I sincerely Doubt that we will see a 1Dx111. My guess is this will be the last one.

I Predict that we will see an EOS-RX mirrorless body come out next year or early 2020 just before the Olympics. I think it will do anything an A9 can do and then some. I think its game over for the DSLR with the new mount and the optics they will be able to produce

I was thinking that the "1Dxiii" and the "7Diii" may be launched together for Olympics 2020.
By then, I believe that would be the end of the 6D series and 5DsR series. -?

The new mount has great potential for ultra-wide angle and wide angle optics  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1,2 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel | MT055XPRO3 |

sparqk
451 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2018 21:40 as a reply to  @ post 18769143 |  #4763

Nice series Mike

http://flic.kr/ps/2tzL​AL (external link)
https://douglasfisk.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
Comments are welcome
Doug

sploo
premature adulation
2,597 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 13, 2018 05:31 |  #4764

umphotography wrote in post #18769553 (external link)

I'd reserve judgement on that one; from available evidence it doesn't appear that the short registration distance of mirrorless gives any notable advantages for longer lenses. I'd assume a good percentage of 1D shooters are either sports or wildlife guys, so given the lack of big whites with an R mount there would need to be a big enough advantage in the body for them to accept the additional time/cost/reliability issues of using the adaptor.

Not saying it won't happen in time, but for example, is the a9 "better" than the 1DxII and D5? If so, then a "1DR" might have mileage.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,808 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2018 08:22 |  #4765

sploo wrote in post #18769981 (external link)
I'd reserve judgement on that one; from available evidence it doesn't appear that the short registration distance of mirrorless gives any notable advantages for longer lenses. I'd assume a good percentage of 1D shooters are either sports or wildlife guys, so given the lack of big whites with an R mount there would need to be a big enough advantage in the body for them to accept the additional time/cost/reliability issues of using the adaptor.

Not saying it won't happen in time, but for example, is the a9 "better" than the 1DxII and D5? If so, then a "1DR" might have mileage.

From what I can see the A9 has a superior burst features over a 1Dx2. Additionally, with the new adapter being so good. mounting big whites on the new mirrorless is not going to be a problem. Where I see significant advantages of the mirrorless over the current technology is use of TC's fpor the wildlife and sports guys. I have read a few reports now with people who are using TC's on the EOS R with no images breakdown with 2.0s and more importantly, no slowdown or impedance to AF functions. If this hold up to be true, Wildlife shooters like me will jump at mirrorless technology even with existing optics. Im seeing lots of reports of old glass having new life on this new EOS-R.

Its going to be all about AF performance and lets not kid anyone.We buy the 1D bodies for AF performance and build. I see some real advantages to the R mount bodies and the new technology. The optics are insanely good. Things will change for sure. I just dont see a 1Dx111. I do see a dual card mirrorless aimed directly at the professional market and I see it happening very soon

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,597 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 13, 2018 09:48 |  #4766

umphotography wrote in post #18770033 (external link)
From what I can see the A9 has a superior burst features over a 1Dx2. Additionally, with the new adapter being so good. mounting big whites on the new mirrorless is not going to be a problem. Where I see significant advantages of the mirrorless over the current technology is use of TC's fpor the wildlife and sports guys. I have read a few reports now with people who are using TC's on the EOS R with no images breakdown with 2.0s and more importantly, no slowdown or impedance to AF functions. If this hold up to be true, Wildlife shooters like me will jump at mirrorless technology even with existing optics. Im seeing lots of reports of old glass having new life on this new EOS-R.

Its going to be all about AF performance and lets not kid anyone.We buy the 1D bodies for AF performance and build. I see some real advantages to the R mount bodies and the new technology. The optics are insanely good. Things will change for sure. I just dont see a 1Dx111. I do see a dual card mirrorless aimed directly at the professional market and I see it happening very soon

By "no images breakdown with 2.0s" do you mean no image degradation? That doesn't make any sense; in that the light path (lens->TC->EF-to-R adaptor->sensor) is exactly the same as when using a DSLR. It (the TC) is also still magnifying a smaller section of the lens projection.

AF with a TC however may work better on mirrorless (AF at f/11 is possible even on modern DSLRs in Liveview, I believe).

Burst rate absolutely makes sense (no mirror to move).

Ultimately I guess if Canon could offer a mirrorless 'R' 1DxII today, that had the same sensor, and matched the overall AF performance of the DSLR 1DxII, then it could be desirable due to the lack of moving mirror (especially if that resulted in an increased max burst speed). What I don't know is if there's any current mirrorless that matches the overall AF capabilities of the 1DxII and D5.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,808 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2018 12:35 |  #4767

sploo wrote in post #18770092 (external link)
By "no images breakdown with 2.0s" do you mean no image degradation? That doesn't make any sense; in that the light path (lens->TC->EF-to-R adaptor->sensor) is exactly the same as when using a DSLR. It (the TC) is also still magnifying a smaller section of the lens projection.

AF with a TC however may work better on mirrorless (AF at f/11 is possible even on modern DSLRs in Liveview, I believe).

Burst rate absolutely makes sense (no mirror to move).

Ultimately I guess if Canon could offer a mirrorless 'R' 1DxII today, that had the same sensor, and matched the overall AF performance of the DSLR 1DxII, then it could be desirable due to the lack of moving mirror (especially if that resulted in an increased max burst speed). What I don't know is if there's any current mirrorless that matches the overall AF capabilities of the 1DxII and D5.

well if you listen to the fan boys then they say the A9 absolutly does. Im skeptical as best because I know exactly how good the 1Dx2 is and it will be hard for anyone to match the performance of the 1Dx2 and D5

I can tell you that the AF on the A7iii was OK on native glass and absolute Crapola on adapted glass. I never got it inside a dark room to see how it would do in low light but others have and they tell me it sucks. They put them away and grab the 5D4 and 1Dx bodies

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

cheffievrs
569 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 13, 2018 15:17 |  #4768

I’d like to see the A9 silent shutter or any true silent shutter in a 1dx iii if it was to come.. man does it spooke wildlife at the of worst times...

Queens Royal Hussars
www.jswphotography.co.​uk (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,707 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 13, 2018 15:36 |  #4769

Lt Colonel wrote in post #18769408 (external link)
Oh the pressure. Canon Price Watch has just listed the 1 DX II for $4599.

That's a 1D finally back down to historic 1D prices! (instead of 1Ds prices)

Tempting... -?vmad

But just no way I can manage it... vmad

1DX III Pro Bundle for sale
GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Gallery: 999 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 13, 2018 19:07 |  #4770

Shot the 1DX2 alongside my 5D4 this afternoon, and was able to photograph a semi-tolerant Barred Owl from the same spot, same lens (100-400 II w/ 1.4xIII). Almost similar metering. Basically, I just wanted to see what the cropped photos would look like side-by-side, if the extra resolution is noticeable. Aside from the obvious, the 5D4 photo had a yellow cast to it, even after matching WB. I tried to match the look between the shots (color, saturation, sharpening, etc). Overall, the 1DX2 just seems to make a cleaner file, requiring less work.

Not the most scientific comparison, but that wasn't my intent... I just wanted to do some real life comparisons. Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,578,338 views & 18,155 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.