Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Aug 2016 (Friday) 22:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Parabolix - Just what I've been waiting for!

nixland
491 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2016 23:00 |  #16

absplastic wrote in post #18126160 (external link)
nixland wrote in post #18125910 (external link)
By the way in the article you mentioned about Profoto B1.
Profoto B1 is not suitable for parabolic modifiers due to its strobe head design which send most of the light forward than to all direction. I am not sure if frosted dome can spread the light evenly. But let's your test results.

With the glass dome, they are still more directional than a bare flash tube, obvious if you pop the flash looking at in on-axis, vs 90 degrees off axis. The frosted dome is also going to be a much more diffuse source than a bare bulb. From what I've seen though, the D1/B1 seem to get the desired effect inside Broncolor Paras. It may not be exactly the same distribution or softness of light as with a bare flash tube, but I've never seen a side-by-side comparison.

I have the Parabolix 55" and deep 30" headed my way, and I'll be using them exclusively with the Flashpoint Xplor 600. I have the handheld extension head, which is what I plan to mount on the focusing rod, leaving the power pack at the base of the stand.

B1 will get minimal effects on deep para because it needs more light to the side and to the back.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
JoakimD
52 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 13, 2016 13:44 |  #17

I second what the others said, i.e. a Profoto B1/B2 will not produce the ring light in the defocused position which these modifiers are known for. Putting the glass dome on the B1 will help, but it will not yield nearly the same result as a bare bulb design.

https://instagram.com/​joakim_drake/ (external link)
http://www.joakimdrake​.se/ (external link)

ezzyz
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by ezzyz.

Sep 13, 2016 19:28 |  #18

nixland wrote in post #18125910 (external link)
By the way in the article you mentioned about Profoto B1.
Profoto B1 is not suitable for parabolic modifiers due to its strobe head design which send most of the light forward than to all direction. I am not sure if frosted dome can spread the light evenly. But let's your test results.

We did think about the bare bulb vs recessed reflector and have shared our thoughts on the blog.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.thebroketog​raphers.com …133-w-profoto-ocf-flashes (external link)

EZRA
Gear List

Cicada-
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Cicada-.

Sep 13, 2016 21:16 |  #19

nixland wrote in post #18126187 (external link)
B1 will get minimal effects on deep para because it needs more light to the side and to the back.

JoakimD wrote in post #18126797 (external link)
I second what the others said, i.e. a Profoto B1/B2 will not produce the ring light in the defocused position which these modifiers are known for. Putting the glass dome on the B1 will help, but it will not yield nearly the same result as a bare bulb design.

I did consider that, and tested prior to buying. I could not find ANY first hand info on the combo while doing research, so we did some ourselves. @ezzyz and I did testing on rental units prior to my buying the Para133, and came up with a sort of "workaround", though not optimal and pretty expensive.

http://www.thebroketog​raphers.com …133-w-profoto-ocf-flashes (external link)

we are doing more testing, but in short, you can still get a similar effect from the recessed flash tube and integrated reflector of the B1's and B2's if you can get it out far enough. The result for B1's and B2's is identical the ringlight-esque catchlight is not as prominent with the B1's and B2's as it is with the Broncolor heads, but the qualities and characteristics of light from the two remain very similar, despite Profoto's recessed flashtube design in the B1/B2/D1's.

see below:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/glXMZ5I.jpg

-lots of stuff-

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 14, 2016 00:47 |  #20

If it will not work with a speedlite or a Elinchrom quadra head it's useless to me. I parting with everything else in the future

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

nixland
491 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 14, 2016 00:49 as a reply to  @ Cicada-'s post |  #21

Very broad ring light :)

Can you share too the light pattern comparison shot where all strobe on focus point position?

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 01:02 |  #22

Blackey Cole wrote in post #18127513 (external link)
If it will not work with a speedlite or a Elinchrom quadra head it's useless to me. I parting with everything else in the future

Parabolix makes a speedlight mount where 2 speedlights can be used with their universal flash bracket for their parabolix modifiers.

-lots of stuff-

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 01:07 |  #23

nixland wrote in post #18127514 (external link)
Very broad ring light :)

Can you share too the light pattern comparison shot where all strobe on focus point position?

absolutely.

here's some comparisons. I dont have any of my B1's yet, but the 77-degree spread on those is identical to the B2's, so the result should be the same.

i've also added the ABR800 focused and defocused here. I just used a boom arm for the ABR and Einstein, as I only have broncolor and profoto adapters for the focusing rods.

ABR800 Defocused

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/kxkLdvHh.jpg

ABR800 Focused

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/faW9WHqh.jpg

Profoto B2 Focused

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/r0uMy5Fh.jpg

Einstein Focused

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/c98EY8Oh.jpg

Broncolor MobiLED focused

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/FzomrBdh.jpg

-lots of stuff-

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 01:10 |  #24

So we see that fully focused, the ABR800 and B2/B1's have a very narrow, focused beam coming out of the para, without much fill. Almost like a large reflector (like a Magnum, but with a tiny bit of fill from the light bouncing around the inside of the para.

-lots of stuff-

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 01:18 |  #25

absplastic wrote in post #18126160 (external link)
From what I've seen though, the D1/B1 seem to get the desired effect inside Broncolor Paras. It may not be exactly the same distribution or softness of light as with a bare flash tube, but I've never seen a side-by-side comparison.

You still do get the parabolic effect from the B1's, B2's and D1's in the Para.

there are very subtle differences, but on the whole you do still get the same texture and general qualities, despite its recessed flash tube.

I did some side-by side comparisons the other day, and it's not a _whole_ lot different.

once I can get a model to help me out with doing some test shots to compare B1, B2, and the MobiLED heads all in the para133, i'll post them up

also, as @ezzyz mentioned, we do plan to do a comparison between the Para 133 and the parabolix 45 as soon as we can. If we can rent, buy, or otherwise get our hands on the Para 88 before then we'll compare it with the parabolix equivalent.

as in my writeup, we do expect that there won't be a huuuuuge difference to justify why you'd want to spend 3-4x+ the amount for a broncolor or briese equivalent.

-lots of stuff-

JoakimD
52 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 14, 2016 02:06 |  #26

Cicada- wrote in post #18127528 (external link)
You still do get the parabolic effect from the B1's, B2's and D1's in the Para.

there are very subtle differences, but on the whole you do still get the same texture and general qualities, despite its recessed flash tube.

I did some side-by side comparisons the other day, and it's not a _whole_ lot different.

once I can get a model to help me out with doing some test shots to compare B1, B2, and the MobiLED heads all in the para133, i'll post them up

also, as @ezzyz mentioned, we do plan to do a comparison between the Para 133 and the parabolix 45 as soon as we can. If we can rent, buy, or otherwise get our hands on the Para 88 before then we'll compare it with the parabolix equivalent.

as in my writeup, we do expect that there won't be a huuuuuge difference to justify why you'd want to spend 3-4x+ the amount for a broncolor or briese equivalent.

The desired ring light effect is achieved when you have a large dark center. I think your images above proves it, just take a look at when you have a Broncolor MobiLED on the focusing rod.

Would be interesting to see if Parabolix can create the same ring light effect. If you can, use an AcuteB/Acute/ProHead on a Parabolix and do the same kind of shots you did before.

JoakimD
52 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 14, 2016 02:12 |  #27

I must say, using a B2 on a Para 222 focusing rod on a Para 133 is very creative. And at the same time extremely unpractical. :D

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 02:48 |  #28

JoakimD wrote in post #18127549 (external link)
I must say, using a B2 on a Para 222 focusing rod on a Para 133 is very creative. And at the same time extremely unpractical. :D

it worked well enough in the meantime for me. now i just have to get a P222 to pair with it :P

-lots of stuff-

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Cicada-. (2 edits in all)

Sep 14, 2016 02:52 |  #29

JoakimD wrote in post #18127544 (external link)
The desired ring light effect is achieved when you have a large dark center. I think your images above proves it, just take a look at when you have a Broncolor MobiLED on the focusing rod.

Would be interesting to see if Parabolix can create the same ring light effect. If you can, use an AcuteB/Acute/ProHead on a Parabolix and do the same kind of shots you did before.

The Acute heads will create that effect on a parabolix, and also create the "starbust" pattern on the larger 55" when mid-focused (see below).

ignore the shadows from the adapter cage -- the acute head did not have its dome on. With the dome, the shadows went away.

Second picture shows an acute head fully defocused on a Parabolix 55.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-lots of stuff-

Cicada-
106 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2016 02:53 |  #30

Here's one of my B1's, defocused, on a Parabolix 55. Doesn't achieve the "ringlight" effect when defocused, but will still work and create a beautiful quality of light.

HOSTED PHOTO

-lots of stuff-

sponsored links

18,173 views & 3 likes for this thread
Parabolix - Just what I've been waiting for!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.