Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,224 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 30, 2016 18:45 |  #1096

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #18024179 (external link)
Now that I know the trick, a couple of studio shots from this weekend...

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

The first and 3rd are with the strobes firing. The second was just cranking up ISO and taking a longer shot.

I've certainly gotten these shots with the 1Dx before, but this is my first time dropping the II into the studio.

These are fun. We still have a Compaq III portable computer with expansion chassis at work. Until a couple years ago we still used it for some older test equipment, it's still fully functional but just sits on the shelf for now.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 30, 2016 19:01 |  #1097

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18024182 (external link)
The US intercontinental nuclear missiles are operated using floppy disks like that

They're using 8". Those are 5.25". Having worked on a few Army contracts over the years I've gotta say that I'm not surprised. There are just so many "little" systems and programs scattered around that it's easy to imagine something like that happening.

The scary part is that the hardware that's making the news is nothing as compared to the software. The government still has hundreds of antiquated IT systems written in deprecated languages and using nearly incomprehensible data storage. They probably have users manuals written in back-mountain Swahili as well... :p

BTW, I've got several running 8" disk systems, including at least one for the Sol-20, but since the average drive weighs 15-20 lbs with a 10lb power supply and a 15 lb steel enclosure I don't take them out much...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

May 30, 2016 19:13 as a reply to  @ post 18024126 |  #1098

1/25 sec at 300mm isn't the formula for sharp to begin with and ISO 12,800 (you noted it as ISO 10,000 but POTN called it 12.8k - whatever) is probably a stop further than dark when you shot this. Considering all, it's amazing.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

HKFEVER
Goldmember
1,982 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2004
Post edited over 3 years ago by HKFEVER. (3 edits in all)

May 30, 2016 23:20 |  #1099

Scott_online wrote in post #18023091 (external link)
It does sound like a timing issue but it's odd that it always affects the same portion of the image. I don't know but it's possible that CFAST cards have a RAM buffer in front of the Flash memory to speed up writes and perhaps there's a problem in clearing the buffer. That might explain why the corrupted area is always the same size and shape.

Another possibility is fragmentation. There's an interesting article on Thom Hogan's site where he interviews the CEO of a company that recovers data from corrupted flash cards and he describes symptoms very similar to what's being seen here: http://www.dslrbodies.​com …a-recovery-interview.html (external link)

I am pretty sure the quality of the CFast card does affect the corrupt images issue:
- Canon has my card for over 7 days now, still can't figure out what's going on :(

1. Original Sandisk 128 card came with camera has more corrupted files:
- corrupted file at lower right corner
- file being chopped up
- files that can't be open,
- files OK to open at the first place but corrupted afterward.

2. Second 128 card that I bought only has 1 file was OK to open at the first place but corrupted afterward. And the rest 500+ files are A OKKKKK :)

Local Canon CPS just called:
1. They aware the corrupted film (JPG & RAW) issue.
2. They can't figure out what cause this corruption yet.
3. They will exchange a new CFast card at this moment.
4. They will send my corrupted files to Japan for further testing (Japan awared this issue).
5. They are pretty sure not the camera problem.

dzaneh
913 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2016 00:25 |  #1100

got a new Cfast card & shot a few night pics...converted to B&W only no other adjustments...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

stuff

dzaneh
913 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2016 00:26 |  #1101

HOSTED PHOTO

stuff

dzaneh
913 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2016 00:27 |  #1102

HOSTED PHOTO

stuff

Dankata
Cream of the Crop
5,167 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 31, 2016 01:25 |  #1103

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7403/27092740550_22df7b0c0f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Hh6n​So  (external link) Karla Silva (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

-Daniel-
1DXII | 5DIII | 135L | Sigma 35 | 24-70L |17-40L | Sigma 150-600C | 600EX-RT
T1i |85 1.8 | 18-55 | Sigma 10mm f/2.8 Fish Eye | Yongnuo YN-622C| Raynox DCR-250
Facebook (external link) Flickr  (external link)500px (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by umphotography.

May 31, 2016 08:39 |  #1104

Going through files from Saturdays wedding. these were test shots to see what the light was inside the barrel room where everyone was hiding just before the ceremony. I walked in the room and forgot to turn on the flash and the safety setting kicked in on the body and sent the ISO to 12800. Light was horrendous in this room. Green on 1 wall, Purple/blue the other, plus the overheads you can see......So I clicked off the shot with the flash on the 2nd pic and had to adjust one more time to get a balance I liked

These 2 test shots really show that a crapola exposure is still a crapola exposure. Noise at 12800 is pretty bad but it could be cleaned. Again this went in the trash. But I think it really sows that the sensor is much better than its previous version as 12800 in these circumstances would have been a stop worse....for some reason 12800 with an BAD exposure might be savable in some situations.

We all forget to do this. Turn a flash back on, test the light and get exposures and have a great file that could not be saved. My safety settings are 50-128000 ISO...I dont want it going to 25000 ISO unless I put there.......12800 on a bad exposure looks salvageable to me

Thought I would share. These 2 shots are now long gone

2nd shot was at 400 ISO....both were at F/4.0 @ 1/125

THIS IS A 5 STOP SCREW UP..maybe more when you account for flash.....ensor is pretty darn good

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

focusfirm
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2016

May 31, 2016 09:26 |  #1105

sploo wrote in post #18024110 (external link)
That's certainly plausible. It looks as though the size of the corrupted area varies a bit, but that would still be consistent with a buffer/size/timing related issue.

That's an interesting article, but what he's talking about with fragmentation is that when a card gets corrupted (and that corruption hits the file system metadata) you lose the ability to work out which blocks on the storage belong (in which order) to which file. A clean (newly formatted) file system means there's a higher chance that each new file that's written will be placed in consecutive blocks - thus it'd be easier to reconstruct a file in the event of metadata corruption. With a fragmented file table, a single file could be sprayed all over the media as a chain of blocks. If you've lost the data that describes the chain, reconstruction is much harder. However - I don't think that's the case here, as it looks to be the file content that's damaged.

And in my case, I used the Sandisk tool on the Mac to do a Full Format and Refresh followed by a format in Camera, and I still had the problem the next time I used that card. I got no errors during either format. It may be a timing problem, since I just noticed the 128GB SanDisk card has much faster write speed than the little bundled card.

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by frankchn.

May 31, 2016 11:25 |  #1106

sploo wrote in post #18024132 (external link)
There's a saying: between conspiracy and c*ckup; favour c*ckup.

I've no doubt that this sort of thing is sometimes done deliberately (knobbling third party kit), but it is a dangerous game - you irritate owners of said gear, and some buyers may even choose a body based on a desire to use certain third party kit. Better to sell a body and not a lens/flash/accessory than to not sell anything.

It's really easy for a small change in a product to render an accessory broken, and if it's a third party accessory you're obviously not going to be trying that hard to test them. I know that doesn't help the end user, but I suspect it's more likely to be that than a deliberate attempt to cripple third party gear.

I am in "the accidental screwup camp" because the Zeiss Otus 28mm behaves properly, so whatever the issue is, it is only affecting older Zeiss lenses.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,633 posts
Gallery: 1654 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 31, 2016 11:28 |  #1107

frankchn wrote in post #18024913 (external link)
I am in "the accidental screwup camp" because the Zeiss Otus 28mm behaves properly, so whatever the issue is, it is only affecting older Zeiss lenses.

Well, when the 5D3 first came out, the earlier production 200 f/2.0 L IS lenses were screwed up (IS motor making grinding noises). Had to send my copy back to the mothership for update. :D

We'll just have to see whether it's a software update from Canon, or if it takes you to send your lenses to Zeiss physically to get it squared away.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Dankata
Cream of the Crop
5,167 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 31, 2016 11:51 |  #1108

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7659/27280199252_11444371b1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HyE9​NY  (external link) Z+G (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

-Daniel-
1DXII | 5DIII | 135L | Sigma 35 | 24-70L |17-40L | Sigma 150-600C | 600EX-RT
T1i |85 1.8 | 18-55 | Sigma 10mm f/2.8 Fish Eye | Yongnuo YN-622C| Raynox DCR-250
Facebook (external link) Flickr  (external link)500px (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 31, 2016 15:20 |  #1109

Bummer. canon says send it in. off for repairs

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 31, 2016 18:18 |  #1110

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18024116 (external link)
Zeiss Lenses, Sigma and Tamron Lenses, YN622C triggers - and I'm sure more to come - all seems very deliberate on Canon's part since recent 7D2 and 5DSR bodies don't have these issues. The Zeiss issue almost seems like a middle finger and deliberate.

What's this? The 1DXII doesn't work with the Yongnuo triggers? Do you have any more info about this? Link?

Thx
PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

sponsored links

1,922,830 views & 15,669 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.