Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 06:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding client asked to have all raw images -advice?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by umphotography. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 09:30 |  #61

mdvaden wrote in post #18229307 (external link)
If you are a photographer, then the point of your reply may not carry much convincing weight regarding the OP's question.
Are you a photographer? Do you know how to adjust in Lightroom, Photoshop, ?

If the answer is yes, then you, like many of us, are not in the same league or shoes as the average wedding couple. A "couple" photos handed over to you, is incomparable to an unspecified number or RAW files given to a married couple.

Or anyone else.

After a few years of providing some RAW or unadjusted JPGs to various people for portraits and seeing the shots occassionally surface poorly tweaked or "as is" with my name connected as a "credit", I plan to avoid giving RAW whenever possible.

Unfortunately, your response does not carry a lot of weight. The reality is if you provide any electronic file at all, Once it is delivered to the client then it is out of your control. I have seen clients take Jpegs and Re-Adjust on I phones, crap edit programs, and totally destroy the look of the file I have provided. There is nothing you can do once you release a file.

The other reality is that IF you work in the wedding industry as a photographer, you will NOT get hired unless you provide digital files with your packages. The bridal market insists on it. So its a catch 22 situation with releasing files.

anyone can change the look of the file you provide and it doesnt matter if its a RAW,JPEG and DND file.....Most people have access to editing programs...you cant avoid this...Just the nature of the beast these days.

Photographers need to take the mind set of Film negatives out of the equation. Film days, we did not give away negatives. We went to print labs for negatives to be printed for photo needs......Those days....like the Edsel.....are long long gone. Film is DEAD. Digital in the new medium and clients demands will dictate how you will survive with this new era in photography.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 03, 2017 17:53 |  #62

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18226187 (external link)
One doesn't make a long term full time living in this game attracting "costco" clients.

I can think of 5 multi-millionairs I know (two close relatives) that all go to Costco for their print needs.

Costco prints are actually pretty good. Not perfection like I get from Pro Photo Connection, but good.

I'm just saying that a business model that doesn't include over charging for the "extras" after the fact is generally more viable.

Charge $9K for your services + full res digitals, no problem. But if you *then* start charging $1,000 for a 20x30 they can get from Pro Photo for $180 (or Costco for $80), you're begging for trouble. Well, maybe not "you" because you seem to have a special set of clientele not subject to the normal tenancies of economy...  :p

I'm not in this as a business but I do run my own successful business and the same principles apply. Anyway; as the other poster says, why try arguing the point...

Gear List / Photos (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2017 20:37 |  #63

NBEast wrote in post #18232209 (external link)
I can think of 5 multi-millionairs I know (two close relatives) that all go to Costco for their print needs.

5 people out of the general population is not statistically significant. Applying your own world views as reflective of those of the general market is your mistake there.

I'm just saying that a business model that doesn't include over charging for the "extras" after the fact is generally more viable.

You are basing that assertion on what exactly?

I'm basing mine on various industry surveys over the years and my experience working in the industry. Funnily enough the vast majority of the players who have been about the longest, serving the top 20% of the market have similar business models. Outside of the top 20% of the market you find the togs are largely part time and on a less than average wage income.

I'm not in this as a business

The is very evident as you don't understand how those who are, those who are long term, full time and making a decent income, are doing it.

Peter

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 03, 2017 22:02 |  #64

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18232368 (external link)
... The is very evident as you don't understand how those who are, those who are long term, full time and making a decent income, are doing it.

What's evident is that you are stubbornly bent on arguing. Good grief man, I've already said I agree with your pricing methods. What exactly are you arguing?

My point involves someone that corners wedding couples into 10x priced prints after they've already paid a steep fee, without an alternative.

Its just common sense. Don't gouge the customers.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 06, 2017 12:30 |  #65

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18226187 (external link)
One doesn't make a long term full time living in this game attracting "costco" clients.

Maybe you are implying something different than I'm seeing, but "costco" members tend to be upper middle class who are willing to spend more money for most things because they are getting a better product for their money. Wouldn't that be a trait you desire in a client?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 07, 2017 06:31 |  #66

mikeinctown wrote in post #18235578 (external link)
Maybe you are implying something different than I'm seeing

It's referring to clients who are more prone to print their own images at the cheapest possible location (and those least likely to buy an album etc). Which is in the the lower end of the market. At the top end of the market clients are more inclined to spend after the wedding as well as before it. I.e. there is a desire to buy more post wedding rather than just sticking to a set amount for just files before to it.

As for NBEast no one gets cornered into buying prints from photographers who don't sell digitals (or sell them at additional cost). Couples make a willing decision to hire those photographers in advance knowing what they are getting and not getting. Their "alternative" is to not hire that photographer in the first place. It's not gouge the customers, it is offering something for sale and the customer making a decision to buy it.

Peter

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 07, 2017 08:22 |  #67

Costco's One Hour Photo poster printing service uses Epson 7880 and 7890 printers with 8-color Epson UltraChrome K3TM inks.

Two paper types are offered: Fujifilm Photo Satin Paper (270 gsm) and Fujifilm RC Semi-Gloss Poster Board. The photo board stock has a semi-gloss paper fused to a 1.3mm thick (540 gsm), acid-free mounting board.

Is this poor equipment, paper, or ink?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,355 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden.

Jan 08, 2017 14:36 |  #68

umphotography wrote in post #18230615 (external link)
Unfortunately, your response does not carry a lot of weight. The reality is if you provide any electronic file at all, Once it is delivered to the client then it is out of your control. I have seen clients take Jpegs and Re-Adjust on I phones, crap edit programs, and totally destroy the look of the file I have provided. There is nothing you can do once you release a file.

What I wrote is fact. The certain amount of weight that my response carries is pretty much summed-up in what you didn't reply about. Supplying digital files to wedding couples does not necessitate supplying RAW, and be entirely limited to processed images. Happens often.

Once again, the OP has a very good point that's easy to resolve. As for you comment about film being dead, feel free to try and convince this guy:

I know several people who shoot film, or shot film and digital.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

12,419 views & 31 likes for this thread
Wedding client asked to have all raw images -advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.