Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 05 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 06:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera straps when traveling abroad

Aus.Morgo
559 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 05, 2016 06:34 |  #1

I don't generally use camera straps of any kind on my mirrorless kit, or DSLR's, but with a trip to various parts of Europe coming up I'm rethinking the idea.

I'm not concerned with preventing dropped gear etc but rather theft. The grab and run type where I figure a strap would go a long way in preventing this.

A neck strap though to me screams tourist or just target in general. I figure a decent wrist strap might be the go.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Gear List

sponsored links
eddieb1
794 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 05, 2016 12:08 |  #2

Look into the Spider Camera Holster. I started using one awhile ago, and am very pleased with it. It is very secure. I can't see how anybody can get your camera without taking you with it. Also, it addresses your desire to not use a strap.

sk8n
50 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by sk8n with reason 'Spelling'.

Jun 05, 2016 13:38 |  #3

Peak Design's Capture is another system to look into.

Canon EOS 7D EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Speedlite 430 EX

jlt23
427 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2016 14:41 |  #4

I'm planning on using a luma cinch when I travel abroad.

James

eddieb1
794 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 05, 2016 21:21 as a reply to  @ jlt23's post |  #5

Although the Luma is nice, the OP prefers to not use a strap. That limits his options to belt style carriers.

jlt23
427 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2016 21:32 as a reply to  @ eddieb1's post |  #6

Oops I missed that. Sorry

James

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 06, 2016 02:07 |  #7

Cheers everyone,
The black widow version of the spider holster could be interesting being a smaller setup though I'd like to have an L plate attached.

Gear List

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,780 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 22, 2018 17:57 |  #8

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #18029670 (external link)
A neck strap though to me screams tourist or just target in general...

because ONLY a tourist or someone looking to be victimized, uses a neck strap?

i dont get it...

sorry for the thread resurrection

Aus.Morgo
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 24, 2018 02:41 |  #9

Ltdave wrote in post #18611607 (external link)
because ONLY a tourist or someone looking to be victimized, uses a neck strap?

i dont get it...

sorry for the thread resurrection

Two year old thread revival for something obvious.

No, not ONLY a tourist. I'm sure a thief doesn't care if your a tourist or a pro or whatever if they can steal your gear and I doubt people go out intentionally "looking to be victimized".

Yes neck strap can equal target, to a thief.
A neck strap with the bold CANON or NIKON in big, bright, obvious colours makes it VERY easy for thieves to identify a potential worth while target to rob out of a group of otherwise nondescript people.

Since this thread I've been and come back on that trip and while I had no issues myself, in Barcelona one night a member of the group had someone try and steal his gear by grabbing the strap and trying to make a dash. Fortunately they didn't manage to get it off him.

Gear List

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,989 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 12, 2018 22:00 |  #10

I don't remember the brand but, I have a camera strap that is reinforced with a steel cable. It doesn't weigh much more than a standard strap but would frustrate a slash and run thief. I purchased it from a site that sells travel related gear, not a photo dedicated site.

I usually carry two DSLR cameras one with a telephoto and one with mid range zoom.

he camera with the mid range zoom is worn around my neck and the camera with the telephoto lens is carried in a Tamrac Zoom 90 holster case which is worn "bandolier style" with the strap across my chest and the case under my left arm. The strap for the case is pretty heavy duty. Although it is not steel reinforced, it would be difficult to slash.

I have a hand strap on the camera in the case.

I have carried cameras in many different configurations, this is the safest, easiest to access and the most comfortable system I have used in over 50-years of photography...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by iazybandit.

Jun 13, 2018 10:39 |  #11

RPCrowe wrote in post #18644282 (external link)
I don't remember the brand but, I have a camera strap that is reinforced with a steel cable. It doesn't weigh much more than a standard strap but would frustrate a slash and run thief. I purchased it from a site that sells travel related gear, not a photo dedicated site.

I usually carry two DSLR cameras one with a telephoto and one with mid range zoom.

he camera with the mid range zoom is worn around my neck and the camera with the telephoto lens is carried in a Tamrac Zoom 90 holster case which is worn "bandolier style" with the strap across my chest and the case under my left arm. The strap for the case is pretty heavy duty. Although it is not steel reinforced, it would be difficult to slash.

I have a hand strap on the camera in the case.

I have carried cameras in many different configurations, this is the safest, easiest to access and the most comfortable system I have used in over 50-years of photography...

Sun-Sniper is the Black Rapid-esque type strap that has a steel cable in it - https://www.sun-sniper.com/en/ (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,004 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 13, 2018 11:33 |  #12

If I want to prevent theft while traveling abroad and...

* don't care to use a neck strap
* it's a DSLR I'm carrying
* and lots of walking is involved

then I'd seriously consider the Cotton Carrier Vest with a very light and breathable photographer's vest designed for warm seasons. The benefits are:

* it's right in front of you, which by in itself not an easy target, and no one can get it off without making a specific turn from the right angle
* it leaves you hands free
* great when long walking is involved because of perfect balance it provides, saving you from neck or shoulder aches

I have a Herringbone handstrap always on my camera, and it complements the CC Vest very nicely. I also have the SpiderPro Holster, but I use it primarily for my studio work or where short walk is involved or event shootings. I wouldn't use it where a long walk or all day shooting is involved due to weight imbalance.

If I'm carrying just a mirrorless camera or something as light as that, an option is to go with the Peak Design CapturePro and carry it on a backpack strap. Unless someone steals the backpack itself, no one can yank it off.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 13, 2018 13:21 |  #13
bannedBack in 3 months

I just use a wrist strap and carry my camera in my hand.

I’ve travelled quite extensively and the only snatch and run I witnessed was in Portland Oregon where the thief grabbed a lady’s purse, knocked the lady down and ran off with the purse.

The only place I ran into trouble was in Atlanta where I had to buy ( beer and smokes ) my way out of a gang of hoodlums at a convenience store. This was 2 blocks from the downtown Westin.

Something to think about. We always fear the unknown ( travel in Europe or Asia ) yet many of these places are safer than our home towns.

Buy insurance and enjoy.

ChrisS76a
39 posts
Joined May 2018

Jun 14, 2018 10:40 as a reply to  @ iazybandit's post |  #14

Is this available in North America?

sponsored links

2,739 views & 1 like for this thread
Camera straps when traveling abroad
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.