Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Jun 2016 (Thursday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LP-E6 Battery Question

Bogino
464 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 30, 2016 17:17 |  #1

I'm looking to pick up 2 extra batteries for my 7D Mark II. The Canon brand one runs about $69.00 while non-Canon brand seem to run closer to $19.00. That seems like a very big spread in price and I can't figure out whether the Canon brand is simply way overly priced or are the non-Canon ones so unreliable that's why they're so cheap. Any comments?

Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
wunhang
720 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 30, 2016 17:45 |  #2

It actually runs the spectrum of what you suspect.

1)Yes, there is a mark-up on the OEM branded batteries, but that doesn't account for the full spread.

2) There are super-cheap LP-E6 knock-offs that have substandard cells and circuitry. That skimping means you can have varying battery lifespan, capacity/duration, and/or construction variation. Cheap batteries with lousy QC to such an extent that they may not even fit the camera properly (battery bulge) or cause leakage/corrosion during usage have been showcased on the web. Lower grade circuitry would mean that you get a battery that may not fully report properly to the camera which ties more into an issue of knowing how much life is left in the battery - some cameras track individual battery usage and can give a lifespan left estimate.

3) There are quality third party LP-E6 makers out there with good to decent reputations on reproducing near OEM quality. They're obviously not the cheapest of the bunch though.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,813 posts
Gallery: 1230 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 30, 2016 17:46 |  #3

Bogino wrote in post #18054546 (external link)
I'm looking to pick up 2 extra batteries for my 7D Mark II. The Canon brand one runs about $69.00 while non-Canon brand seem to run closer to $19.00. That seems like a very big spread in price and I can't figure out whether the Canon brand is simply way overly priced or are the non-Canon ones so unreliable that's why they're so cheap. Any comments?

Thank You.

Brand pricing. They're not better than good 3rd party.

Wasabi is excellent and way less costly.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 30, 2016 18:04 as a reply to  @ wunhang's post |  #4

Any recommendations on quality 3rd party brands?

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 30, 2016 18:13 |  #5

Wasabi as mentioned above, and SterlingTek (STK) are highly recommended. I use STK when I go aftermarket, and have been well pleased.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 30, 2016 19:15 |  #6

I've been using 2 Wasabi LP-E6 batteries in 60D/70D/6D for over 2 years (20k-25k shots). Never a hiccup.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 30, 2016 19:22 |  #7

I have 4 STK batteries, 1 Wasabi, and 1 Canon. I've noticed absolutely no difference over 2+yrs of use.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 30, 2016 19:27 |  #8

mannetti21 wrote in post #18054637 (external link)
I have 4 STK batteries, 1 Wasabi, and 1 Canon. I've noticed absolutely no difference over 2+yrs of use.

Just caught your signature. My wife can't tell the difference between a 6D/12mm FE setup and a 1DIV/200L II. "They're all big and black!" Perhaps since she knows I have a 100-400L, she'd never notice a 500/4? Whaddyathink?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,181 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 30, 2016 19:36 |  #9

I do suggest you order from a source that moves the product so you are getting fresh stock and most current chips so the batteries are properly recognized by the camera. SterlingTek sells direct; use the link http://sterlingtek.try​nt.com/canon-lp-e6-battery/ (external link). You can purchase a single battery should you desire for about $14. I have used one for about 3 years in my 60D and it is trouble free.

The other popular brand is Wasabi and it used to be you could buy direct from them. Now if you go to the importers website and select Wasabi you get redirected to Amazon, specifically a 2-pack and charger for $30; go to https://www.amazon.com …891&sr=8-1&keywords=lp-e6 (external link). Bundling (two batteries with charger) is typical of Wasabi.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21.

Jun 30, 2016 21:28 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18054646 (external link)
Just caught your signature. My wife can't tell the difference between a 6D/12mm FE setup and a 1DIV/200L II. "They're all big and black!" Perhaps since she knows I have a 100-400L, she'd never notice a 500/4? Whaddyathink?

I'm thinking of getting the 100-400mm...I'm debating on whether she would realize the barrel extends as opposed to the fixed 70-200. I have a sneaky suspicion she's going to raise the red flag :-P Otherwise, I believe white lenses all look the same to her.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

mathogre
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2016 21:53 |  #11

Back to the topic...

Bogino wrote in post #18054546 (external link)

Thank You.

You have a camera body that today retails for $1,600. You have multiple L lenses. You're looking to save $100 on the price of two batteries. Spend $19/battery if you want. It's your choice. A few months ago after three years of ownership, I had a non-Canon battery go bad on my 5DM3. I replaced both it and the original Canon LP-E6 battery with the Canon LP-E6N at $65 each. I will probably replace the 5DM3 before these batteries go bad.

Yes you can save a few dollars on an inexpensive non-Canon battery. I take the alternative approach. To me the Canon battery is insurance. I don't have to worry about the Canon battery doing something bad to my camera.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2016 22:32 |  #12

I have about 10 lp-e6. Four of those are geniune Canon that currently have 1 bar and last around 500-600 shots. A couple started having issues with the charger that I have to remove and reinsert into the charger to have it charge properly.

I have about 6 aftermarket branded and unbranded batteries. Some are decoded and work fine in the 5d3 without the warning. Some older have warning and these last about the same as the Canon ones. They all work fine in the Canon grip.
I got those aftermarket for around $6-10 each and don't have any issues with any of them.

Take your pick.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

marchboom
52 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 09, 2016 13:12 |  #13

I have 4 STK batteries for my 7D2 and they work fine. They report info to the camera and take a charge just like the Canon battery. In the big picture batteries are a very minor part (cost wise) of the entire photography package. Buy what makes you feel good. If having the Canon battery gives you more piece of mind for whatever reason, then by all means get the Canon.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 28, 2016 09:32 |  #14

I have used both STK and Wasabi batteries for many years starting with my old Rebels and continuing through the newer 5, 6, and 7-series; currently I have about a dozen LP-E6 equivalents in regular rotation. Except for my more battery-hungry 7D2, I can typically leave a battery in the camera for weeks between shoots and still get hundreds of shots from it. On a recent tournament shoot, my 6D batteries lasted all week without swapping them out, and the 5D3 batteries easily gave me enough power to capture over 1000 pictures per day with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

Not only have I taken tens of thousands of shots with 3rd party LP-E6 type batteries since about 2012, they are all still showing 100% recharge performance on the internal display. The only battery which has yet started to degrade has been a Canon OEM battery, with only a handful of recharge cycles on it. I generally try to leave at least 20-40% charge on a battery when swapping it out, and top them off right before the next time I plan to use them; along with keeping them cool, this is supposed to lengthen the life of these rechargeables.

A real concern, however, is that due to the huge profit margin, people are counterfeiting Canon batteries and selling them through retailers who don't always know they're fake. From what I've seen, you're more likely to get a poor quality battery in this way than by buying a respected 3rd party unit where quality is consistent. Canon has an educational program on the web to assist consumers in detecting these counterfeits, because they are surprisingly common. Bottom line: get a STK or Wasabi battery, save 70% in cost, and don't sweat it. Of all the things I worry about during a shoot, lighting and camera settings are the only ones which concern me - other than periodically looking at the battery level for confirmation, they've never been a worry.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,800 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by RDKirk.

Jul 28, 2016 09:49 |  #15

GregDunn wrote in post #18080084 (external link)

A real concern, however, is that due to the huge profit margin, people are counterfeiting Canon batteries and selling them through retailers who don't always know they're fake. From what I've seen, you're more likely to get a poor quality battery in this way than by buying a respected 3rd party unit where quality is consistent. Canon has an educational program on the web to assist consumers in detecting these counterfeits, because they are surprisingly common. Bottom line: get a STK or Wasabi battery, save 70% in cost, and don't sweat it. Of all the things I worry about during a shoot, lighting and camera settings are the only ones which concern me - other than periodically looking at the battery level for confirmation, they've never been a worry.

This is actually a significant point. Counterfeit Canon batteries are out there, and they aren't always suspiciously sold at a discount--some Canon counterfeits are sold at full price.

STK began marketing their batteries 'way back in 2006 when the 5D classic came out and Canon batteries were scarce as golden Wonka tickets. STK was known to be the first 3rd party battery that kept up with changing Canon battery programming. Lots of people had no choice but to buy them. I never had an STK battery fail on me since 2006, but I've had a couple of shaky Canon batteries.

sponsored links

6,166 views & 2 likes for this thread
LP-E6 Battery Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.