Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 May 2016 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motorsport photos here, comment please :)

skopusnik
35 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 24, 2016 16:38 |  #1

Hi guys,

some of my latest galleries from MX and Rally in Slovenia and Croatia.

CC welcome! :)

IMAGE: http://www.mihafabijan.si/wp-content/uploads/MFP_1950.jpg
http://www.mihafabijan​.si …io/rebenland-rallye-2016/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.mihafabijan.si/wp-content/uploads/MFP_0210.jpg
http://www.mihafabijan​.si/portfolio/mx-brezice-dp/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.mihafabijan.si/wp-content/uploads/MFP_8155.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.mihafabijan.si/wp-content/uploads/MFP_7555.jpg
http://www.mihafabijan​.si …fuchs-rally-velenje-2016/ (external link)

Thanks!
Miha

www.mihafabijan.si (external link)
Skopusnik on 500px (external link)
Skopusnik's Flickr page (external link)

sponsored links
d4z0mg
60 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 31, 2016 02:07 |  #2

I'm surprised there's been no comments yet. I know nothing about motorsport photography but I really like these particularly the third one

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 31, 2016 07:55 |  #3

They look pretty good to me. Maybe a slower shutter speed to show some motion in the wheels would be good for you to try,

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 31, 2016 11:25 |  #4

Nice shots. Agree with photos guy about shutter speed. Some motion blur is a good thing for some shots

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,059 posts
Gallery: 549 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2016 05:17 |  #5

I would also say that you might want to think a little more about shutter speeds. Generally I would like to either see a slower speed used so that there is some blur in the wheels, and maybe even some background blur as you pan. if though there is a large amount of dirt being thrown up behind the car/bike and it is possible to bring that all in tight then a very fast shutter speed to totally freeze the motion really works well.

I would say that in none of your shots did you really have a big enough spray of dirt to make that second option really work, so I would be looking for a slower shutter speed in all of these shots. It would be really nice if the EXIF data were included in the images, so that we could actually see where you were with your settings.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 24, 2016 12:26 |  #6

These are sharp and well composed but as previous posters have said, there is no impression of speed. Of the four, #1 and #4 are better with the dirt being kicked up, but honestly, #2 and #3 could have been shots of stationary objects.
If you can master the technique of blurring the background while keeping the vehicle sharp, you will get a better photo. Mind you, I still have not mastered this and I discard more photos than I keep, but when you get the one, you will know it ... and it is well worth it.

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

medd63
447 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 01, 2016 14:38 |  #7

Here is my take on a blur edit for #1:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 01, 2016 15:41 |  #8

Here is my take on a blur edit for #1:

Aah...ya kinda forgot to blur the dirt/dust.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

medd63
447 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 01, 2016 16:51 |  #9

I forgot to do a lot of stuff I usually do. It was just a quick edit at work. ߘ

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2016 10:24 |  #10

base_nine wrote in post #18048902 (external link)
These are sharp and well composed but as previous posters have said, there is no impression of speed. Of the four, #1 and #4 are better with the dirt being kicked up, but honestly, #2 and #3 could have been shots of stationary objects.

Because motorcycles generally just sit there sideways on a hill with the rider's boot picked up? If you can't tell that #2 is obviously moving at a decent pace then you must be looking at a completely different photo than I am. Ii think the only way it could have been better (#2) is if there was dirt being kicked up behind.

Likewise on #3, the front suspension is loaded up and the car is nosing around the corner with dirt coming off that tire. You can clearly tell that it is cornering and not just sitting there.

As far as 1 and 4, there is a huge impression of speed, both with the amount of dirt being kicked up, and also with the loaded up suspension on the vehicle.

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
5,434 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by TustinMike.

Jul 07, 2016 10:37 |  #11

Since the OP asked for CC, I agree with some of the others, shutter speed could be decreased in future shoots, to show more motion blur. Otherwise the shots seem to have been well-exposed, and overall the shots are not bad, not spectacular - which is fine :-). Keep shooting, take lots of shots, and be selective to narrow things down to only your best shots - I find this winnowing process to be the hardest part, oft-times. It's hard to be your own editor.

I think the last photo is my fave among the bunch.

I'm mainly here for the snacks

sponsored links

2,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motorsport photos here, comment please :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.