Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Resolution of a 24-70 2.8L MKI on a Canon 6D

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,059 posts
Gallery: 549 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2016 18:28 |  #16

CheshireCat wrote in post #18079363 (external link)
... so your answer to the OP's question is ?

That on a 6D the Nyquist limit is about 78 LP/mm for a monochromatic grayscale subject, and 39 LP/mm is where its at for absolute full colour resolution. I would not want to pass much more than 55 LP/mm to the sensor of the 6D. I am sure that the maximum resolution of the original 24-70 f/2.9 L is going to be plenty enough for the 6D sensor. Actually I think the max resolution of the lens will be perfectly adequate on the 7DII or 5DS, or even the new Canon 24 MP APS-C sensors. My previous post being the reason why!

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by CheshireCat.

Jul 28, 2016 04:25 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #17

Ok, so we agree that it is a good lens on the 6D :)

Though, I wouldn't be worried about "too many" LP/mm for several reasons:
- Moire issues, assuming the subject is problematic, can be easily fixed in post (at least for stills).
- The LP/mm performance of a lens is usually calculated wide open on axis, may widely vary in the rest of the frame, varies with focus distance, and is easily exceeded when stopping down the lens a bit. So it is quite impractical, if not impossible, to use LP/mm when trying to understand what the best lens for a sensor is.
- If you stop down the lens further, diffraction kicks in and acts as a natural tunable AA filter that "fixes" Moire (yes, diffraction can be useful sometime !).
- If one is really worried about Moire (some video shooters), there are AA filter mods for the 6D. And actually, one could have bought a different device in the first place.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,155 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 28, 2016 05:41 |  #18

Theory is all good however my experiences showed that the mk II versions of the 24-70 and 70-200 were much better for resolution of details on my 5D3 and 7d2. The 24-70 did better at the edges for group photos and also for cropping down for a tighter portrait, and the 70-200 was better at contrast and a bit better for detail overall. I enjoy the new versions. The optical recipe on both are better than the originals, and those differences can be seen in back to back comparisons.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2016 06:44 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18079905 (external link)
I enjoy the new versions. The optical recipe on both are better than the originals, and those differences can be seen in back to back comparisons.

Sure. It would be nonsense for Canon if they weren't better than the previous versions.
However, the v2 does not make the old v1 insufficient for the 6D sensor. It is just not as technically good as the v2.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,155 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 28, 2016 15:18 as a reply to  @ CheshireCat's post |  #20

I have had 4, and none were very technically good, especially wide open. The first gen is a bit notorious for that. The lens is after all nearly 2 decades old.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Resolution of a 24-70 2.8L MKI on a Canon 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.