Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Jul 2016 (Wednesday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

storage issues for wedding photography

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,845 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 08, 2016 17:30 |  #31

Ltdave wrote in post #18121423 (external link)
not sure what RAID 1 is...

i googled it but it seemed over my head...

really?

seems like you're kinda asking a technical question in the OP? Raid is pretty basic once you get past typical PC level competence. I would definitely recommend something like a couple of HDs to store their data.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,979 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 08, 2016 19:01 |  #32

frugivore wrote in post #18121486 (external link)
Well, is RAID 1 in spirit - copying data to two storage devices simultaneously. There more advanced DSLRs do this. I wouldn't shoot a wedding without such a camera.

I've shot many weddings with single card cameras, but I would be more comfortable with dual slots.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 08, 2016 22:12 |  #33

tim wrote in post #18120363 (external link)
There is a good reason for that... if you shoot high MP cameras it's probably better to keep two cards in the camera and not change them than risk losing cards. You have to be pretty careful with the camera of course.

Ive developed a hybrid approach. a 64GB CF card that doesn't leave the camera, and swapping out 16GB SD cards throughout the day, which go into a carrier on my belt. That way if all goes well I can upload to my computer off the CF card which transfers much faster than the SD cards. :-D

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 09, 2016 00:54 |  #34

Ltdave wrote in post #18121423 (external link)
not sure what RAID 1 is....

It's a data redundancy standard that uses several disks. If one of the disks dies you don't loose any data. RAID 1 uses 2 disks and just copies automatically any data on both disks. There are other RAID definition: E.g. RAID 5 uses 4 disks and makes sure that data is distributed in a way that any of the 4 can die without loosing any data. If you are planning a NAS then you should seriously thinking about using RAID.

Donate if you love POTN

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,295 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2016 02:14 |  #35

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18121488 (external link)
really?

seems like you're kinda asking a technical question in the OP? Raid is pretty basic once you get past typical PC level competence. I would definitely recommend something like a couple of HDs to store their data.

drmaxx wrote in post #18121888 (external link)
It's a data redundancy standard that uses several disks. If one of the disks dies you don't loose any data. RAID 1 uses 2 disks and just copies automatically any data on both disks. There are other RAID definition: E.g. RAID 5 uses 4 disks and makes sure that data is distributed in a way that any of the 4 can die without loosing any data. If you are planning a NAS then you should seriously thinking about using RAID.

1) I'm not the one setting up anything. It was a question that was asked by someone I know, that I brought here for insight

2) see 1 above. I'M not doing any of this...

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 09, 2016 02:27 |  #36

Ltdave wrote in post #18121917 (external link)
1) I'm not the one setting up anything. It was a question that was asked by someone I know, that I brought here for insight.

You asked - you are getting the answers. :-) Just rephrase it, if you don't like it ("If somebody is planning a NAS then they should seriously thinking about using RAID"). You (aka any person) need to think ahead, because RAID requires more disks then without RAID - but you gain up-time of your NAS.

Donate if you love POTN

mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 12, 2016 09:34 |  #37

You can get 6 tb or even 10tb hard rives now. Most of the mother boards support up to 6 hard drives so you might just get a nice tall big computer case and loading up with drives.

Avangard Photography (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 12, 2016 11:08 |  #38

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18072582 (external link)
perhaps have a cull of images and don't shoot at 10fps bursts anymore? haha!

Seriously, this!

I'm always confused when I hear about photographers needing 4+ TB of space. I'm guessing they probably import everything from their cards and then leave it all on the drive(s) even after final delivery to the client.

Also, I get the impression that Mac users are supremely guilty of this.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

limmes
34 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 13, 2016 07:15 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #39

I'm on edge with 4 TB.
It's because I have obligation to keep customer photos for 1 year. Usually I just keep jpeg's.
Then over season I have 30-40 events (wedding, christening and etc) (2000-5000 RAW files per event). So these tend to pile up and wait it's queue till retouch.
+ some personal pics
So at the end of the season 4TB is just so so ...

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 13, 2016 07:24 |  #40

smorter wrote in post #18083334 (external link)
Dunno about that - I have about 30 Hard Drives at home.

I shoot around 7000-9000 photos at every wedding, so I can only fit around 8 weddings onto a 2TB hard drive

Plus you need heaps of offsite backup drives too

So yeah I think I have about 30 hard drives, and I've only gone through 1 full wedding season. In 10 years time I'll probably have 300 drives.

tim wrote in post #18083340 (external link)
That is just an insane number of photos to keep. How many do you deliver? Delete your rejects and you'll save crazy amounts of space. A finished wedding is around 15GB for me, 600 odd images, so I can fit 133 weddings on a 2TB hard drive.

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18084882 (external link)
I find it pretty hard to believe you have 9k keepers per wedding..?

This conversation sounds familiar...lol
pretty sure we all had this same conversation on another thread ;)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by BlakeC.

Sep 13, 2016 07:28 |  #41

Am I the only one who uses cloud storage here? I just use Microsoft OneDrive, in addition to a 2 tb external at home.
I don't shoot weddings full-time, about 10 per year.
I keep client photos for 1 year, but only jpeg backups of the images i keep/deliver. They don't get to see or even know about what i cull out. I only keep the raws of the photos i deliver for a month after delivery.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links

8,521 views & 14 likes for this thread
storage issues for wedding photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.