Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography in public park+cops called.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 06, 2016 12:20 |  #16

Alveric wrote in post #18088118 (external link)
Heh, even old ladies will bark at you if they spot you with a camera pointed in their direction.

I rarely experience confrontations, but this very thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago while standing in the aisle on a Manhattan bus. I wasn't taking any photos, but i needed to look through the viewfinder to adjust some settings in the menu. I didn't want to point the camera down toward the woman seated beside me, so I chose to point it down the aisle with most of the passengers' backs toward me. In public places I'll sometimes cover the lens with my free hand so as to diffuse any alarmists, but to my regret I didn't do it this time. Naturally, there was an old crow of a woman berating me shortly thereafter. I tried to explain what I was doing and that I didn't have the slightest interest in her photo, but that didn't satisfy her. I went further, stating that even if I wanted to take her image I was in my right. Then she made some idle threat about taking the camera from me. So I said, "in that case", while shooting several images of her, "I am going to take a few," explaining how I'd use them to ID her if she so much as touched me or my equipment.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 06, 2016 12:35 |  #17

The thing about these confrontations with overprotective parents, is that the potential threat is statistically so remote. If people put half as much effort into addressing our real problems with children such as healthcare, nutrition, education, supervision, traffic control, and the far more prevalent abuse suffered at the hands of friends and family members, children would be much better off. Of course, that takes real work, while tilting at windmills will score you more points for the cosmetic victories.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mike_311. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2016 13:13 |  #18

"stranger danger" has likely done far more harm to public perceptions than any good that would have come from it. statistically if someone is going to harm your kids, they personally know your kids, but that didnt fit the narrative that was being pushed at the time.

so everyone is afraid of everyone just like they are afraid of everything... sigh. what a time.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,503 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 06, 2016 13:23 |  #19

Are there any documented cases of strangers photographing kids in public and then abducting them or otherwise harming them? It isn't clear what scenario the upset parents have in mind.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,051 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 06, 2016 13:36 |  #20

eddieb1 wrote in post #18088060 (external link)
You answered your own question. The writer wants to stir the pot so the reader continues to read. That's the biggest problem with freedom of speech. You can spew almost any kind of crap you want, and all that will usually happen will be an "Oops, sorry" from the writer. You see it on television all the time. A person is named, photo shown, and any info the news media can find, before the person is convicted of anything. You rarely hear of a retraction. If there is one, it's a blurb at the end of the 11:00 news after most people are in bed, and the accused has had their lives ruined.

Very true. The media is driven by ratings, which keep the money flowing.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 06, 2016 13:56 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

And keeping everyone scared and distrustful of everyone, even family members and acquaintances, just gives the state more power to intrude further and deeper into our lives. At these rate the police is gonna be installing cameras in our bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms "for our own protection and to record evidence, just in case something happens". :rolleyes:

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 06, 2016 14:16 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #18088209 (external link)
Are there any documented cases of strangers photographing kids in public and then abducting them or otherwise harming them? It isn't clear what scenario the upset parents have in mind.

Logic escapes people. There have been threads here on POTN (several years ago) where several people hotly proposed that putting photographs of your own children online was taking some kind of huge risk. I'd challenge these people as to what risk they envisioned, and they never could come up with anything specific.

When you think about some random pedophile sorting through literally millions of photographs online, then tracking down where one specific kid lives, and then driving halfway across the country to find this one kid......it all starts to sound just as silly as it is.

Pinebomb hit the nail on the head in post #17. Any real molestation danger to kids will come from someone they know and trust in 99.99% of cases.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 06, 2016 14:23 |  #23

Done what?

Years ago I posted a similar thread..."photographin​g kids in a public park and parents called the cops"
White daddy shooting black kids...not wanting to create a scene in front of kids, I submitted my ID and was checked out.
Did get a picture though.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …3/chauncey43/37​9U0987.jpg (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,870 posts
Gallery: 1071 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 06, 2016 14:27 |  #24

Archibald wrote in post #18088224 (external link)

and by sensationalism which serves the same purpose!

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Aug 06, 2016 14:28 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Likewise with photos of strangers and random people. Even if you upload them to Flickr or publish them in a book. WHO, other than the subjects relatives, friends or co-workers is gonna be recognising her (and I use the feminine in this case because it's usually women getting freaked out over this, not because I bow to poo-litical nonsensess) and start a stalking campaign?

I've images of female passers-by on my Flickr (taken with a telephoto :eek:, oh trouts, what a pervert I am! :cry: :rolleyes: ) and so far nobody has ever contacted me asking for their particulars, address or phone number. I mean, really, how ridiculous can some people get?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 06, 2016 15:00 as a reply to  @ post 18087867 |  #26

Very well said Ron (frozenframe).

It certainly is a different sad world today when someone in a public park with a camera or cellphone is accused of something and is presumed guilty just because some people are uncomfortable with them.

Steve

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,051 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 06, 2016 16:24 |  #27

Archibald wrote in post #18088224 (external link)

itsallart wrote in post #18088275 (external link)
and by sensationalism which serves the same purpose!

The goal is to make money, which is done by boosting ratings (so advertisers have a bigger audience), which is achieved by sensationalism, spin, music, drumbeats, bobbing of heads, graphics, and injecting emotion into stories.

Most folks are not particularly aware of this and quite enjoy how the media presents the news.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,870 posts
Gallery: 1071 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 06, 2016 16:48 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #28

I'm glad, I'm not like most folks; sensationalism makes me sick

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by runninmann.

Aug 06, 2016 17:28 |  #29

When I lived in the Bay Area, one TV station general manager said what sells is "sluts, guts and nuts."

My Gear

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 07, 2016 05:37 |  #30

Anyone ever watch the "photography is not a crime" group on YouTube?

Hold your ground if confronted on public property. If they threaten to call the police, tell them to do it, if the officer knows the law they'll tell them to pound sand. No expectation of privacy in public.

And even the police can't search your camera without a warrant or force you to delete something. If they cause trouble, record your interactions with them and get their name and badge number.

(This is based on US first amendment law, other countries may vary drastically)

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

sponsored links

8,001 views & 32 likes for this thread
Photography in public park+cops called.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.