Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Aug 2016 (Sunday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where's my friend Jon?

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by 2mnycars.

Aug 28, 2016 21:15 |  #1

I've been a member here for a while, and I counted on Jon for help.

I'm an old film buff, and even had a small photography business for years that was profitable.

Jon helped me with special zest when my Dome gear was causing me concern.

Is Jon ok?

It appears he was last active about 4 months ago.

Thanks for help, I care.

Dave L

Toronto

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,464 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 29, 2016 05:15 |  #2

I suspect he & the forum parted ways...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 29, 2016 11:39 |  #3

Jon doesn't post on POTN now, but you may be able to reach him by PM.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2016 13:02 |  #4

There are a lot o people that seem to just disappear from the forum, and I really miss a lot of them. Some people post a lot for years and years and years, and then one day I realize I haven't seen their posts in a while, so I click on their member profile and see that they haven't posted at all for quite some time. That sucks!

Often, I PM the people that I miss. In fact, I probably send out 5 or 6 such PMs each month, just trying to keep track of everyone. But more often than not, the PM never gets answered. And so I never find out if they are ok or not. Kind of a bummer.

So, perhaps I can ask if any of you know what has happened to:

Mike55

FlyingPhotog

hollis_f

TheHoff

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,245 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Scrumhalf.

Aug 29, 2016 13:07 |  #5

I miss Hollis. He is a (retired) spectroscopist and he always brought a scientific and empirical approach to the discussion, which as a fellow scientist, I really liked.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Aug 29, 2016 13:18 |  #6

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18110343 (external link)
I miss Hollis. He is a (retired) spectroscopist and he always brought a scientific and empirical approach to the discussion, which as a fellow scientist, I really liked.

I have reached out to him twice via PM. I have not received any response from Frank.

I also tried to find him by using Google, and all I got were dead ends. I wish that I was more skilled and/or proficient at using the internet to find information. I don't have the money to hire web-based investigators to do it for me, nor do I have the time or inclination to learn how to do it myself.

It's really sad when someone that you really appreciate just disappears.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,231 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by LV Moose.

Aug 29, 2016 13:50 |  #7

I believe Jon took umbrage at having his wrist slapped by Pekka in regards to his overexuberance as a moderator in a certain thread back in April. He may still be lurking, but I don't know.

It would be nice to see him back.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by 2mnycars.

Aug 29, 2016 20:13 |  #8

Jon and I were "friends" on the Tiffen Domke forum. I just tried to look there. I believe the forum is gone.

I had several conversations with Mr Domke. I truly enjoyed talking with him. Jon is so knowledgable about Domke gear

DaveL

Edit

The Tiffen/Domke forum is dead. It was hacked several times. Tiffen says it's no more

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,726 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 29, 2016 20:56 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18110338 (external link)

There are a lot o people that seem to just disappear from the forum, and I really miss a lot of them. Some people post a lot for years and years and years, and then one day I realize I haven't seen their posts in a while, so I click on their member profile and see that they haven't posted at all for quite some time. That sucks!

Often, I PM the people that I miss. In fact, I probably send out 5 or 6 such PMs each month, just trying to keep track of everyone. But more often than not, the PM never gets answered. And so I never find out if they are ok or not. Kind of a bummer.

Mike55

FlyingPhotog

hollis_f

TheHoff

I asked one of the mods about Frank Hollis. I miss his humor. The mod didn't have any information.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,726 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 29, 2016 20:58 |  #10

I'm also one of Jon's Domke disciples. I have three of their bags and Jon helped me design the interiors for maximum use.

I did PM Frank Hollis as well a while back.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 31, 2016 21:22 |  #11

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18110859 (external link)
I'm also one of Jon's Domke disciples. I have three of their bags and Jon helped me design the interiors for maximum use.

I did PM Frank Hollis as well a while back.

I better work harder at staying in touch with high quality friends here

Domke sales are a joke here. Canada. Henrys prices are out of sight. Stock? no. accessories? forget about it. Now the Canadian dollar has tanked. I want a 3 chamber insert Jon recommended. For my F2. I'll get it in due course. Put together a wish list at a US store...

Until recently Billingham bags were cheaper than Domke in Canada.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2016 13:38 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18110338 (external link)

Mike55

FlyingPhotog

hollis_f

TheHoff

Jay (Flying Photog) has been very active as a business and his photography and putting out work onto FaceBook -- you can catch up to him via his name Jay Beckman or his business name Crosswind Images -- he's very active and puts out great stuff!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 02, 2016 14:21 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #13

Hollis helped me when I was just starting out. I recall seeing a post from him that basically said goodbye to the forum because people were too sensitive to his replies (my interpretation).

flickr (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,065 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 02, 2016 14:22 |  #14

I too miss Jon. He was a very helpful fellow.

Mark

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,735 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 02, 2016 15:03 |  #15

When things got out of hand in threads, Jon was quick to restore order in his own, rather unique no-nonsense way. I miss him a lot.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,423 views & 23 likes for this thread
Where's my friend Jon?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.