Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

ilumo
Goldmember
1,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2016 10:50 |  #4021

Capn Fishy wrote in post #18162935 (external link)
=Cap'n Fishy;18162935]Anyone else find this annoying?

On the mkIII, the depth of field preview button lay under my third finger. I had it configured to toggle between 'one shot' and 'servo AF'. Any time I wanted a quick change of mode, I just pressed in with my third finger tip. However, the button has moved downwards on the mkIV. It's now beyond my third finger, lying across from my little finger... which is too short to reach it! To reach it now, I have to change my whole grip on the camera and squidge down and across with my third finger.

Why did they move it?

Col

really? I dont really notice the move dramatically impacting my use. However, maybe you should swicth to back button focusing, and just have it on AI servo 100%. I am testing that method out, and man, is it so much better... so far :)

Body: 5D Mark IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 17-40 f/4.0L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2016 11:08 |  #4022

On the mkIII, the depth of field preview button lay under my third finger. I had it configured to toggle between 'one shot' and 'servo AF'. Any time I wanted a quick change of mode, I just pressed in with my third finger tip. However, the button has moved downwards on the mkIV. It's now beyond my third finger, lying across from my little finger... which is too short to reach it! To reach it now, I have to change my whole grip on the camera and squidge down and across with my third finger.

Why did they move it?

Col

It doesn't really bother me. I think after a while your muscle memory will reprogram itself and you'll forget about it.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

sploo
premature adulation
2,415 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 21, 2016 11:12 |  #4023

gjl711 wrote in post #18162883 (external link)
One question on those experiencing battery drain. Do you have the GPS enabled? Just wondering i the GPS still tries to maintain position even when powered off.

Both off for me too.

Why did they move it?

Col

I hadn't noticed that - but I really dislike the differences between the body and the BG-E20 grip (and find the grip shape on the BG-E20 very uncomfortable). Just shows how ergonomic stuff can be a real pain for one user, but something another user doesn't notice (others have told me they think the grip is fine, and conversely I hadn't noticed the DOF button had moved).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Cap'n ­ Fishy
878 posts
Gallery: 1221 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by Cap'n Fishy.

Oct 21, 2016 11:58 |  #4024

ilumo wrote in post #18162944 (external link)
really? I dont really notice the move dramatically impacting my use. However, maybe you should swicth to back button focusing, and just have it on AI servo 100%. I am testing that method out, and man, is it so much better... so far :)

I've used back button focusing exclusively for over 12 years (since my first dSLR - a 10D). I have the 2 back buttons set up differently, so that option isn't available. Can you even set up one back button to be Servo AF and the other to be 'One Shot'? Anyroad, the DoF preview button is perfect for the job of toggling between the modes. I'll need to fashion a Tony Iomi style extension for my pinkie!

These are small, but the ones out there are far away.
flickr (external link)

Jammin606
38 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 21, 2016 13:05 as a reply to  @ post 18162883 |  #4025

My battery is draining itself left out of the camera. I'm currently testing to see how much it loses each day.

I don't think TC's, Wifi, GPS etc. are the cause, I suspect it's a faulty batch of batteries that were shipped with the first wave of 5D IV's

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 21, 2016 13:07 |  #4026

Jammin606 wrote in post #18163055 (external link)
My battery is draining itself left out of the camera. I'm currently testing to see how much it loses each day.

I don't think TC's, Wifi, GPS etc. are the cause, I suspect it's a faulty batch of batteries that were shipped with the first wave of 5D IV's

Oh oh.. Were they Samsung batteries? We gonna see some melted 5Ds soon?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Jammin606
38 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jammin606.

Oct 21, 2016 13:08 |  #4027

gjl711 wrote in post #18163056 (external link)
Oh oh.. Were they Samsung batteries? We gonna see some melted 5Ds soon?

Maybe I should leave it in a non-flammable location, just in case...

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 21, 2016 13:22 |  #4028

Jammin606 wrote in post #18163058 (external link)
Maybe I should leave it in a non-flammable location, just in case...

I have actually modified my device charging regime where Li ion batteries are involved. No longer just leave them on the table with paper nearby. We now charge on our granite counter so if something does happen, we get some scorched granite but the house stays un-crispy. :):):) For yucks a while back we drove a nail through an old cell phone battery and was quite surprised at the result. Down right impressive. Wish I had recorded it but I was not expecting such a spectacular show.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2016 13:33 |  #4029

Capn Fishy wrote in post #18163002 (external link)
=Cap'n Fishy;18163002]Can you even set up one back button to be Servo AF and the other to be 'One Shot'?

You sure can. Been doing since I got the 7D2. It is a bit cumbersome to explain but in the custom menu when you set a button for BBF watch the screen. You'll get an option for detail setup where you can configure an entirely different AF scenario for the button including one shot or AI servo. A fellow member put this video together. Give it a look...

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=D_R77Gs8Q6E (external link)

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 21, 2016 13:50 |  #4030

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18162751 (external link)
Yes, law became effective after The Note 7 issues

I think Talley clarified all of this in a subsequent reply, you really should read past the original post. ;)

Ahh makes sense.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Nethawked
801 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 21, 2016 14:16 |  #4031

nqjudo wrote in post #18163097 (external link)
You sure can. Been doing since I got the 7D2. It is a bit cumbersome to explain but in the custom menu when you set a button for BBF watch the screen. You'll get an option for detail setup where you can configure an entirely different AF scenario for the button including one shot or AI servo. A fellow member put this video together. Give it a look...

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=D_R77Gs8Q6E (external link)

I do the same. AF-ON for one shot + focus, * is configured for AI-SERVO. Works great. The custom configurations are da bomb.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2016 14:56 |  #4032

Nethawked wrote in post #18163135 (external link)
I do the same. AF-ON for one shot + focus, * is configured for AI-SERVO. Works great. The custom configurations are da bomb.

Lol. I have mine set up the exact opposite. The customization is great!

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 21, 2016 14:56 |  #4033

No Gps or Wifi when my battery died.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Nethawked
801 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 21, 2016 15:14 |  #4034

nqjudo wrote in post #18163168 (external link)
Lol. I have mine set up the exact opposite. The customization is great!

Ha! Mine was reversed but years of using BBF with AF-ON, muscle memory sent my brain on overload so I switched.

GammyKnee
220 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Oct 21, 2016 15:27 |  #4035

I realise it's still very close to the 5D4's release, but does anyone know if the 5D4 sensor requires the same (unusual) level of care when cleaning as the 1DX II sensor?

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: EOS R + 6DII, assorted lenses, Yongnuo flash

sponsored links

826,287 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.