Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Apr 2016 (Friday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Camera Softbox Speedlight and underexposed pictures

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 02, 2016 09:52 |  #16

werds wrote in post #17992868 (external link)
OK, although probably not a question for this thread - it still feels as if it pertains to this thread. I assume a handheld lightmeter would help? I mean from what I understand, I would hold the meter where the subject would be and it reads out the several combinations of required shutter/ f.stop/iso to get a proper exposure right?

How does that work in terms of it assuming the amount of light that will be provided by the lighting setup?

You need a lightmeter designed for flash.
And as I said earlier - shutter speed shouldn't be considered a variable when shooting flash. You should stick to the x sync speed, there are exceptions to this, but it'll not help you to learn about them before you've got your head round the necessary knowledge.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
werds
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2016 10:09 as a reply to  @ Phil V's post |  #17

Awesome, thanks!

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

werds
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2016 10:35 |  #18

Phil V wrote in post #17992921 (external link)
You should stick to the x sync speed, there are exceptions to this, but it'll not help you to learn about them before you've got your head round the necessary knowledge.

Ok so to get it straight my D750 has a max sync of 1/200 and my D7200 has a max sync of 1/250. So do not go above those and use multiples below that correct? At least until I grasp the whole setup better.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2016 11:20 |  #19

Bassat wrote in post #17992857 (external link)
Which is part of the reason I always deploy my diffuser panel when using umbrellas.

lest we cause others to completely misunderstand the purpose of that panel, it's better to refer to it by Canon's name "wide panel"...which is what it does, it does not 'diffuse'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2016 11:22 |  #20

Phil V wrote in post #17992916 (external link)
But he's using a 47" Octa with the flash mounted at the back ;)

yeah, and so he needs to position his flash at 47" from the Octa, with the flash head set at 24mm coverage angle, or not make full use of its size

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

May 02, 2016 11:25 |  #21

werds wrote in post #17992868 (external link)
OK, although probably not a question for this thread - it still feels as if it pertains to this thread. I assume a handheld lightmeter would help? I mean from what I understand, I would hold the meter where the subject would be and it reads out the several combinations of required shutter/ f.stop/iso to get a proper exposure right?

How does that work in terms of it assuming the amount of light that will be provided by the lighting setup?

Wanna ask your question, phrased a bit differently?

You set a lightmeter at flash mode ('corded' or 'cordless'), hold its hemishere at the subject and point it at the lens, fire the flash and look at the reading (for the preselected ISO and f/stop).

Shutter speed does not matter for flash exposure (as long as you do not exceed X-sync speed), but shutter speed DOES affect any recording of ambient light...pick a slow shutter speed and flash illumination is unchanged but dim room light records -- and if your subject moves it is recorded as subject motion BLUR, in addition to a sharp exposure from the very brief flash illumination.

werds
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2016 11:36 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #22

Well you nailed it! I have no idea how a light meter works so I was assuming that I either had to punch in values for the lighting or figure out how to hold the light meter in the spot I need while triggering the strobes to get the incident reading. I just didn't understand how it worked since I don't have my hand on a light meter nor ever used one before :)

So I think for now I will hold off on that purchase although I see how it might be helpful to speed up the process in the future... but I agree I need to grasp basics first!

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 02, 2016 14:45 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #17993032 (external link)
yeah, and so he needs to position his flash at 47" from the Octa, with the flash head set at 24mm coverage angle, or not make full use of its size

But his flash is attached to an s type bracket mounted on the rear of the Octa. He hasn't a method for attaching it facing into the 'umbrella' 47" away.

Gear List

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2016 15:45 |  #24

Phil V wrote in post #17993256 (external link)
But his flash is attached to an s type bracket mounted on the rear of the Octa. He hasn't a method for attaching it facing into the 'umbrella' 47" away.

And so he does not get to make full use of his 47" modifier. :rolleyes:

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2016 16:11 as a reply to  @ werds's post |  #25

photovision target card (external link)

This will allow you to set the exposure pretty darn close, and also the WB (sometimes, strobes, and their modifiers will have color temp other than the standard 5500K) You can buy it from adorama/b&h/amazon or ebay.

There are, of course, many ways to skin a cat, but the above comes with an instructional video, and lays it out step by step, and should be useful in getting you where you want to go, without spending a ton of money.

I've never had a lightmeter in my life, unless you count the one in the camera. Yes, I chimp, but it is pretty fast, and I've got to the point I know where to start.. nothing beats practice practice practice.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 03, 2016 03:38 |  #26

Wilt wrote in post #17993322 (external link)
And so he does not get to make full use of his 47" modifier. :rolleyes:

Which is what I said originally ;)

Gear List

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

May 03, 2016 09:08 |  #27

Phil V wrote in post #17994055 (external link)
Which is what I said originally ;)

Via your replies in your posts (20, 23, 26)you seem to think I was disagreeing with what you had said in post via my Post 13, and that you have been 'countering' my posts.
In post 13, I was agreeing and AMPLIFYING to the OP what you said earlier, in providing information about the coverage angle and placement necessary to fill any umbrella, "distance = diameter"

OTOH, although I did not disagree with your statement in post 6 (although incorrect), "Again the inverse square law kicks in for size - the further away the light the smaller it's apparent size."
The fact is that Inverse Square law does NOT APPLY for a 'large source' (like an umbrella) when it is used at less than 3x its largest dimension, the falloff of light intensity for large sources at short distances is close to 'Inverse linear'.

sponsored links

4,748 views & 10 likes for this thread
Off Camera Softbox Speedlight and underexposed pictures
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.