Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Drone Photography Forum

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,330 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by navydoc.

Jan 26, 2017 06:33 |  #151

joonrhee wrote in post #18255579 (external link)
Gene, that is very cool. I like it! No I haven't even attempted to try Litchi yet so I just looked it up. You have to pay for the app? Thought it would be free..

I would certainly read up on the experiences of others before deciding whether you think the app is right for you and whether it's worth the cost. The main feature I bought it for was the ability to plan out a route at home on my desktop computer, save it and load into the app to fly in the field later. I could even select points of interest during the planning stage, adjust the altitude, speed, etc so that the drone would continuously point at it as it flew by or circled it. I wanted a way to get steadier pans and rotates around a subject than I was able to do manually.

Here's a very quick test I did using the planner. All I did once airborne was to start the 'mission' and the app controlled everything else, including camera angle and returning home.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
joonrhee
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2017 10:21 |  #152

Thank you for the info Gene. I really like and enjoy manually flying my bird and don't really see myself using many of the features. Heck, I don't even use the already available awesome features from DJI GO4 app.. So, it's probably not worth the cost TO ME.

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2017 13:44 |  #153

Here's the video from the same place I took the photo of the dock.
Shot in 1080 60fps to try it.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by gabebalazs.

Mar 21, 2017 20:32 |  #154

Who here has an FAA remote pilot certification (for any kind of business use of your drone for)? Also, do you guys often run into the problem of flying in restricted airspace? (5-mile radius from airports, national parks, etc.?) Is it a big hassle/feasible to notify the tower every time you need to fly?

Bought a P3P for my real estate photo business and the law says that anyone making any money from selling drone services, pictures/videos, etc. needs the FAA certificate.

I'm just trying to decide if the limited client demand I've encountered so far regarding aerial shots is actually worth the jumping through all the hoops and paying $150+ for the test.
(I will not use the drone without getting certified, so if I decide that I won't do it, I'll sell the drone.)
I'm always a do-your-research kinda guy but this time I just wrongly assumed that the only thing I needed was to register the drone at the FAA.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 22, 2017 07:34 |  #155

gabebalazs wrote in post #18307471 (external link)
Who here has an FAA remote pilot certification (for any kind of business use of your drone for)? Also, do you guys often run into the problem of flying in restricted airspace? (5-mile radius from airports, national parks, etc.?) Is it a big hassle/feasible to notify the tower every time you need to fly?

Bought a P3P for my real estate photo business and the law says that anyone making any money from selling drone services, pictures/videos, etc. needs the FAA certificate.

I'm just trying to decide if the limited client demand I've encountered so far regarding aerial shots is actually worth the jumping through all the hoops and paying $150+ for the test.
(I will not use the drone without getting certified, so if I decide that I won't do it, I'll sell the drone.)
I'm always a do-your-research kinda guy but this time I just wrongly assumed that the only thing I needed was to register the drone at the FAA.

I went through the same thinking - and decided against going for the certification for now. I think it depends on your market. There are already a fair number of commercial operators near me, and the photography business is just a part time thing for me, so not enough return.

I do have a P3P I've had for almost two years, and find the IQ lacking some, especially coming from a FF body. It's decent in good light but the new P4 Pro camera is substantially better. I enjoy using mine for my own enjoyment maybe I'll upgrade when the P5 comes out. Good luck on your decision

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 22, 2017 08:07 |  #156

cutwater wrote in post #18307801 (external link)
I went through the same thinking - and decided against going for the certification for now. I think it depends on your market. There are already a fair number of commercial operators near me, and the photography business is just a part time thing for me, so not enough return.

I do have a P3P I've had for almost two years, and find the IQ lacking some, especially coming from a FF body. It's decent in good light but the new P4 Pro camera is substantially better. I enjoy using mine for my own enjoyment maybe I'll upgrade when the P5 comes out. Good luck on your decision

Thank you.
Right now I'm leaning towards doing the certification. Photography is my full-time business, although I'm also a part-time stay-home dad at this point (2 year old and a 6-week old.) I have quite a few large clients, apartment management companies, I also work for Ten-X (fka Auction.com). So my thinking is that it'll pay off in the future. But it's a thin line; I wasn't into drones, still not a huge enthusiast but a month ago I found a refurb P3P at a reasonable price with Ebay bucks (came out to $500 with 1-year DJI warranty). So that made me decide to buy one. I was not happy to find out about the certification requirement, but it's my fault, I hadn't done my homework properly.

Regarding the camera, yeah, it's not the best but I did know that before (I try not to compare it to my FF cameras :) ). If it all works out for me and get orders, I will upgrade to the 1" sensor P4P in the future (or whatever is the successor).

The biggest problem with the P3P camera though is it's bad quality control. Mine came with a flaw, a gradual diagonal blurring of the image. Upper left quarter was great and sharp, the middle mediocre, lower right was ugly. I sent it in for warranty repair. They replaced the camera/gimbal unit. The new camera (probably another refurbished part) was soft in the middle. Great, I thought. First I thought about sending it back again but the turnaround time is about 3-4 weeks and with so many bad units out there, no guarantee that I get a nice sharp copy. So I did some research and it's usually a problem of badly aligned sensor board. Easy fix, even just taking off the back plate remedied most of the problem (it was pushing the board too much.)

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 22, 2017 15:58 |  #157

gabebalazs wrote in post #18307822 (external link)
Thank you.
Right now I'm leaning towards doing the certification. Photography is my full-time business, although I'm also a part-time stay-home dad at this point (2 year old and a 6-week old.) I have quite a few large clients, apartment management companies, I also work for Ten-X (fka Auction.com). So my thinking is that it'll pay off in the future. But it's a thin line; I wasn't into drones, still not a huge enthusiast but a month ago I found a refurb P3P at a reasonable price with Ebay bucks (came out to $500 with 1-year DJI warranty). So that made me decide to buy one. I was not happy to find out about the certification requirement, but it's my fault, I hadn't done my homework properly.

Regarding the camera, yeah, it's not the best but I did know that before (I try not to compare it to my FF cameras :) ). If it all works out for me and get orders, I will upgrade to the 1" sensor P4P in the future (or whatever is the successor).

The biggest problem with the P3P camera though is it's bad quality control. Mine came with a flaw, a gradual diagonal blurring of the image. Upper left quarter was great and sharp, the middle mediocre, lower right was ugly. I sent it in for warranty repair. They replaced the camera/gimbal unit. The new camera (probably another refurbished part) was soft in the middle. Great, I thought. First I thought about sending it back again but the turnaround time is about 3-4 weeks and with so many bad units out there, no guarantee that I get a nice sharp copy. So I did some research and it's usually a problem of badly aligned sensor board. Easy fix, even just taking off the back plate remedied most of the problem (it was pushing the board too much.)

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

If you are not familiar with it, www.phantompilots.com (external link) is a good free board (like POTN!) with great resources for Phantom owners. There are also discussions about certification, study guides, etc. Pretty sure some POTN members are members there too.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by gabebalazs. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2017 17:12 as a reply to  @ KaosImagery's post |  #158

I came across phantompilots when I was researching the P3P camera softness issue. Actually, it was a nice post that helped me fix mine :)
But thanks again, I will re-visit that site.

Something else just came to my mind. I actually sent an email about it to the FAA help line earlier this afternoon. I was wondering that even though I registered my P3P as a commercial drone (non-model aircraft) whether I can fly it for recreational purposes until I get my FAA certificate, or I just cannot fly it period, not even for fun?

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,342 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Mar 24, 2017 04:23 |  #159

A heads up to Canadian pilots.
The Federal gov has just introduced new legislation that will severely cripple flying any type of remote controled aircraft. I personally do not fly a drone but do fly fixed wing and gliders. They have introduced vertical limits as well as distances from buildings. The only exceptions would be for CAM certified clubs and even then, some clubs might have to move.
Worth looking into.
https://www.canada.ca …etakeimmediatee​ffect.html (external link)

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by gabebalazs.

Mar 24, 2017 06:36 as a reply to  @ IanD's post |  #160

I'm in the US but I did read about that too.

All these regulations made me think twice and I decided to put the commercial-use plans of my drone on hold.

What bugs me the most is that based on what I read, and I still don't want to believe it, is that after completing the Part 107 test and getting a remote pilot certificate, flying the drone commercially is still a huge hassle. In fact, it's worse than flying it as a hobbyist.

What I don't get is why a hobbyist is just fine notifying the airport tower and getting verbal OK to fly within 5 miles of airports while a commercial user needs to file for authorization which may take 90 days to get??? I mean the commercial user has completed the test and got the certificate, and demonstrated that he/she can fly responsibly. Still, he/she is severely crippled compared to the hobbyist.

So basically, an uncertified hobbyist gets the verbal green light to do recreational flights (which may involve flying considerable distances and patterns, reaching up to 400 ft etc.) while for me, a commercial user, it's virtually impossible to perform the simple task of going up vertically to 80 ft, hover, and take a few stills of a property for sale without getting the authorization that may take months if the flight is within 5 miles of a controlled airport (which covers most larger urban areas.)

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2017 07:17 |  #161

When it comes to regulation, common sense isn't common :(

MRphotoIRE
299 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2015

Mar 24, 2017 15:46 |  #162

Tonights sunset, Was a rush job to try get up for this.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"There are no rules for good Photographs, there are only good photographs" Ansel Adams

MRphotoIRE
299 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by MRphotoIRE.

Mar 28, 2017 05:19 |  #163

surfers in Portstewart, Ireland.

https://vimeo.com/2103​94305 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"There are no rules for good Photographs, there are only good photographs" Ansel Adams

KeithS
267 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 01, 2017 15:50 |  #164

Regarding airports....I read that you have to notify, but I did not see that permission was required. Or, did I miss something?

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2017 12:10 |  #165

KeithS wrote in post #18316827 (external link)
Regarding airports....I read that you have to notify, but I did not see that permission was required. Or, did I miss something?

From the FAA site:

6. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

7. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Full page link: https://www.faa.gov/ua​s/faqs/ (external link)

sponsored links

55,731 views & 273 likes for this thread
Drone Photography Forum
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.