Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2016 (Thursday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery Grips - Do you think they're helpful? (ergo)

icor1031
764 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by icor1031.

May 19, 2016 21:18 |  #1

I'm not sure I like my BG-E13. I have large hands (i.e., I carry a double stack 9mm and still get the large grip insert because it's too small.), but this grip is too big and the aperture wheel is hard to access. The grip doesn't add one, and I have to stretch to reach the original.

The shape is not at all ergonomic, and it adds 3/4lb to my camera's weight.

What do you think of the grips?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

May 19, 2016 21:20 |  #2

Heya,

Pretty much every thread like this basically goes two ways: 1) people who use grips & 2) people who don't use grips.

Both groups will have their reasons that they personally feel is the reason for or against the use of a grip.

It's a personal thing. You either like it, or you don't. It either adds something significant to your situation, or it doesn't.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
764 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 19, 2016 21:22 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18012621 (external link)
Heya,

Pretty much every thread like this basically goes two ways: 1) people who use grips & 2) people who don't use grips.

Both groups will have their reasons that they personally feel is the reason for or against the use of a grip.

It's a personal thing. You either like it, or you don't. It either adds something significant to your situation, or it doesn't.

Very best,

Perhaps someone will have a technical answer, one that addresses which is healthier; taking weight and positioning into account.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 19, 2016 21:24 |  #4

50 different people will give you 50 different answers to this.

I don't particularly have large hands, but the camera with grip is much more comfortable to hold and lets me support it with both hands while simultaneously using one to manipulate the lens zoom. I've tried all my cameras w/o the grip and they just don't have the right spacing of the controls for my taste. But then, I always felt my Minolta XE-7 was too small for comfort as well, and the X- and XX-series Canons dwarf it.

The extra battery power is the icing on the cake.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

NemethR
847 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 20, 2016 06:23 |  #5

icor1031 wrote in post #18012617 (external link)
I'm not sure I like my BG-E13. I have large hands (i.e., I carry a double stack 9mm and still get the large grip insert because it's too small.), but this grip is too big and the aperture wheel is hard to access. The grip doesn't add one, and I have to stretch to reach the original.

The shape is not at all ergonomic, and it adds 3/4lb to my camera's weight.

What do you think of the grips?

For me it was very simple.
A Grip adds:
- Vertical controls, that I would very much miss, since I am used to them.
- Additional Power sources, and the ability, to use the camera with batteries.
- A bit of weight.

* As for the Vertical controls:
Once you start using them (and shoot portraits), it is easy to get used to it, and like it.

* The additional power source can be very important in 2 cases:
a.) Where you have a longer shoot, and don't want check your battery life all the time/don't have time to switch them.
b.) In case you travel to somewhere where is not Electricity, you can buy a bunch of AA batteries cheap, and just go shooting a week.
Of course you can also buy LP-E6, or BP-511 accus, or what ever, but they are much-much more expensive.

* The weight: Well you can always take it off, if you don't need it.

My point is, it is far more useful, then it is cumbersome to carry it, and if you want to travel light, just remove it :)

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,907 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 20, 2016 07:59 |  #6

I have gripped every Canon body I've ever owned. I use them intermittently (grip, not camera!). I find them oddly shaped and barely ergonomic. I have sold the grip for my 6D. I tried the 5D3, and don't like it because it is too big. I love my 1DIII, and am currently looking for a 1DIV. Size matters, but it is not the only consideration.

Tom

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,731 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2016 09:33 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18012978 (external link)
I have gripped every Canon body I've ever owned. I use them intermittently (grip, not camera!). I find them oddly shaped and barely ergonomic. I have sold the grip for my 6D. I tried the 5D3, and don't like it because it is too big. I love my 1DIII, and am currently looking for a 1DIV. Size matters, but it is not the only consideration.

It's sort of hard to describe, at least for me.... I have always used grips on my camera bodies. Then I got the 1D IV. It feels "natural", for lack of a better term. The other bodies with the grip try to duplicate the feel of a 1D series camera but don't quite get there.

That said, I still prefer the way my right hand fits the camera with a grip installed. I do use a hand strap and it takes a few minutes to get used to sliding my hand out so I can use the vertical controls on the gripped cameras or the 1D IV, but it's a very minor annoyance.

My wife, on the other hand, hates everything about grips. She is now in possession of my 70D and possession is 9/10ths of the law. Somehow, the change from her SL1 to the 70D was smooth, but the thought of using it with a grip scared her.

I picked up a very gently used 5Dc and got a grip for it. It feels nice.... just not 1D IV nice. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,828 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Chet.

May 20, 2016 09:40 |  #8

I've used grips and also have a 1D series with it built into the body. To tell you the truth I always forget to use the secondary buttons when I use it in a vertical orientation. I do like the grip when rotating, but look spastic holding it and hitting the shutter button it's stock position. From years and years of slr/dslr use without the grip my brain has yet to catch up.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

NemethR
847 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 20, 2016 09:40 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18012978 (external link)

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18013076 (external link)
It's sort of hard to describe, at least for me.... I have always used grips on my camera bodies. Then I got the 1D IV. It feels "natural", for lack of a better term. The other bodies with the grip try to duplicate the feel of a 1D series camera but don't quite get there.

That said, I still prefer the way my right hand fits the camera with a grip installed. I do use a hand strap and it takes a few minutes to get used to sliding my hand out so I can use the vertical controls on the gripped cameras or the 1D IV, but it's a very minor annoyance.

My wife, on the other hand, hates everything about grips. She is now in possession of my 70D and possession is 9/10ths of the law. Somehow, the change from her SL1 to the 70D was smooth, but the thought of using it with a grip scared her.

I picked up a very gently used 5Dc and got a grip for it. It feels nice.... just not 1D IV nice. ;)

[Hmm...

Interesting, I always thought we use a grip because it and to functionality, etc, and not because it is highly comfortable.
Also keep in mind, the Grip is something that you screw onto a camera, and not something it is built into it.
So for that, it is actually quite well done.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G

Vladimer
634 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 20, 2016 09:42 |  #10

When I started off with the first rebel I ended up getting a battery grip and loved it. It evened out the weight of the lens and was a lot more comfortable to hold onto the body.

With the 7D I didn't really feel a need for it for the most part since I normally use wide angle lenses. With the recent addition of the 70-200 f/4 IS I get the return feeling a battery grip would help balance it out when hand holding due to the extra weight and length of that lens.

The extra battery juice is nice but I typically have 4 batteries with me and never really found it a hassle to swap them out after a couple days.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,731 posts
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2016 10:17 |  #11

Vladimer wrote in post #18013085 (external link)
When I started off with the first rebel I ended up getting a battery grip and loved it. It evened out the weight of the lens and was a lot more comfortable to hold onto the body.

With the 7D I didn't really feel a need for it for the most part since I normally use wide angle lenses. With the recent addition of the 70-200 f/4 IS I get the return feeling a battery grip would help balance it out when hand holding due to the extra weight and length of that lens.

The extra battery juice is nice but I typically have 4 batteries with me and never really found it a hassle to swap them out after a couple days.

I carry extra batteries in my bag as well. Truth be told, none of my bodes require a battery change in the field if I start out with a fully charged battery (or two in the case of a grip). I see it as a side benefit.... one less thing to think about.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Nick5
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 20, 2016 10:49 |  #12

NemethR wrote in post #18012914 (external link)
For me it was very simple.
A Grip adds:
- Vertical controls, that I would very much miss, since I am used to them.
- Additional Power sources, and the ability, to use the camera with batteries.
- A bit of weight.

* As for the Vertical controls:
Once you start using them (and shoot portraits), it is easy to get used to it, and like it.

* The additional power source can be very important in 2 cases:
a.) Where you have a longer shoot, and don't want check your battery life all the time/don't have time to switch them.
b.) In case you travel to somewhere where is not Electricity, you can buy a bunch of AA batteries cheap, and just go shooting a week.
Of course you can also buy LP-E6, or BP-511 accus, or what ever, but they are much-much more expensive.

* The weight: Well you can always take it off, if you don't need it.

My point is, it is far more useful, then it is cumbersome to carry it, and if you want to travel light, just remove it :)

Well said Nemeth.
I also have my bodies gripped for another reason. The body only actually rest in a position in my palm that causes pain and discomfort in my right hand. The Gripped Body eliminates that completely.
Also shooting in portrait mode allows your right hand to stay in the same position as compared to shooting in Portrait mode with right hand above left eye and shoulder lifted. More ergonomic.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
764 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 20, 2016 11:44 |  #13

I think I'm going to return it get a neewer grip.
They're lighter and $140 cheaper, and I'm so unhappy with the terrible ergonomics (huge grip area, rectangular, hard to reach controls) that it seems like robbery to pay so much for this.

The reason I went with the canon grip is to not worry about it breaking and falling off my cotton carrier, but the grip is basically impossible to use with the attachment for the carrier, I can't get my hand around it.
So, a cheaper, less strong, and lighter version - I think will serve me well. (esp. lighter.)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,731 posts
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2016 11:51 |  #14

icor1031 wrote in post #18013221 (external link)
I think I'm going to return it get a neewer grip.
They're lighter and $140 cheaper, and I'm so unhappy with the terrible ergonomics (huge grip area, rectangular, hard to reach controls) that it seems like robbery to pay so much for this.

The reason I went with the canon grip is to not worry about it breaking and falling off my cotton carrier, but the grip is basically impossible to use with the attachment for the carrier, I can't get my hand around it.
So, a cheaper, less strong, and lighter version - I think will serve me well. (esp. lighter.)

One possible consideration: I just got a 5Dc and it came with a third party grip. No problem with the grip working, however, it wasn't shaped right for an RRS L bracket. I got a Canon grip and it fits perfectly. You might not be using an L bracket so this might well be moot.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
764 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 20, 2016 11:52 |  #15

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18013224 (external link)
One possible consideration: I just got a 5Dc and it came with a third party grip. No problem with the grip working, however, it wasn't shaped right for an RRS L bracket. I got a Canon grip and it fits perfectly. You might not be using an L bracket so this might well be moot.

I use a bracket, but not a grip at the same time.
And I have two bodies. :)

Thanks!

sponsored links

11,345 views & 8 likes for this thread
Battery Grips - Do you think they're helpful? (ergo)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.