Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 Jul 2016 (Sunday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RIO 2016

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2016 15:27 |  #1

Anyone here headed to Rio for the Olympics?

JIM

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,089 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 10, 2016 12:08 |  #2

I like my clean water and usable bathroom in my own home. Thanks to all the TV workers for providing me coverage though.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Narwhal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 31, 2016 16:32 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #3

Well, well!

I got back home in Sao Paulo after the Olympics last week but just got around to see your RIDICULOUS post.

Have you been to Rio or another country for that matter.? What make your think the bathrooms are unusable? Do you think that Brazilians pee in outhouses without running water or something?

The bathrooms in all the stadiums and arenas that I went to are better quality and MUCH cleaner than any stadiun or arena that I have been to in the US. Also, even the bathrooms in the Metro system are juts fine compared to NY Subway, Washington Metro and Boston MTA.

As for TV, I am happy that you like one channel, selective NBC dumbed-down coverage.

Here in Brazil there were 16 channel between regular transmission and cable. Virtually, all sports had complete live coverage and world class commentary. See the link below for an excellent article.

http://www.forbes.com …azil-though/#37ba32f01bbc (external link)

So why this rant? Simple! It really irritates me when I see a xenophobic like yours based zero facts.

If interested, you can check out my FB page for more FIRST HAND Olympic info,

I will also begin to post a few of my 8,000 pictures. (all FB pictures are cell phone)

JIM

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by gjl711.

Aug 31, 2016 16:43 |  #4

Narwhal wrote in post #18112841 (external link)
As for TV, I am happy that you like one channel, selective NBC dumbed-down coverage.

Here in Brazil there were 16 channel between regular transmission and cable. Virtually, all sports had complete live coverage and world class commentary. See the link below for an excellent article.

Yea, your gonna get called for the same thing Talley did, make silly assumptions. Actually NBC (external link) was broadcasting in 11 different channels as well as live streaming all events. As the article mentions, at times 40 different streams were available.

But to answer your OP, I would have loved to go but alas, not in my cards. Had to watch it on dumbed down NBC.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,589 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2016 17:11 |  #5

I saw pretty much any event I wanted livesteamed on my computer, so I almost never switched on my TV.

But yeah, I wish I could have gone but I hate crowds. I would love to go to Brazil bit more to visit the Pantanal and stuff.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

bseitz234
556 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 01, 2016 09:21 |  #6

In Talley's defense, I'd hardly call either of those "ridiculous assumptions". More like "what we got to read about in the news for the month leading up to the Olympics". Not saying it had to define the games, but it was absolutely unavoidable for anyone tuned into coverage before the Games started:

http://bigstory.ap.org …ical-outages-teams-arrive (external link)
http://www.nytimes.com …ic-village-australia.html (external link)

http://www.independent​.co.uk …tion-almost-a7165866.html (external link)
http://www.cbsnews.com …irty-water-2016-olympics/ (external link)
http://www.reuters.com …a-exclusive-idUSKCN0YW2E8 (external link)
http://www.scientifica​merican.com …t-can-it-do-to-olympians/ (external link)

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 01, 2016 09:34 |  #7

Weren't most of the facilities built specifically for the Olympics? If so, I would certainly hope they are clean, they are new. I am sure the Olympic facilities will fall into disarray in short order like they have just about everywhere else that the Olympics were held, and in a few months, you won't want to go near those bathrooms.

Talley did say "working bathroom in his home", and nothing about public facilities. Whether that is still an invalid assumption, I cannot address as I don't know much about living quarters in Rio.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

2,877 views & 2 likes for this thread
RIO 2016
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.