Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 03 Jun 2016 (Friday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next

Basic poses and settings

Alwayslearning
58 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2016 10:42 |  #1

This is a newbie question from someone who's more used to taking landscape and sports action pictures. My girlfriend (long term not someone I've just met) has expressed an interest of doing a boudoir/glamour set which did surprise me as it not anything that has ever been discussed. She knows my photography background and so this is new territory for me as well. Given that she is conscious about her figure then I know this is a bold step for her so I want to try and make sure that it goes well to justify her willingness to give it a try.

So we're not in a rush to set it up but I'm looking into getting some things arranged first. My question then is can anyone recommend a link or site or similar when we can look at possible poses. Like I said this isn't my field so I want find those that she will comfortable with and not feel ridiculous doing - especially when we then look at them afterwards.

Is there anywhere people can suggest as a starting place to look and get ideas?

Peter
Canon 7D2 |, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, Canon Speedlite 430EXII

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,652 posts
Gallery: 320 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 03, 2016 10:59 |  #2

I can only say what I do. I google "xxxxxx photography" and look at examples. I find things that are flattering and that I can pull off from a photographic stand point. I basically started off doing landscape photography exclusively. Then I added bird photography to what I do. Now I'm currently adding "people" to what I do. This was not a planned progression on my part. It was simply a progression as I learned more I wanted to do more.

Basically find work that you like and copy it. There is no better teacher than high quality examples of the work of others.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

RandallB
296 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 03, 2016 12:47 |  #3

I've learned a ton from Matt Granger, Lindsay Adler (many posing guides) and Michael Zelbel. Many free resources from them online (via their websites and YT) as well as things you can purchase.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

RandallB
296 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 03, 2016 12:58 |  #4

You can get a sample of her boudoir posing guide here:

http://blog.lindsayadl​erphotography.com/boud​oir-posing-guide (external link)

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2016 13:35 |  #5

You should probably do a day/weekend boudoir seminar and have a bunch of photo enthusiasts involved in the shoot and posing. You'll learn something, she'll get her shots, and you'll all have fun. Where do I sign up?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Gumby1220
297 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 04, 2016 09:05 |  #6

I suggest getting a copy of the book "picture perfect posing" by Roberto Valenzuela. Great book on posing.

6D | T3/1100D | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 50mm f1.8 mkII | EF-S 10-18mm IS STM | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | 600EX-RT | YN-E3-RT | PCB B800 |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Alwayslearning
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 05, 2016 03:13 |  #7

Many thanks for the tips guys and gives me something to go away and research some more. Will certainly be a learning curve for both of us. Much appreciated.

Peter
Canon 7D2 |, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, Canon Speedlite 430EXII

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,826 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 09, 2016 12:26 |  #8

Check out Pinterest. When I'm scheduling a shoot with a new model, I ask her to create a Pinterest board with poses that she likes or wants to recreate. That way I get an idea of what she's thinking and I know what to expect

It's good to have her practice in front of a mirror too. Actually hitting the pose usually is much harder than the model thinks.

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
500px (external link)

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 09, 2016 20:28 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #9

I do very similar although over email usually, it really helps to make sure both model and tog are on the same page prior to the shoot and from there you can work out some variations to try on the day.

I'm not experienced enough to have a set 'routine' of poses or anything.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 06, 2016 00:22 |  #10

Gumby1220 wrote in post #18028828 (external link)
I suggest getting a copy of the book "picture perfect posing" by Roberto Valenzuela. Great book on posing.

Very good indeed. Also I have seen some clips from Peter Hurley that are good. I do not really like his photos per se (not until his retoucher works on them) but his posing tips are good.

4,124 views & 9 likes for this thread
Basic poses and settings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.