Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by frankchn.

May 09, 2016 18:12 |  #541

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001594 (external link)
I edited the post from how it was originally posted. The point I was making is not that jpegs per se are bad but that SOOC jpegs are deficient in ways that I think are critical for general internet use (exceptions mentioned already). Everyone seems very excited by the high quality of 1Dx2 SOOC jpegs but to me they are almost useless without metadata (see above for specifics) and watermarking.

I think the pro sports/journalist photographers and their agencies will be the most excited about the SOOC JPEG improvements (and they are perhaps the single largest market for 1D/D5-level cameras). The deficiencies are not an issue for them and they can't wait around while RAW files are being transferred over.

See http://gizmodo.com …hers-capture-s-1521746623 (external link), and in particular:

The second a photographer fires the shutter on a camera, the resulting image—a high quality JPEG, not an uncompressed RAW file—is transported by ethernet to Getty's central editing office in about 1.5 seconds. There, a team of three editors processes the photo. The first selects the best image and crops it for composition; the second editor color corrects; and the third adds metadata. The whole editing process is done in 30-40 seconds. Once the last editor is done, the image is blasted to the world. It takes about 90 seconds for the images to travel over redundant 100 Mbit/s dedicated lines to Getty's data servers in the the United States.

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 09, 2016 18:32 |  #542

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18001499 (external link)
Czech and Chinese (Sheffield if they are old enough to be actual Marples, which Irwin bought and ruined. Current ones are Chinese)

I have some of the older Sheffield Marples Blue chips, and a discontinued variety I can't recall the name of that had more durable "hammer friendly." handles. (yellow clear, instead of the opaque blue)
I've compared them to some that I got later that are Chinese.

Interestingly the Chinese have better finishing than the Sheffield, flatter bottom's less obvious machining marks, but the steel simply not as good at taking or holding an edge. (But these are about 5 year old Chinese (or more) and I know that Chinese steel has been constantly improving. )

If you can find the Sheffield ones, they are worth taking to time to flatten and hone up to be sure.

Now the Narex, is simply one of the best buys in current chisels.

Yep - the Czechs are making some very nice chisels (as well as beer). Not that I'd advise mixing the two - in one session anyway ;-)a

The Marples are probably Chinese (less than 10 years old, so unlikely to be UK made).

GyRob wrote in post #18001548 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by GyRob in
./showthread.php?p=180​01548&i=i230375004
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

You have to Photoshop in a lamppost to the left of that image :mrgreen:

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

fish_shooter
98 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

May 09, 2016 18:34 |  #543

tonyxcom wrote in post #18001599 (external link)
What makes you think that people who choose to shoot JPEG's have to use them SOOC? Why can't they edit them in Lightroom same as they do RAW files?

Re-saving jpegs can reduce IQ. I am not sure if one can save a jpeg with metadata added without also re-saving the image itself.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/ (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,029 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 09, 2016 18:43 |  #544

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001597 (external link)
Did the owl hear you?
Very interesting position.

Yes that's why the look and panic to get away .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

fish_shooter
98 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by fish_shooter. (2 edits in all)

May 09, 2016 18:45 |  #545

frankchn wrote in post #18001616 (external link)
I think the pro sports/journalist photographers and their agencies will be the most excited about the SOOC JPEG improvements (and they are perhaps the single largest market for 1D/D5-level cameras). The deficiencies are not an issue for them and they can't wait around while RAW files are being transferred over.

See http://gizmodo.com …hers-capture-s-1521746623 (external link), and in particular:

The interesting part of this workflow is that someone other than the photog receives the image and does some editing. I wonder if there will be a place at the Olympics with people doing this. For example they would want the careful and certain that they got the athlete's name, country, event, placement etc. correct before distributing a given image.

I gather no one complains about the fact that Getty is post-processing a jpeg. For many images speed is probably more than important than potential image quality issues.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/ (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 09, 2016 18:57 |  #546

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001637 (external link)
Re-saving jpegs can reduce IQ. I am not sure if one can save a jpeg with metadata added without also re-saving the image itself.

I believe there are tools to edit metadata without affecting the image portion (I can't think of any technical reason why it shouldn't be possible).

That said, re-saving a JPEG a couple of times (with relatively high quality settings) rarely does too much visible damage. Many times is a different matter, of course.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

RodS57
907 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 09, 2016 19:00 |  #547

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18000876 (external link)
I was able to find and buy 4 brand new Stanley 118 low angle block planes... the best block plane, as far as I'm concerned. These in addition to several of the older models of the 118. They went out of production in the mid 80's, I think. Of course I have the standard No. 5 Stanley jack plane, but I love the Lie Nielsen planes: they are works of art. I have a few of them.

I have a nice collection.... but not enough of them to sell and buy a 1D X Mark ll. ;)

I woodn't do that if I was you. :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 09, 2016 19:03 as a reply to  @ fish_shooter's post |  #548

Yeah, the large wire agencies will definitely have people in the Olympics Media Center dedicated to post-processing and uploading to their news management systems (e.g. AP ENPS, etc...).

For instance, the 2012 Olympics had a 900,000 sq ft media center: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg …don_Olympics_Me​dia_Centre (external link)

aehric
109 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2015

May 09, 2016 19:18 |  #549

The spare battery from my original order just arrived from Adorama. If anyone is still waiting on theirs I'd guess it shouldn't be too long now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tonyxcom
209 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 09, 2016 19:50 as a reply to  @ aehric's post |  #550

Anyone notice the battery door on the new batteries feels substantially different than previous. Here's hoping they don't gloss over and lose their texture from rubbing against your clothing like all the other ones did.

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,145 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 09, 2016 19:51 as a reply to  @ post 18001599 |  #551

That is exactly what I do, I shoot jpeg and post process.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,145 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 09, 2016 19:53 as a reply to  @ fish_shooter's post |  #552

You can edit the exif on a jpg without affecting the jpeg content itself.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

RodS57
907 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 09, 2016 19:55 |  #553

jwcdds wrote in post #18001447 (external link)
Time to package up the old girl and find her a new home. :lol: She served me well and helped me capture many priceless memories.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Sliding sideways here for a moment. Sorry.

The second picture of your camera box (last picture) reminded me of something. When I bought my 7D mk2 there was a promotion on. All I had to do was cut the bar code from the box and send it in. In return I would get a canon branded jacket. I put the box on my flat bed scanner and sent that picture in. I was informed that was not sufficient. It had to be the bar code cut from the box. I refused to cut up the box so no jacket. End of story.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

zman
776 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2016 20:57 |  #554

aehric wrote in post #18001691 (external link)
The spare battery from my original order just arrived from Adorama. If anyone is still waiting on theirs I'd guess it shouldn't be too long now.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by aehric in
./showthread.php?p=180​01691&i=i236770978

I should have mine tomorrow

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 09, 2016 22:56 |  #555

aehric wrote in post #18001691 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by aehric in
./showthread.php?p=180​01691&i=i236770978

My free battery arrived today too. Stoked!

I'm leaving in a couple of hours for my cameraless non-photorgaphy trip. I only had time to take the 1DX2 out in the backyard for 10 mins to test the camera's AF system on some birds in the backyard. Having never used a 1-series before, it will take me some time to re-program my brain where some of the buttons are now...but wow is this a smoking hot camera!! I can't believe how good the new metering system is and out of 294 pictures, I only missed focus one time. Unbelievable!

I'm looking forward to giving this thing a serious workout when I get home.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

1,925,317 views & 15,684 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.