Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Jun 2016 (Saturday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm a turtle crossing guard..

woodpecker
229 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 11, 2016 20:06 |  #1

While driving along a country road I spied a "bump" in the road ahead. I slowed down and sure enough, the "bump" was moving, albeit rather slowly.
I jumped out of the car with camera in hand and snapped this picture, his/her shell was the size of a dinner plate.

I put my camera down and stayed with this big fella until he made his way across the street and back into the swamp.
I waved off a few cars during his trek across the road and felt good when he slipped into the swamp.

I am a turtle crossing guard.

Gord

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …os/000444_zpshm​ddaudm.jpg (external link)

I know I'm a novice but I work hard at what I like....... and I like photography.
Canon EOS 550D / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f/1.8 II / EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS 80D / EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 11, 2016 20:29 |  #2

Good for you!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,324 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2016 20:45 |  #3

Damned good turtle soup there.

Just sayin'.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,294 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 11, 2016 21:22 |  #4

That's a snapping turtle. So it might have been best to keep your distance. Their necks can be elongated and it might have been able to reach around to bite you if you helped it along. I see box turtles trying to cross the road from time to time in my neighborhood. It's considered appropriate by wildlife rescuers to pick it up and put it where it seems to want to go if the alternative is being crushed by an inattentive driver. I would be very careful with a snapping turtle, however.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 11, 2016 22:59 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Yup, I've read that a snapping turtle is capable of biting a man's finger off.

I hope the OP stopped way off the road; sometimes saving wildlife ends others' lives: http://www.ctvnews.ca …ays-behind-bars-1.2153205 (external link)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 11, 2016 23:51 |  #6

Good work, glad you didn't get bit.

Mark

woodpecker
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 12, 2016 05:24 |  #7

I've seen enough snapping turtles to know to keep my distance.
My safety was my number one priority and I took steps to ensure that but I felt compelled to do all I could to help this guy out.
Thankfully the road I was on is travelled by a few locals, farmers mostly and when they were close enough to see what was happening, they gave the turtle and I a thumbs up.

Gord

I know I'm a novice but I work hard at what I like....... and I like photography.
Canon EOS 550D / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f/1.8 II / EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

davholla
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 14, 2016 04:53 as a reply to  @ woodpecker's post |  #8

Good photo even better story.

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,503 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 14, 2016 07:51 |  #9

Good shooting and good save Gord! When I used to live in Aurora I'd spend weekends up near Dwight and would often see several huge snappers over a weekend. Even saw one depositing eggs in a sandy riverbank once.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

woodpecker
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 15, 2016 07:02 |  #10

Wallace River wrote in post #18038945 (external link)
Good shooting and good save Gord! When I used to live in Aurora I'd spend weekends up near Dwight and would often see several huge snappers over a weekend. Even saw one depositing eggs in a sandy riverbank once.

I don't know how long it's been since you've been in Aurora but there is still a lot of wildlife photo opportunities in these parts.
I just had to stop and make sure this fella got back in the swamp.

Gord

Keith ­ Newton
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2016 09:44 |  #11

That is a real cutie, ha. But I think you got cheated because I don't see any leaches hanging onto it. Are it's legs deformed? I don't see any claws. The last one I saw crossing the road looked like a dinosaur as I approached. When it was up walking, the bottom shell was about 5" off the ground. Just curious if it was down that low the whole time you saw it?

philk54
Goldmember
4,568 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 15, 2016 11:17 |  #12

Great save, Gord. I remember seeing some of these at the sand & gravel operation where I used to work. Some of them were so large, they would actually block the haul road while they crossed from the swamp to our dragline pond.

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

woodpecker
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 15, 2016 13:12 |  #13

Keith Newton wrote in post #18040113 (external link)
That is a real cutie, ha. But I think you got cheated because I don't see any leaches hanging onto it. Are it's legs deformed? I don't see any claws. The last one I saw crossing the road looked like a dinosaur as I approached. When it was up walking, the bottom shell was about 5" off the ground. Just curious if it was down that low the whole time you saw it?

Hi Keith,

No leeches hanging off of this guy, just a bunch of green slime.
His legs weren't deformed and his bottom shell wasn't that far off the ground when he walked, kind of a short guy.
Here are two poorly taken photos I managed to get in my rush to see him cross the road safely. He does have claws or extra long toe nails. :p

Gord

http://img.photobucket​.com …os/000477_zpsdl​xaqxy3.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …os/000476_zpsno​31rmg5.jpg (external link)

woodpecker
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 15, 2016 13:15 |  #14

philk54 wrote in post #18040195 (external link)
Great save, Gord. I remember seeing some of these at the sand & gravel operation where I used to work. Some of them were so large, they would actually block the haul road while they crossed from the swamp to our dragline pond.

Hi Phil,

I would have liked to seen those big guys......must have looked like 4-legged, prehistoric tanks.

Gord

Keith ­ Newton
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2016 19:30 as a reply to  @ woodpecker's post |  #15

Ah Ha, Thanks for sharing those. But, are you sure that little ball looking thing over it's right hip isn't a leach? That is what they do, after the turtle host has been out of the water for a while. I suppose it keeps them from drying out too much.

sponsored links

5,853 views & 6 likes for this thread
I'm a turtle crossing guard..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.