Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 29 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 00:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting lightning.

hanalwala
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 29, 2016 00:50 |  #1

hi....
I am interested to shoot lighting .

I understand there are two ways:
1. Keep the camera on manual mode and set it at continuous shots at 30 sec so that the camera keeps on shooting non stop. As and when the lighting sticks it will capture.

2. There is a lightning trigger to be attached on the hot shoe of the camera and it will trigger as soon as lightning sticks.

My question is: Which is better way and give 100 % results. If it is better to use a lightning trigger which brand would you recommend. I am told that Stepping stone from Colorado is a good one but it is too expensive ($300+) . Could someone please suggest an alternative brand . Thanks,

Hussain Nalwala

sponsored links
Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 29, 2016 04:22 |  #2

hanalwala wrote in post #18052948 (external link)
hi....
I am interested to shoot lighting .

I understand there are two ways:
1. Keep the camera on manual mode and set it at continuous shots at 30 sec so that the camera keeps on shooting non stop. As and when the lighting sticks it will capture.

2. There is a lightning trigger to be attached on the hot shoe of the camera and it will trigger as soon as lightning sticks.

My question is: Which is better way and give 100 % results. If it is better to use a lightning trigger which brand would you recommend. I am told that Stepping stone from Colorado is a good one but it is too expensive ($300+) . Could someone please suggest an alternative brand . Thanks,

Hussain Nalwala

hi there

I assume you mean strikes, not sticks ;-)a

nothing is 100 % for still images. there's lots of luck involved. Pointing in the right direction being the top of the list (well that applies for doing video as well)

I have a lightning trigger. They are all much of a much. Only really works well with the really bright and reasonably close strikes.
This is mainly because the more distant ones are fainter and the detector has difficulty detecting the difference between the daytime light and the lightning flashes
I have dabbled with ND8 filters to be able to do slightly longer exposures during the daytime ... mediocre success

because of those things daytime captures is difficult ( but not impossible)
I normally use video for the daytime stuff and pull out the individual frames

for nitetime imaging I will do 20sec exposures or till I capture a strike, which ever occurs first and then do the next exposure
it has produced some awesome results

hope that helps a little :-)

cheers
Dave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

stevieray
152 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2016 07:58 |  #3

I use the first method, its cheap, and works reasonably well. I used 20 second exposures at nightfall for this.
Best,
Steve

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5793/22753957182_3729f35534_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AEFY​JA  (external link) IMG_2353 (external link) by Steve Christle (external link), on Flickr

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by mtbdudex. (2 edits in all)

Jun 29, 2016 11:20 |  #4

I had a budget trigger from Amazon, ended up returning it just not reliable.

i've had success on the continuous method and also the remote method, both on fixed tripod.

from our summer 3 week out west 2014 camping trip, this is Custer State Park campground (external link) , around 1am

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

pdxbenedetti
312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2015

Jun 29, 2016 13:06 |  #5

Agreed with others, just do constant exposures, reliability from a trigger is not very good IMO. Plus with constant exposures you can do a timelapse and/or stacking to make really awesome shots. I generally do 20-30 second exposures at a lower ISO and stop down multiple stops. Here's a few I captured last summer:

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5745/20628784812_032b259e8a_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/735/20628777442_e165e72960_b.jpg

Had a good storm come through my neighborhood, neighbors trees got struck, lasted about an hour so I sat on my front porch and watched the show.

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/4/3869/18823895506_ba3f657d7f_b.jpg

flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2016 13:56 |  #6

First method is the cheapest and easiest but limits you to night time lightning. As to triggers, this pretty simple technology. A hobbyist can easily assemble a trigger from Radio Shack parts for about $15 or just go to Amazon and search lightning triggers. Several in the $60~$80 range. Below is a shot using method #1

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2811/9074248669_280f0ff19d_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

andicus
307 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 29, 2016 14:18 |  #7

Wow! Great shots, all!

I use the same method (~20 second exposure) but don't have anything nearly as impressive to post.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 29, 2016 14:51 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I use the first method as well. Yet, I find lightning for the sake of lightning doesn't quite cut it. I begin by choosing a nice scene and compose carefully, then I keep operating the camera until the storm has passed by.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 29, 2016 23:25 |  #9

I use the first method for night time lightning. I like to use a remote trigger in bulb mode. That way, if a lightning bolt is particularly bright, you can cut the exposure short.

Since everyone else is sharing, here's my favorite shot:

Mississippi River Bridge, Vicksburg MS, June 6, 2013

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Storms/i-9MwKP5q/0/XL/Lightning06062013%20030-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …013%20030-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

and my most recent, Old Faithful, Yellowstone National Park, June 7, 2016

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Storms/i-5KCw3hP/0/XL/ys21-590-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/ys21-590-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 01, 2016 12:39 |  #10

I use the multiple exposure method. I set the exposure to 10 - 20 seconds (depending on the light), put the camera in burst mode, point it at the storm, then lock my remote shutter release. The camera will click away and capture all lightning flashes. After I'm done, I sort through the exposures and delete all those that don't have lightning.

Below are two shots taken from the the same multiple exposure effort:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dean5
245 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2015

Jul 07, 2016 20:37 |  #11

I use method 1 at night. The hardest part is making sure your glass is pointed in the direction of the lightning.

I did just recently purchase a trigger and have not had a chance to use it. Wanted it mostly for daytime lightning.

Here are a couple pictures captured with method 1.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

A pilot with a Camera.
-----------
Gripped Canon 5DMKIII/Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II/Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III/Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II/Canon EF 50mm f/1.4/Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 07, 2016 22:00 as a reply to  @ Dean5's post |  #12

Great captures , well done !

mattmiller03
77 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2016

Jul 08, 2016 11:22 as a reply to  @ Dean5's post |  #13

really like this shot. so my question to you is:

by using a long exposure you are able to hopefully capture multiple lightening strikes over the 20-30s exposure correct? Sorry I know it isnt the best question because i am pretty new at photography and I am just learning here.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2016 12:39 |  #14

mattmiller03 wrote in post #18061307 (external link)
really like this shot. so my question to you is:

by using a long exposure you are able to hopefully capture multiple lightening strikes over the 20-30s exposure correct? Sorry I know it isnt the best question because i am pretty new at photography and I am just learning here.

THat's going to depend on the storm. When I lived in Illinois we had a lot of t-storms but so much of the lightning was buried in the clouds that I was lucky to get one visible. Here in Texas it is very different. It's not unusual for there to be multiple strikes in a matter of seconds so 30 seconds tends to be a bit long. 10 seconds can get you 3~5 strikes.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mattmiller03
77 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2016

Jul 08, 2016 12:46 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #15

yeah the 3-5 strikes on the one photo exposure. ok i know i might seem slightly dumb this but just making sure i am understanding the information

sponsored links

13,577 views & 42 likes for this thread
Shooting lightning.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.