Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i'm sure glad i used protection...,.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,895 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by ed rader. (5 edits in all)

Jun 12, 2016 10:32 |  #1

IMAGE: http://erader.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v29/p2033110904-4.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://erader.zenfolio​.com/img/s11/v29/p2033​110904-4.jpg  (external link) on zenfolio

just got back from a week in british Columbia shooting grizzly bears and killer whales from various boats. hit a deer with the rental the first night but luckily I was able to slow down and the deer survived and we almost hit a surfacing humpback on the second day headed out to glendale cove to shoot grizzlies. a pretty rough environment for photography but much of my stuff is.

I've already replaced the front element on one 24-70L II and I was happy to see the filter protected my newer copy from another $500 repair. now I know the AFJ will have a field day with this one because they hate your filters. i'm so glad that I use protective filters as a default  :p

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,285 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 12, 2016 10:48 |  #2

ed rader wrote in post #18036962 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://erader.zenfolio​.com/img/s11/v29/p2033​110904-4.jpg  (external link) on zenfolio

just got back from a week in british Columbia shooting grizzly bears and killer whales from various boats. hit a deer with the rental the first night but luckily I was able to slow down and the deer survived and we almost hit a surfacing humpback on the second day headed out to glendale cove to shoot grizzlies. a pretty rough environment for photography but much of my stuff is.

I've already replaced the front element on one 24-70L II and I was happy to see the filter protected my newer copy from another $500 repair. now I know the AFJ will have a field day with this one because they hate your filters. i'm so glad that I use protective filters as a default  :p

But you haven't told us what the filter protected the lens from.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat. (2 edits in all)

Jun 12, 2016 10:48 |  #3

Warning: Sarcasm follows: :) :)

Well, since I am the first one here, please allow me to start the (perpetual) feud. The hit did not totally destroy your entire lens, so it was really insignificant, and would not have damaged your bare front element. Real photographers don't use 'protection' filters. A hood would have deflected the projectile, or otherwise safeguarded your lens. The filter only broke because you didn't buy a really good one. How am I doing? Let the silly-ness begin! :) :)

END OF SARCASM

Ed, I'm glad your lens is OK.

EDIT:
OH, NO! I'm too late. It started without me.

eddieb1
787 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 13, 2016 08:58 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18036981 (external link)
Warning: Sarcasm follows: :) :)

Well, since I am the first one here, please allow me to start the (perpetual) feud. The hit did not totally destroy your entire lens, so it was really insignificant, and would not have damaged your bare front element. Real photographers don't use 'protection' filters. A hood would have deflected the projectile, or otherwise safeguarded your lens. The filter only broke because you didn't buy a really good one. How am I doing? Let the silly-ness begin! :) :)

END OF SARCASM

Ed, I'm glad your lens is OK.

EDIT:
OH, NO! I'm too late. It started without me.

Oh,Oh! let me start. I read this one somewhere awhile back. I wouldn't take a chance shooting through a cheap piece of glass when replacing a front element is "only" $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, I better go remove my filters right now. Chump change to replace a front element after all. :p

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 13, 2016 09:11 |  #5

The real question that isn't asked or answered in the thread so far is: What cracked the filter that's shown in the first post?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jlt23
427 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 13, 2016 09:11 |  #6

john crossley wrote in post #18036980 (external link)
But you haven't told us what the filter protected the lens from.

I am also curious at what caused this.

James

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 13, 2016 10:36 |  #7

jlt23 wrote in post #18037839 (external link)
I am also curious at what caused this.

Me, too. But the facts of the case are totally and completely irrelevant. Some will see the damage as proof that filters protect lenses. Some will see it as evidence that the hit would not have damaged the much stronger front element. Add this one to the list of never-ending debate:

filters or not
ff vs crop
death penalty
Cubs vs Sox
Ginger or Mary Ann
abortion

In the end, there are no 'true' answer. Well, except that Mary Ann was just plain HOT!

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,285 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 13, 2016 10:42 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #18037838 (external link)
The real question that isn't asked or answered in the thread so far is: What cracked the filter that's shown in the first post?

Obviously you didn't read post No. 2

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD.

Jun 13, 2016 11:09 |  #9

john crossley wrote in post #18037916 (external link)

:p

OK - the question has not been answered.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,426 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jun 13, 2016 11:31 |  #10

john crossley wrote in post #18037916 (external link)

I don't understand why you think that Skip didn't read post #2.

If someone asks an OP a question, and the OP hasn't answered the question yet, then I would never hesitate to ask it again. There's nothing at all wrong with the same question being asked over and over again. In fact, it might just help to show the OP that more information would have been helpful when starting a post.

I, too, would like to know what caused the filter to crack. So, Ed, how'd it break?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat.

Jun 13, 2016 12:22 |  #11

Personally, I think Ed took the filter off his lens, intentionally smashed it with a hammer, and posted that photo just get this dead horse walking again. :)

Circumstances of the damage are irrelevant. Some people will never use filters for protection. Some people would rather be on the CBS Nightly News naked than go without a filter. (walks off whistling and glancing about furtively...)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,118 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 13, 2016 13:14 |  #12

You guys are not asking the most important question -- why is Ed using a 24-70 f/2.8 to shoot grizzly bears and whales?! ;-)a

This may in fact answer the question of what happened to the filter. Grizzly bears do not believe in protective filters. :lol:

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 13, 2016 13:19 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18038019 (external link)
I don't understand why you think that Skip didn't read post #2.

Skip said it hadn't been "asked or answered" when it was for sure asked already, specifically in post #2, but all agree it hasn't been answered.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,426 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jun 13, 2016 13:24 |  #14

travisvwright wrote in post #18038140 (external link)
Skip said it hadn't been "asked or answered" when it was for sure asked already, specifically in post #2, but all agree it hasn't been answered.

Ahhhhh...I see. So, obviously, I didn't read the 6th word of Skip's post.
Actually, I did read it....I just didn't remember it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

eddieb1
787 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 13, 2016 13:38 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18037911 (external link)
Me, too. But the facts of the case are totally and completely irrelevant. Some will see the damage as proof that filters protect lenses. Some will see it as evidence that the hit would not have damaged the much stronger front element. Add this one to the list of never-ending debate:

filters or not
ff vs crop
death penalty
Cubs vs Sox
Ginger or Mary Ann
abortion

In the end, there are no 'true' answer. Well, except that Mary Ann was just plain HOT!

Or that Ginger hot!!! ߘܰߘ

sponsored links

14,701 views & 38 likes for this thread
i'm sure glad i used protection...,.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.